Value of: Grubauer or Lehner to the Canes

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I've been thinking about a lot and realized I don't want to trade neither Holtby nor Gruby within the division. We are not a powerhouse anymore, so we will be competing with Carolina for a playoff spot. I don't want them to have a good goalie. Gruby is good, he is a main reason Germany played in the Olympics. Holtby is elite. Both of them could bring a bad team to playoffs. So I would say no, unless it's a huge overpayment.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Fantastic but teams need a legitimate #1 if you don't have one you go nowhere, look at the difference Andersen has made for the Leafs

Who knows if Lehner will start playing well in a different team? Andersen was at a shaky phase, when he was acquired by the Leafs.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Grubauer’s value has only increased with his play down the stretch. He’s quietly showing he can handle being a #1 and he’s doing it in front of a defense that has regressed since the past two presidents trophy teams

The Caps are going to want a Varlamov/Schneider /Martin Jones type deal and not a Cam Talbot type deal

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
For those too young to remember:

Cole suffered a fractured vertebra from the hit (and was very nearly rendered a quadriplegic) and didn't return until Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals and was never quite the same player afterwards.

Orpik is such a cheap shot *****. Has no problem gooning it up, but too cowardly to atone for his actions.

I was so glad when Shawn Thornton knocked his ass out a few years ago. Justice served

As for thread itself, Carolina needs an established #1. These reclamation projects of backups have far from panned out ( look at Khudoben, Peters and Lack ) For all we know Lehner or Grubauer could be another Scott Darling ( to a lesser degree obviously, but I’m sure you get the gist)

Last edited by a moderator:

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Bad idea.

Aaron Dell is better than both those two. Dell can still be had at the draft for a good pick.

On what world is he better?

Career Stats:
Dell:
GP: 46
GAA: 2.36
SV%: .921

Grubauer:
GP: 95
GAA: 2.26
SV%: .924

This season:
Dell:
GP: 26
GAA: 2.65
SV%: .914

Grubauer:
GP: 29
GAA: 2.26
SV%: .925

Even-strength SV%:
Dell:
Career: .926
This season: .911

Grubauer:
Career: .932
This season: .938

It's not even remotely close.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He also gave Skinner one his concussions. And has made another handful of questionable hits against the Canes. The grudge won't leave, he's just a nasty player, and has quietly done it over the years.
To be fair I'm pretty sure I gave Skinner one of his concussions, I sneezed in Northern VA while the Caps played the Canes in DC. But yes, Orpik is indefensible.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Every goalie goes into a slump every now and then, when Holtby is on he’s a top 10 goalie maybe even top 5.

I wouldn’t be giving up on Holtby quite yet, could be a very bad mistake also his value is lowered due to the tough season he’s put forth.
The defense in front of him changed drastically over the summer as well, so all the blame can’t go to just Holtby alone.

If I was Washington’s GM I’d keep the Holtby and Grubauer tandem together for next year then trade Grubauer at 2019 draft.

The caps desperately need to get rid of Orpik’s contract.

It also didn’t help that Brian MacLellan overpaid for Oshie and Orlov.
Oshie yes, Orlov no.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I mean Justin Williams speared Koivu in the eye while playing for the Canes because he was torching them so badly in their series and they welcomed him back with open arms, so clearly they don't mind dirty nearly as much as all the ankle biting in the thread would suggest. Don't see why they'd hold Orpik to a different standard.

Reactions: AnishLoomba

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I mean Justin Williams speared Koivu in the eye while playing for the Canes because he was torching them so badly in their series and they welcomed him back with open arms, so clearly they don't mind dirty nearly as much as all the ankle biting in the thread would suggest. Don't see why they'd hold Orpik to a different standard.

Because Orpik did it to one of their own at the time. Koivu was never a Cane.

Wings had no second thoughts trading for Bertuzzi after he ambushed Moore. Does anybody honestly believe that Lemieux ever had a chance of playing for Detroit after he rearranged Drapers face, basically turning a conference rivalry into a blood feud. But that never stopped him from playing for 4 more teams.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Canes' fans... y'all don't like the Sabres or their fans. Why would you want to do this to yourselves? Why, why, why would you want to inflict "ZOMG!!!1!!ONE!!-i!!! YOU TOOK LEHNER, HE SUXORS!!" on yourselves from rabid Sabre fans? Why?

That said, I can drive up to Raleigh to help him get from the airport to the rink.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Canes' fans... y'all don't like the Sabres or their fans. Why would you want to do this to yourselves? Why, why, why would you want to inflict "ZOMG!!!1!!ONE!!-i!!! YOU TOOK LEHNER, HE SUXORS!!" on yourselves from rabid Sabre fans? Why?

That said, I can drive up to Raleigh to help him get from the airport to the rink.

Because Darling.

Reactions: MinJaBen

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I'm not trading anything for Lehner, he's not worth his QO. If Carolina can get him in FA for 1.5-2 take a flyer, but not at starter money + trading an asset.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I could see the Canes going for Holtby given their new owner seems to want to make a splash. Probably would cost them Darling, Fluery and a 2018 1st but it'd be worth it IMO.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I could see the Canes going for Holtby given their new owner seems to want to make a splash. Probably would cost them Darling, Fluery and a 2018 1st but it'd be worth it IMO.

The whole point would be not get a 4 million deadweight goalie back

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I have heard that Grub has wanted to be a starter for some time so the Sabres and Canes make perfect sense as teams fir him to go to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad