GDT: Group F • May 9 • Canada 3, Sweden 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

eli J

Claw Machine broke
Nov 14, 2010
Moncton, NB
It's pretty simple, if either team actually "threw" the game to avoid Russia then they are losers. I don't care if they go on to the Gold Medal, they are losers at heart. And that includes simply "not trying your best".

That said, I don't think either team did this. These are pro athletes competing for the pride of their respective nations and their respective hockey programs, not contestants on some weird sports version of Survivor.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Yes IMO Rundblad didn't play that well in this game. I didn't expect him to shine with it being his first game of the tournament but I really didn't expect all the praise he got.
I mean; he rarely gets praised and when he does it's when he has a bad game? what the..?
Or did I miss something here?

Edit: OK most people seem to say that he had a good game.. I must just have very high expectations of him..

Yeah he was fine I thought, made a couple mistakes but had some good play as well. I think people are forgetting too fast with this guy that he's 20 and just matched up with Nash-Spezza-Neal after having not played all tournament.

I'm skeptical of the Rundblad hype, think some should temper a little, but I was fine with what I saw yesterday.

...Kinda liked the 8 minutes I saw from Silfverberg a little more though. He looks like he gets it...just needs to learn how to use that shot with great release more.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Former swedish national coach and today columinist and hockey guru Leif Boork is continuing officially bashing Canadian icehockey in the swedish press! Leif Boork is very upset! ;-) The Nash hit on Backlund started everything.

I'm thinking Boork's ego starting everything.

It reminds me of a Larry Brooks editorial, where he takes personal offense to John Tortorella and injects himself into the story.

BTW, if he wants Sweden to start playing more aggressive, you'll have no argument here. A lot of Swedes can play tough/dirty in the NHL once they've been over here a few years.

My memory of Canada-Finland in 2002 was Selanne hitting Pronger from behind into the glass, causing his nose to bleed all over the place. It just showed how much Teemu was willing to do to win that day. One of his best games ever. He was a force.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
Leif boork is basically the swedish don cherry, only hes really smart about it and has as result gotten a job as commentator.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Boork doesn't lack of self confidence. ;-) I have to say I like him. :-D

"Of course I was involved in beating Canada in Canada Cup 1984 in Vancouver. It was Mats Näslund merit. The smallest of them all. He started a fight when Canada's players chased his friend Bengt-Ake Gustafsson (Gus) around the rink. Of course I yelled out Canada coach Glen Sather. Canada was leading 2-1. We turned around and won by 4-2 after Näslund effort. Still the only time Tre Kronor hit Canada on their own ground in an international senior tournament."

and more bragging ;-)

"In the late 90's I was a coach for the Norwegian national team. We played against Canada in Canada. In The Pas. A hole eight hours by bus north of Winnipeg.
Some Norwegian player, did not dare to play.
Canada was brutal. Andy Murray, now assistant coach of Switzerland in this World Cup, coached Canada. He was responsible for the rough-ties. I ordered out our toughest Norwegian, Martin Sellgren, son of a doctor from Trondheim, to take a fight with their worst bugbear. Sellgren won. It allowed us to survive a few games to.

Canada is nice when they win. Squeamish about going against them."

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserien/1.2432118/kanadas-maktbehov-maste-bekampas

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
Yeah he was fine I thought, made a couple mistakes but had some good play as well. I think people are forgetting too fast with this guy that he's 20 and just matched up with Nash-Spezza-Neal after having not played all tournament.

I'm skeptical of the Rundblad hype, think some should temper a little, but I was fine with what I saw yesterday.
What I meant was just that it's weird that he got so much praise after the last game as he has played a lot better in some previous tre kronor-apperances. For instance; so far (only halfway through right now though :laugh:) he has been twice as good against Germany in comparison to this game. Oh the experts. :shakehead

Djurgardsjavel

Oct 29, 2010
Valhalla
Leif boork is basically the swedish don cherry, only hes really smart about it and has as result gotten a job as commentator.

An inverted Don Cherry, Leif very well might be. They share the common trait of being completely out of touch with the rest of the world. Leif has built his reputation publicly condemning more or less every single hit thrown in the SEL for the last couple of years, labeling this or that player "dirty". He hates the physical game, with passion.

Leif, back in his days as a coach, was also one of the forefathers of the negative, defensive, boring system that has plagued Swedish hockey for so long. Few individuals have hurt the game as much as he has. He is toxic.

Ugh. Looking at it again, how can anyone think that hit is something that shouldn't be allowed in the game. :facepalm:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ugh. Looking at it again, how can anyone think that hit is something that shouldn't be allowed in the game. :facepalm:

I'm sure he has his "Canadian barbarians/lumberjacks" editorial all ready to go before the tournament starts, and then waits for anything he can use to launch it.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd
An inverted Don Cherry, Leif very well might be. They share the common trait of being completely out of touch with the rest of the world. Leif has built his reputation publicly condemning more or less every single hit thrown in the SEL for the last couple of years, labeling this or that player "dirty". He hates the physical game, with passion.

Leif, back in his days as a coach, was also one of the forefathers of the negative, defensive, boring system that has plagued Swedish hockey for so long. Few individuals have hurt the game as much as he has. He is toxic.

He also cares more about the fact that he's on tv then what hes saying on it.

Nordic Pride

Jan 20, 2011
Sweden
Boork doesn't lack of self confidence. ;-) I have to say I like him. :-D

"Of course I was involved in beating Canada in Canada Cup 1984 in Vancouver. It was Mats Näslund merit. The smallest of them all. He started a fight when Canada's players chased his friend Bengt-Ake Gustafsson (Gus) around the rink. Of course I yelled out Canada coach Glen Sather. Canada was leading 2-1. We turned around and won by 4-2 after Näslund effort. Still the only time Tre Kronor hit Canada on their own ground in an international senior tournament."

and more bragging ;-)

"In the late 90's I was a coach for the Norwegian national team. We played against Canada in Canada. In The Pas. A hole eight hours by bus north of Winnipeg.
Some Norwegian player, did not dare to play.
Canada was brutal. Andy Murray, now assistant coach of Switzerland in this World Cup, coached Canada. He was responsible for the rough-ties. I ordered out our toughest Norwegian, Martin Sellgren, son of a doctor from Trondheim, to take a fight with their worst bugbear. Sellgren won. It allowed us to survive a few games to.

Canada is nice when they win. Squeamish about going against them."

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserien/1.2432118/kanadas-maktbehov-maste-bekampas

You need to check your glasses. He didn't write "Of course"... "Själv var jag med", inte "Självklart var jag med".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad