Euro: Group E: Belgium vs. Italy, 6/13/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Belgium

Goalkeepers: Thibaut Courtois (Chelsea), Simon Mignolet (Liverpool), Jean-Francois Gillet (Mechelen)

Defenders: Toby Alderweireld (Tottenham), Jan Vertonghen (Tottenham), Thomas Vermaelen (Barcelona), Jason Denayer (Galatasaray), Jordan Lukaku (Oostende), Thomas Meunier (Club Brugges), Laurent Ciman Montreal Impact), Christian Kabasele (Genk)

Midfielders: Moussa Dembele (Tottenham), Radja Nainggolan (Roma), Marouane Fellaini (Manchester United), Axel Witsel (Zenit Saint-Petersburg), Eden Hazard (Chelsea), Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City), Dries Mertens (Napoli), Yannick Carrasco (Atletico Madrid)

Forwards: Michy Batshuayi (Marseille), Romelu Lukaku (Everton), Christian Benteke (Liverpool), Divock Origi (Liverpool)

Italy

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Federico Marchetti (Lazio), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint-Germain)

Defenders: Andrea Barzagli (Juventus), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Matteo Darmian (Manchester United), Mattia De Sciglio (AC Milan), Angelo Ogbonna (West Ham)

Midfielders: Federico Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), Antonio Candreva (Lazio), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Stephan El Shaarawy (Roma), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Emanuele Giaccherini (Bologna), Marco Parolo (Lazio), Stefano Sturaro (Juventus), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint-Germain)

Forwards: Eder (Inter), Ciro Immobile (Sevilla), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Graziano Pelle (Southampton), Simone Zaza (Juventus)

Looking forward to this one. Can see any result coming of it.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I expect Italy to park the bus. I expect a Belgian goal to come from a penetrative Hazard run that leads to a tap in for KDB. These are my two expectations. This is likely to be a very bland game.

yoplait

May 4, 2011
God this Italy team makes me so sad. Needed Verratti and Marchisio. I also don't understand Conte's love for Giaccherini. Going to be a really tough match for Italy to win.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If Giaccherini made it, Pirlo surely could've.

Italy will probably be the least entertaining big team to watch - but I could see them making a run regardless.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Still some good if not world class players in Italy's midfield (not sure about Thiago Motta's form), but the group of strikers is ****ing depressing.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This game has all the makings of being a classic bore fest... but I can see Belgiums skilled forwards terrorizing the Italian backline en route to a 3-0 win. Italy isn't really too relevant in the soccer world anymore.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
This game has all the makings of being a classic bore fest... but I can see Belgiums skilled forwards terrorizing the Italian backline en route to a 3-0 win. Italy isn't really too relevant in the soccer world anymore.

Their back line is still one of the best though.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
If Giaccherini made it, Pirlo surely could've.

Italy will probably be the least entertaining big team to watch - but I could see them making a run regardless.

Pirlo not being there is going to hurt.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Not that I think Italy will win but I think it's worth mentioning that Belgium has so far always failed to live up to expectations as a national SuperTeam

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Not that I think Italy will win but I think it's worth mentioning that Belgium has so far always failed to live up to expectations as a national SuperTeam

Dunno about the rest of the world, but in Germany nobody has called them a super team. A secret tip, yes, a young up and coming team, yes, but surely not super or front runners to win.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
lol watch Italy cruise through to the semis or something

It's possible, in fact if they finish 2nd in the group they avoid the "big three" until the semis. The toughest opponent they would potentially face in the quarters would be England or Portugal who they can beat. I had Italy going to the semis in my bracket, as long as they don't win the group which is just silly in the first place :D

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wilmots may be a crap coach, but even he shouldn't be able to screw this up for the Belgians...even with their defensive injuries.

Chiellini was overrated. All about Bonucci.

On this we can agree completely. I'm so happy that Bonucci's finally getting the love he's deserved. Such an elegant passer.

It's possible, in fact if they finish 2nd in the group they avoid the "big three" until the semis. The toughest opponent they would potentially face in the quarters would be England or Portugal who they can beat. I had Italy going to the semis in my bracket, as long as they don't win the group which is just silly in the first place :D

I'm quietly expecting Portugal to make some noise, think they & Poland can surpass expectations and get some nice hype at this tourney. CR7's still a force to be reckoned with and their next generation is coming on strong.

Last edited:

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Should be a good game. Despite Italy being an aging team, they are definitely still talented. Belgium are as talented as they have ever been so I would expect them to win, but Italy has the 'been there, done that' feel to them so I chose them to win today.

Prediction: Italia wins 1-0

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad