Euro: Group D: Spain vs. Czech Republic, 6/13/2016

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Spain

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas (Porto), David de Gea (Manchester United), Sergio Rico (Sevilla)

Defenders: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Gerard Pique (Barcelona), Hector Bellerin (Arsenal), Jordi Alba (Barcelona), Marc Bartra (Barcelona), Cesar Azpilicueta (Chelsea), Mikel San Jose (Athletic Bilbao), Juanfran (Atletico Madrid)

Midfielders: Bruno (Villarreal), Sergio Busquets (Barcelona), Koke (Atletico Madrid), Thiago (Bayern Munich), Andres Iniesta (Barcelona),David Silva (Man City), Pedro (Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Chelsea)

Forwards: Aritz Aduriz (Athletic Bilbao), Nolito (Celta Vigo), Alvaro Morata (Juventus), Lucas Vasquez (Real Madrid)

Czech Republic

Goalkeepers: Petr Cech (Arsenal), Tomas Vaclik (Basel), Tomas Koubek (Sparta Prague)

Defenders: Theodor Gebre Selassie (Werder Bremen), Pavel Kaderabek (Hoffenheim), David Limbersky (Viktoria Pilsen), Marek Suchy (Basel), Michal Kadlec (Sparta Prague), Tomas Sivok (Bursaspor), Roman Hubnik (Viktoria Pilsen), Daniel Pudil (Sheffield Wednesday)

Midfielders: Borek Dockal (Sparta Prague), Jiri Skalak (Brighton), Vladimir Darida (Hertha Berlin), Daniel Kolar (Viktoria Pilsen), Ladislav Krejci (Sparta Prague), Josef Sural (Sparta Prague), David Pavelka (Kasimpasa), Jaroslav Plasil (Bordeaux), Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal)

Forwards: Milan Skoda (Slavia Prague), Tomas Necid (Bursaspor), David Lafata (Sparta Prague)

I can't get a read on this Czech team for whatever reason. They gave up a ton of goals in qualifying, but look to have some offensive talent. This is the first game where two qualifying group winners face off. I believe Spain will repeat as Euro winners.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Really think Spain look strong on paper here. Del Bosque's selection (and the squad could be even better IMO) of course can change all that. Ton of talent in that midfield and neither Saul nor Isco are there. If Aduriz can replicate his club form that will be great for them, but if not I think Morata can do the job with the service he'll likely get.

de Gea
Bellerin
Ramos
Pique
Alba
Busquets
Koke/Thiago (take your pick)
Iniesta
Silva
Morata/Aduriz (again, take your pick)
Nolito

A lot of creativity and goals in that said with a solid defense. I suspect del Bosque's goes with something like this:

Casillas
Ramos
Hierro
Pique
Alba
Xabi Alonso
Cesc
Iniesta
Navas
Morientes
Vazquez

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Does De Gea start in light of recent allegations?

Is Koke in the starting XI?

Azpil, Juanfran, or Bellerin?

These are my questions for Spain, who look like they could be excellent on paper. I'm assuming Morata gets the nod up front.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I'm so nervous for this game. Though I know Spain aren't invincible, when they're on their game they essentially are, so you basically always have to hope they're off-kilter somehow.. or put them that way, but the Czechs play too conservatively and aren't fast enough to really do that. This will be a big test and a draw would be golden

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Really think Spain look strong on paper here. Del Bosque's selection (and the squad could be even better IMO) of course can change all that. Ton of talent in that midfield and neither Saul nor Isco are there. If Aduriz can replicate his club form that will be great for them, but if not I think Morata can do the job with the service he'll likely get.

de Gea
Bellerin
Ramos
Pique
Alba
Busquets
Koke/Thiago (take your pick)
Iniesta
Silva
Morata/Aduriz (again, take your pick)
Nolito

A lot of creativity and goals in that said with a solid defense. I suspect del Bosque's goes with something like this:

Casillas
Ramos
Hierro
Pique
Alba
Xabi Alonso
Cesc
Iniesta
Navas
Morientes
Vazquez

:handclap:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Typical Spain game, very boring to watch 70% possession but no penetrating passes. Czechs at least had a decent shot right before halftime but I wouldn't change a thing they are doing if they want a result

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
ESPN really disrespecting the Czechs, ok they aren't the best but to act like Spain should beat them by 4 goals is crazy, Spain don't even beat teams like Macedonia or Belarus by that amount, they score 1-2 goals and control the rest of the match

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
ESPN really disrespecting the Czechs, ok they aren't the best but to act like Spain should beat them by 4 goals is crazy, Spain don't even beat teams like Macedonia or Belarus by that amount, they score 1-2 goals and control the rest of the match

This ESPN commentator always annoys me when I get him on stream. Always makes disrespectful, ignorant generalizations.

I still enjoy Spain's passing game. Guess I'm in the minority. :dunno:

It's just ok today. Wish Cesc weren't there though. Iniesta is a joy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad