Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Now this is what I call team unity!

35247214_262393587661299_3452199024948412416_n-jpg.129010

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I know people are tired of Germany, and they didn't look that great at the EURO, but...

They're still my #1 favorites. I watched them vs SA the other day, just a 2-1 friendly win, but they still got it and I wouldn't bet against them.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I too feel this Germany team is stronger than the 2014 squad. Excited for a good result in this game to get things started.

Reactions: cgf

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Telemundo billing this game as David vs. Goliath ffs, like Mexico have no WC history and are some debutants :laugh:

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
2016 & 2004 were the last tourneys I was really anxious before...

-2002 I was strangely confident that at least it wouldn't be as bad as 2000 and I was still just 13, so hadn't yet become jaded enough to be angsty about watching the WC lol

-2006 I was just happy that Poldi & Schweini made the team, and I was just stoked that I'd be in country for the tourney.

-2008, I was optimistic about the team playing well, but had no expectations of even making the final, so felt little anxiety until Lehmann's age showed against spain.

-2010 I was again excited by the youth that we took to the tourney with Mesut, Müller & Sami.

-2012 I was really excited about having Reus in the team...even if I was pissed that he wasn't a starter for us because I thought Marco had been the best player in the bundesliga that last season under Favre...a season I still don't think he's bested with corporate-Borussia...

-2014 I was really high on the team. Lahm at the 6, the bayern treble, the bayern boys having gotten a pep-ucation, I was really excited for that team, maybe even more than I am this iteration.
I have no idea how you were confident in 2002. That team was shaky as hell, played a very mediocre qualification (the 2000 tournament debacle was still fresh in my mind as well) and lucked it's way into the finals. The first and only game they played well was the final and they lost that. Than again, I was already 29 and didn't have the hope of youth anymore. ;)

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yeah, I think I expected an early exit in 2002 for sure. There was the 2000 debacle and also a bad qualifying campaign (which featured the inexcusable 1-5 vs England). That was the so far only WC in which not all matches were watchable on regular free-to-air TV in Germany, so there was a bad vibe about that as well. Just an all around bad feeling around that one. Ironically even though they made the Final, it's not like the team surprised everyone and played great either..there were mostly the same crappy performances we had gotten used to during the Vogts/Ribbeck/Voller years.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yeah, I think I expected an early exit in 2002 for sure. There was the 2000 debacle and also a bad qualifying campaign (which featured the inexcusable 1-5 vs England). That was the so far only WC in which not all matches were watchable on regular free-to-air TV in Germany, so there was a bad vibe about that as well. Just an all around bad feeling around that one. Ironically even though they made the Final, it's not like the team surprised everyone and played great either..there were mostly the same crappy performances we had gotten used to during the Vogts/Ribbeck/Voller years.
An easy path to the final as well. We won all games in the elimiantion round 1:0, against the likes of Paraguay, USA and South Korea.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
germany should take this game

but i have no doubt mexico will advance out of this group as well

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
A plea to the mods: Please don't close Match Threads. Delete posts, warn people, whatever, but please keep Match Threads open.

I don't care about people arguing over Messi in the Argentina-Iceland thread, I wanna talk about Iceland:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
A plea to the mods: Please don't close Match Threads. Delete posts, warn people, whatever, but please keep Match Threads open.

I don't care about people arguing over Messi in the Argentina-Iceland thread, I wanna talk about Iceland:

I'd rather not close threads, but don't worry, I will make the next Iceland game thread right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Considering we're talking about Mexico here against a Germany club, even how defencive this one is...allowing anything under three goals should be considered a success for them.

They scored 7 more goals in quali (10 games) than did the 2014 team, & 17 more goals than during the 2010 cycle...

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Good. Let Draxler show Jogi why we can't trust him in the knockouts early, so that when we can't afford to play him, Jogi isn't tempted...

*sigh*
Well, we both don't like Draxler. I'd rather see Reus. But we all know nothing.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well, we both don't like Draxler. I'd rather see Reus. But we all know nothing.

I'd rather see Marco & Mesut!

But yeah, Jogi gunna Jogi. At this point all we can hope for is that his big tactical change in the knockouts works as well as it did in 2014...and if it's shifting to a 3-4-1-2/3-1-4-2/3-4-2-1, like it looks like he's prepared us for, it should.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
[QUOTE="cgf, post: 146928791, member: 110591"]I'd rather see Marco & Mesut!

But yeah, Jogi gunna Jogi. At this point all we can hope for is that his big tactical change in the knockouts works as well as it did in 2014...and if it's shifting to a 3-4-1-2/3-1-4-2/3-4-2-1, like it looks like he's prepared us for, it should.[/QUOTE]
I know that. And as much as I don't like Özil, I think a Reus/Özil combo is better.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Watching the American coverage..it's so slanted toward Mexico it's not even funny. I haven't heard a word yet about Germany's expected lineup, tactics or anything. Just tons of talk from Mexicans about how they're going to win. I expect that on Telemundo a bit, but I didn't quite expect that on Fox.

Are there really that many Americans - who are not of Mexican extraction - who will cheer for Mexico just because the U.S. didnt qualify? They're the biggest rivals in their confederation. It'd be a bit like the Dutch to cheer for Germany because they didn't qualify.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad