Value of: Grubauer or Lehner to the Canes

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps would want a return in the same ballpark as what Martin Jones, Frederik Andersen, or Robin Lehner to Buffalo fetched.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Fluery + Darling for Holtby + Dump not named Orpik
I'll let the cap fans answer this for value. But holtby has been trash this season and is paid a lot of money. If grubs can get the job done...better to use that cap money savings and shore up the defense.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Orpik is perhaps the singularly most reviled player by the Carolina Hurricanes fanbase. Yes, even 12 years later.

It has nothing to do with the contract and everything to do with the player and his history with the organization. It would be like the Isles bringing in Dale Hunter.
interesting. did not know that. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
I'll let the cap fans answer this for value. But holtby has been trash this season and is paid a lot of money. If grubs can get the job done...better to use that cap money savings and shore up the defense.

I'm down with moving Holtby and going ahead with Grubauer but Holtby was a Vezina finalist last year and won the Vezina a year before. He's got about as high of a pedigree as you're likely to find in a potentially available goaltender right now.

Most goalies who are killing it this season are gonna slump next season, just the nature of the position. But some team will probably pay real value for him, whereas Fleury + Darling is negative value.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I'm down with moving Holtby and going ahead with Grubauer but Holtby was a Vezina finalist last year and won the Vezina a year before. He's got about as high of a pedigree as you're likely to find in a potentially available goaltender right now.

Most goalies who are killing it this season are gonna slump next season, just the nature of the position. But some team will probably pay real value for him, whereas Fleury + Darling is negative value.
That's the thing with goalies they're so inconsistent. Rather save money investing in something more needed. I've seen enough of grubs to know that he can be a capable nhl goalie. Can his peak be as high as holtbys? Who knows. But that cap difference can get you guys a legit upgrade elsewhere.

At least with holtby...6.1 is nothing in contrast to prices 10.5 million lol

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
For those too young to remember:

Cole suffered a fractured vertebra from the hit (and was very nearly rendered a quadriplegic) and didn't return until Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals and was never quite the same player afterwards.

awful incident, but you ought to think after 12 years you'd let go of a grudge

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
That's the thing with goalies they're so inconsistent. Rather save money investing in something more needed. I've seen enough of grubs to know that he can be a capable nhl goalie. Can his peak be as high as holtbys? Who knows. But that cap difference can get you guys a legit upgrade elsewhere.

At least with holtby...6.1 is nothing in contrast to prices 10.5 million lol

Some are more consistent than others, only ones you could argue to be as or more consistent than Holtby are Lundqvist, Bobrovsky, Price and Quick. That's where all the goalie value and $$$ lies.

Carolina hasn't acquired a single established goalie in his prime since Ward, they keep trying to hit on the Darlings and Lacks and god knows who else and those guys can't stand on their own with whatever Carolina's defense and goaltending coach is, perhaps Holtby can since he has the experience of hundreds of games played at a high level.

Reactions: DaveG

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Unless the canes are going to get a top flight goalie, it makes more sense for them to get a free agent for nothing.

They still need a #1 center and should focus their assets on a trade for that need....

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Every goalie goes into a slump every now and then, when Holtby is on he’s a top 10 goalie maybe even top 5.

I wouldn’t be giving up on Holtby quite yet, could be a very bad mistake also his value is lowered due to the tough season he’s put forth.
The defense in front of him changed drastically over the summer as well, so all the blame can’t go to just Holtby alone.

If I was Washington’s GM I’d keep the Holtby and Grubauer tandem together for next year then trade Grubauer at 2019 draft.

The caps desperately need to get rid of Orpik’s contract.

It also didn’t help that Brian MacLellan overpaid for Oshie and Orlov.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad