World Cup: Group H: Japan vs. Poland, Senegal vs. Colombia; 6/28/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
And risk conceding? Would have done the same playing for Japan myself.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Nah. Senegal would have 5 points and Columbia would have a better goal difference.

Edit: You posted what I posted. I thought you were replying if Senegal ties. My bad.

And *I* thought *you* were posting if Senegal ties :laugh:

Reactions: Natey

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Of course. Doesn't matter if you touch the ball first with a tackle like that. So very much a chance.

He clearly got the ball first then cluttered into the defender... it's never a penalty.

Tough, brutal for Senegal to go out like that though. Deserved much better.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I mean...

Okay, so Japan manager went to rest players and sat players on yellow cards. He rested SEVEN players, in a game that was deciding whether they go through.
Absolute madman.

Glad they made it though, Colombia and Senegal played awful, boring, scared... Neither deserved to win that game.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Not too often you see advancement decided by fair play.

When's the last time that was the deciding factor?
TSN annoucer said never has a team been eliminated so harsh. So I don't know, provably never. There have been draws before which sucks even more.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not too often you see advancement decided by fair play.

When's the last time that was the deciding factor?

This is the first World Cup to include the Fair Play tiebreaker. It wasn't in place for Brazil 2014.

Under the 2014 rules they would have drawn lots / flipped a coin.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Here is the issue I have with the "fair play" thing. Depending on who the referee is, their at times subjective decisions can decide whether a team advances or not. This isn't a black or white thing, who has more points, more goals.
This is a "referee A decides this obstruction was worthy of a booking, while referee B thought a warning might be enough" sort of thing, and it reeks.

Not a big fan of this. If you go even further it actually makes it easier to manipulate games in a much more drastic outcome.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Here is the issue I have with the "fair play" thing. Depending on who the referee is, their at times subjective decisions can decide whether a team advances or not. This isn't a black or white thing, who has more points, more goals.
This is a "referee A decides this obstruction was worthy of a booking, while referee B thought a warning might be enough" sort of thing, and it reeks.

Not a big fan of this. If you go even further it actually makes it easier to manipulate games in a much more drastic outcome.
The alternative as it was just 4 years ago would be a draw... so this is much less subjective. Absolutely gut wrenching for Senegal but there's not much options.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf

I agree, but you have to use something. It's the very last tie breaker.

SenorDingDong

Apr 1, 2006
Toronto

It would have been flipping a coin 4 years ago... this is way better.

I think this is a very rare circumstance too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad