Advice: Growing Flow (What is the best way?)

TheeNorthStar

Ok, dis hockey
Jun 2, 2012
MSP
easier said then done my friend. since my hair is so thick, im restricted to wearing beanies/hats pretty much all the time...unless i feel like sporting a 'fro. i try not to wash it too often as it fros out the most after a fresh wash. the greasier it is, the easier it is to contain

Story of my life. And I don't even have "flow" lol

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
for that inbetween stage before full flow happens you need to work on your wings, when you get out of the shower pat your hair dry a little then toss on the hat. the wings will form infront of and behind your ears. i have heard of guys blow drying them to make them curl up, i think that is like scoring empty net goals but you have to do what you have to do. approx 3-4 months and your wings will not work anymore, they will flop down or look extensive. dont get discouraged though, because her comes the best part, its like a cattepillar going into a coccun, you take off the coccuun hat and you have beautiful butterfly esque flow. be careful though because you will have to get used to girls begging to run their fingers through it, jealous bald haters trying to disrespect it. it will get caught in your helmet from time to time and get in your eyes when you get rocked, but damn it looks good.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
the job i have doesnt allow for flow but i am jealous just thinking about having the locks of doom again.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've got curly hair so I know all about the 'fro.

Curly hair doesn't get as much oil from the scalp as straight hair. Shampoo basically has dish soap in it to cut the grease, and for curly hair it makes it dry and frizzy and poof into an afro.

Use shampoo without sulfates or just use conditioner and scrub your scalp with your fingers. A little gel or cream can help smooth out the hair too.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
For one to have flow, one must be dedicated, you have to go all in. There's gonna be some awkward stages for a while, but you just have to push through it. I found hats are the way to go for that time, just get it flowing over the top, throw on a hat and no one notices. Until the glorious day where you reach optimum flow, and all is well.

Just commit to doing it and don't care what others think of you. The awkward stages suck, but it will be worth it.

Dysentery

Ottawa Senators
Sep 14, 2011
New Brunswick
Tip:

Once you have the flow, you must use your hands to sweep it out of your face.DO NOT FLICK YOUR HEAD BACK TO GET THE HAIR OUT OF YOUR FACE, YOU WILL LOOK LIKE A WOMAN!!

...this will make your hair greasy though. This is fine for me because im a greaseball.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
It's best to cater your flow-style to the type of hair you have.
The Giroux's and Letang's brand isn't just for anyone. If you don't have the right type of hair you won't pull it off.

Some tips on acquiring these flow-styles:
Step 1- The journey to relishing a flow begins with medium-length hair. Get your hair to ears length.

Step 2- After you get out of the shower every morning, with your hair damp, give it a throughal brush.

Step 3- Brush it in a manner that slicks the bangs up over your forhead slightly to one side

Step 4- Tuck the hair on the sides of your head behind your ears

Step5- Put on a baseball hat, making sure the bangs do not show and are under your hat. Also make sure the sides are still tucked behind your ears.

Step 6- Go on with your day. Make sure your hat does not come off your head as long as your hair is damp. When your hair dries, feel free to remove the hat.

If you repeat these steps everyday you will possess the standard Giroux-esque flow by the time your hair grows to full length.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
Trim the ends. It gets rid of split ends and keeps it looking nice. Big difference between a cut and a trim.

Yeah you def need to cut the ends or it looks scraggly. Get flow bro, you won't regret it. It feels great when you are skating as you can feel it bounce off your neck.

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
Reading this thread makes me glad that I'm a girl and already have a nice ponytail. But if I put it in a scrunchie, it's not really flow, is it?

I can't imagine wearing my flow "out" on purpose. I forgot my scrunchie once. ONCE. It was miserable.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Reading this thread makes me glad that I'm a girl and already have a nice ponytail. But if I put it in a scrunchie, it's not really flow, is it?

I can't imagine wearing my flow "out" on purpose. I forgot my scrunchie once. ONCE. It was miserable.

if your salad isnt sticking out every hole and gap in your helmet then it just isnt flow. there should be random lettuce sticking out all over the place.

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO

the ponytail kills the flow. how can you live with yourself?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
... erm, not me. Sort of like Rod Stewart's when it was long, only electrified even further if thats even possible... like I'd literally been.... electrified.... which I have been actually.... several times... repeatedly... 1500 volts.... but thats not the point....

oh, I give up.... :pullhair:

RockemSockemProberts

Stevie's home!
Jul 5, 2012
Oradea, Rom/GR, MI
Knowing when to say when is important too. Up until January I had hair down just past my shoulders, and it was a massive pain when playing. Leaving it untied Chris Simon style was hot, and my hair is naturally pretty curly, so it just went all over the place. Trying a ponytail wasn't much better, and I had to keep re-tying it. Now I'm growing it out long enough to stick out the back of my helmet, then I'll just have to maintain.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
... erm, not me. Sort of like Rod Stewart's when it was long, only electrified even further if thats even possible... like I'd literally been.... electrified.... which I have been actually.... several times... repeatedly... 1500 volts.... but thats not the point....

oh, I give up.... :pullhair:

damn, fro instead of flow is wack, nothing a little grease cant take care of, or as we used to call it "salad dressing"

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
So I took the dudes advice about wearing the hat damp and the bangs etc. back of my head though. Thought about posting pictures to show progress and ask for tips etc.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
So I took the dudes advice about wearing the hat damp and the bangs etc. back of my head though. Thought about posting pictures to show progress and ask for tips etc.

It's my homemade recipe. Results may vary.

Whatever you do don't stress your bangs straight back or you'll **** up the look.
Give em a little slack in front and you'll have the Scrappy Coco in no time

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
It's my homemade recipe. Results may vary.

Whatever you do don't stress your bangs straight back or you'll **** up the look.
Give em a little slack in front and you'll have the Scrappy Coco in no time

I got curly hair too. I'm going for the Ennis flow, so it'll take time.

edit: I feel pretty gay right now in the "dark age" stage as I started to call it. I got curls on the sides and back arleady but the top of my head;the front seems a little wonky compared to the rest of the top of my head. Probably have to touch it up.

Last edited:

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
the ponytail kills the flow. how can you live with yourself?

I've tried leaving it out and it was horrible. But I think "girl flow" is much different from "guy flow." Mine goes straight down my back, about midway between my neck and waist. No mullet, so that's quite a bit of hair. Leaving it out, it just gets sweaty and itchy.

There was a n00b at the adult class I go to a couple of weeks ago. She had long hair, no scrunchie, and she looked miserable. I loaned her a hair clip and she was very appreciative. Obviously, she was too new to the sport to realize her "flaux pas."

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've tried leaving it out and it was horrible. But I think "girl flow" is much different from "guy flow." Mine goes straight down my back, about midway between my neck and waist. No mullet, so that's quite a bit of hair. Leaving it out, it just gets sweaty and itchy.

There was a n00b at the adult class I go to a couple of weeks ago. She had long hair, no scrunchie, and she looked miserable. I loaned her a hair clip and she was very appreciative. Obviously, she was too new to the sport to realize her "flaux pas."

FWIW pretty much all the girls from the Gopher women have long hair in a ponytail. Considering they are young and possibly the best women's team in the world, I think it's a pass :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad