Euro: Group E: Spain vs. Sweden, 6/14/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
cocky germans in the thread. you guys hardly beat us 2018 wc. lucky wrongfully kick got you surkåls the victory . do i need to mention that 4-4 game in 2012 too?

next time we meet you we will draw, 0-0 against you . good luck trying to score on our parked yellow bus .
lol, glad you handle your team sucking well. Let me show you how it's done after France kicks our ass today :sarcasm:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
This version of Spain seems very much lacking in the creativity department. Not even close to the great teams of recent past.

Sweden probably played the only possible tactic here. I can hardly complain as Finland is forced to do more of the same.

I will be surprised (and disappointed) if any of those three teams get too far. Greece winning it some years ago was already enough, a disgusting mockery of the game.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I didn't see the match, but I saw some extended highlights. Not really sure how Spain didn't create chances. The numbers show they did. And count me in the group that thinks that if Moreno had started it might have been a different outcome.

Also curious some of the comments about Pedri. I've only seen praise for his performance and that's from multiple sources.

that cgf guy, he is pissing me off. we have played good against germany before . can we shutdown spain, then we can shutdown germany .

i hope our coach use same tactic as we did against spain in all games now, just to troll the world. look at what greece did 2004...

Imagine hoping to be '04 Greece.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Greece did not play joga bonito, sure. But in retrospect people exaggerate their passivity somewhat, for the most part their counters managed to create about as many high-quality chances as their opponents had. Even the opener where Portugal had almost 2/3 possession was far from a one-sided affair and Greece won it deservedly.

Possession (shots on target):

Greece 37:63 Portugal (4:5)
Greece 42:58 Spain (2:2)
Greece 47:53 Russia (4:9)
Greece 45:55 France (5:4)
Greece 48:52 Czechia (5:5)
Greece 42:58 Portugal (1:5)

Sweden 15:85 Spain (1:5)
Finland 30:70 Denmark (1:6)

Reactions: luiginb

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I don’t even care about how they played in terms of respecting their win. In the knockouts they played vs 3 of the most offensive sides at the time, and not a one of them could score a goal. So who deserved to win?

This is not figure skating or gymnastics where judges find a winner based on style and technique. This is having more goals than your opponent after 90 mins. Bottom line.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
And yet some watch the game to be entertained. Imagine that.
Ya, that’s fine. I’m not saying it’s the style I’d prefer to watch. I’m speaking from the perspective of competition. Winning trumps all.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This. Nothing more to add.
The question is, a team playing, a club, is that their main initiative? To entertain? Should it be? It’s great to win pretty, but to me of a coach puts that ahead of winning, he’s inherently a loser. Naturally.

Carlos Alberto Parreira famously told his Brazil squad in 1994 after a 24 year drought “you wanna win? F**** joga bonito. Let someone else sorting about making the crowd squeal in delight. We’ll worry about the trophy”. They won. He’s a winner.

Last edited:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
The question is, a team playing, a club, is that their main initiative? To entertain? Should it be? It’s great to win pretty, but to me of a coach puts that ahead of winning, he’s inherently a loser. Naturally.

Carlos Alberto Parreira famously told his Brazil squad in 1994 after a 24 year drought “you wanna win? F**** joga bonito. Let someone else sorting about making the crowd squeal in delight. We’ll worry about the trophy”. They won. He’s a winner.

Yes. This is all that any spectator sport is. Entertainment. Nothing more.

A lot of people get distracted by the salaries, thinking this is actually something really important these guys are doing. No. They're chasing a ball on grass, a puck on ice or another variation of the theme. If they don't entertain while doing it, they're doing nothing for me. Nothing.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

A lot of people get distracted by the salaries, thinking this is actually something really important these guys are doing. No. They're chasing a ball on grass, a puck on ice or another variation of the theme. If they don't entertain while doing it, they're doing nothing for me. Nothing.
Are you competitive? When you play a sport with your friends, do you compete? What about if you play in an amateur league, with a trophy available to win, do you try? Do want to win that?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
So Greece, who are now talked about forever, whether people liked their win or not, should’ve given up their place in history so the last three games of that tournament could’ve been prettier to watch. They should’ve rolled over and let the more talented players do their thing. Ridiculous.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

You are off your rocker if you seriously believe that teams should care more about entertainment value than results.

How fun would it be if there were no such thing as leagues or cups? Nothing to compete for. Just a bunch of pointless friendly matches to show that you play "good football".

Reactions: koyvoo

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You are off your rocker if you seriously believe that teams should care more about entertainment value than results.

How fun would it be if there were no such thing as leagues or cups? Nothing to compete for. Just a bunch of pointless friendly matches to show that you play "good football".
Thank goodness most of the pro athletes we watch take the spirit of competition seriously. Could you imagine the atmosphere of games all being like those charity/all star games that showcase nutmegs.

Reactions: Creed Bratton

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
There has to be some middle ground no?

if it meant to end the drought give me Greece 04 or even a chelsea like run.

I think it depends on the team and their capability. Take Atleti for example. You don't think they could have enjoyed some of the same success these last how many years and not played a more entertaining brand of football?

Speaking for myself, perhaps some middle ground, but not a lot. Had we won La Liga 19-20 I'd not have cared much as I've already said multiple times considering how dour that season was.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think it depends on the team and their capability. Take Atleti for example. You don't think they could have enjoyed some of the same success these last how many years and not played a more entertaining brand of football?

Speaking for myself, perhaps some middle ground, but not a lot. Had we won La Liga 19-20 I'd not have cared much as I've already said multiple times considering how dour that season was.
I’d agree you know my opinion on Simeone but Greece and most NT don’t have the luxury of buying players… except italy

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That makes it even worse at the club level. A dozen teams in all of Europe have the advantage to be able to to build squads that on paper, 99% of the rest of the clubs can’t compete with.

Then when the matches are played, these lesser clubs are not supposed to put up the best resistance they can to turn a result in their favour? Their supposed to play in a way that allows these super teams to just walk through them for the benefit of more thorough balks and nutmegs? That’s what’s good for the game? Give me a break.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004

I wasn't talking about teams. I was talking about sports in general. They're entertainment. Nothing more, nothing less.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Are you competitive? When you play a sport with your friends, do you compete? What about if you play in an amateur league, with a trophy available to win, do you try? Do want to win that?

Sure I am. But I am still aware of the nature of the thing: entertainment value. Even more so when watching any sport.

I make the distinction between 1) pro sports and 2) stuff done by normal people to keep fit, improve their constitution. The latter is highly valuable as it makes people as a whole lot more healthier. That's where more of the resources should be directed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad