Euro: Group E: Sweden vs. Slovakia, 6/18/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
hamsik is trolling us swedes. he was terrible in swedish league and now when he play our national team he is playing great.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
things are looking good for canada. larkin, david, davies among others.

I've waited most of my life to make the World Cup again.

In 1986 I was only eight so too young to really appreciate it.

Living in Germany, my German friends were quick to remind me to manage my expectations. ;)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Canada is the New Zealand of the Northern hemisphere. Brilliant at the one sport they care about more than everyone else on the planet, kinda struggling to keep up in the other sports.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Canada is the New Zealand of the Northern hemisphere. Brilliant at the one sport they care about more than everyone else on the planet, kinda struggling to keep up in the other sports.

I wouldn't necessarily go that far.

Our Olympic showings of late have been fairly positive, and there has never been more or better Canadian representation in the NBA.

There's even a documentary about it: The Carter Effect.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/vince-carter-effect-canadian-basketball-tiff-1.4283096

Canada is the 2nd most represented country in the NBA for 7 straight years now, including this year's national record of 17 players. Obviously some of that has to do with the NCAA, our common culture and border, and the lack of a competing international league.

We also have international stars for the first time in football. We are actually catching up in other sports even as our dominance in hockey declines.

I'm not really trying to put New Zealand down in any way, it's really more of a function of having 7 times their population.

Australia is probably a better comparison, though they tend to focus exclusively on summer sports where we balance between winter and summer.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
If I don’t see drastic lineup changes next game I won’t support this team again until resignation of Tarkovic. Simply disgraceful

slovakia needs to play against spain the same way we swedes did. poland too. and then we swedes take care of poland in last game.

final standings

1: sweden
2: slovakia
3: spain
4: poland

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
You also would've conceded 3+ against spain if Morata hadn't started, so let's not get into the should've game there :laugh:

...and you missed my point entirely. Nobody is saying you should've lost both matches by playing a 1-1-8; but you made today's match a lot harder on yourselves than it could've been by playing so negatively/basically.

Imagine playing with 8 strikers :o

That’s a lot of whataboutism. Sweden tried to play offensive football during the Nations League and failed hard.

They went back to their roots, playing defensively and counter attacking (against better and equal sides). Today they were the better team, and they won.

Reactions: JBeast

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Imagine playing with 8 strikers :o

That’s a lot of whataboutism. Sweden tried to play offensive football during the Nations League and failed hard.

They went back to their roots, playing defensively and counter attacking (against better and equal sides). Today they were the better team, and they won.

I'm sorry but I just can't handle this irony :laugh:

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I'm sorry but I just can't handle this irony :laugh:

That’s just facts.

If you want then you can check the previous results and the line ups. I guess you still won’t agree with Janne’s line up, but it might give you some knowledge about Sweden and why they are playing with players like Larsson and Berg.

Have fun.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That’s just facts.

If you want then you can check the previous results and the line ups. I guess you still won’t agree with Janne’s line up, but it might give you some knowledge about Sweden and why they are playing with players like Larsson and Berg.

Have fun.

:laugh: I miss you guys when nationalism doesn't bring you to our forum.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Jogi's legacy was saved by 2014, other than that he didn't really achieve anything noteworthy in 15 years.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nonsense. Löw did quite well in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2016 as well.
Well that's just not true.

He did well in 2008 & 2010, we pressed & were great on the counter. Then teams realized they couldn't give us space or we'd kill them on the break. Instead, they started giving us the ball & forcing us to learn how to play with all of the possession.

Jogi brutally botched it against Italy in 2012 & made plenty of mistakes in 2016 as well. The only time we did well under Jogi after 2010 was when he had Pep training most of the team & a world-class GK + CB pairing.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Well that's just not true.

He did well in 2008 & 2010, we pressed & were great on the counter. Then teams realized they couldn't give us space or we'd kill them on the break. Instead, they started giving us the ball & forcing us to learn how to play with all of the possession.

Jogi brutally botched it against Italy in 2012 & made plenty of mistakes in 2016 as well. The only time we did well under Jogi after 2010 was when he had Pep training most of the team & a world-class GK + CB pairing.
Making the semis in 2012 and 2016 is still about on par with what you could expect from those squads. Results wise he absolutely didn’t underperform. You played nice football in 2012 and lost against Italy in a game where you played well. The 2016 semis against France are partly on Löw for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad