World Cup: Group E: Serbia vs. Switzerland, 6/22/2018

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Serbia's midfield structure makes me laugh, not because it's bad but because it's kind of ridiculous. You have two of the best in the world at their roles and then you have some guy from Crystal Palace.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Haha MLS Star Dzemaili has no buisness to be in such a tournament anymore. Lichtsteiner should have been replaced after the last European Championship as well. He has been terrible in both ends for a while now.

Reactions: cgf

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Serbia's midfield structure makes me laugh, not because it's bad but because it's kind of ridiculous. You have two of the best in the world at their roles and then you have some guy from Crystal Palace.

As a Palace fan, Milivojevic is solid in his role. Had a very strong season at club level. Plays a smart game.

He is a nice component to Serbia’s midfield setup.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It would have been a top three team consistently.

The politics of it mean not really. Because most of the players picked in that team would be the same ones playing right now, regardless of how good the rest of the countries were.

They would have absolutely no weakness though if a foreign manager/FA was the one picking the team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Switzerland is very business-like, very hard working, and makes the most of their (limited) talent.
On paper, Matic and SMS should win the midfield battle, but we'll see.
I like Matic, I think he's fantastic and still, after all this time, underrated.

Probably the game to decide who goes into the 2nd round with Brazil, hopefully the braver, more offensive side gets the result they want.

Their talent doesn't need to be as limited as they force it to be...but hey, that just means less hype drawing giants to Zakaria & Elvedi earlier than they are going to come for those players anyway.

Why Embolo isn't used, though, is very puzzling.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Are Arsenal planning on playing this Xhaka guy regularly? Because he's f***ing rancid.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I love soccer so much but shit like that is so damn cringey that I almost hate it.

The pain on his face from barely being touched..

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So how was the play before a foul but not that elbow?? Lol oh soccer never change

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
So if Serbia hangs on, it's curtains for Costa Rica.

What happens if Serbia beats up on Brazil in the third leg, and the Swiss get by Costa Rica? Guess it depends by how much in either game.

Has Brazil ever not advanced past the group stage?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I know that there are very good reasons as to why it didn't work out, but god damn would I have loved to see a joint Yugoslavian team.

Meh, one loss and they would have started bickering at each other. Wheels would come unhinged quickly.

Italia 90’ was the last Yugo team at a major tourney. They had qualified for EURO 92’ but got bounced due to the war. Denmark replaced them and we know how that turned out.

Looks good on paper though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The only things that would change would be Modric for Miljevovic (sp) and Lovren at CB. Oblak at GK. The Yugoslav FA always favored Serbian players so the rest you can't really be sure about it at all even though players like Dzeko are obviously better than Mitrovic.

And it's for the best that these countries didn't stay together.

Reactions: cgf

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The politics of it mean not really. Because most of the players picked in that team would be the same ones playing right now, regardless of how good the rest of the countries were.

They would have absolutely no weakness though if a foreign manager/FA was the one picking the team.
They’ve excellent managers historically as well. There would be absolutely no need for a foreign manager to build a monster team. I miss Crvena Zvezda of the late 80s and early 90s...

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
They’ve excellent managers historically as well. There would be absolutely no need for a foreign manager to build a monster team. I miss Crvena Zvezda of the late 80s and early 90s...

Yeah but if you'd want them to pick the best team, it would have to be a foreign manager. Otherwise the entire thing gets sabotaged with politics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad