World Cup: Group D: Nigeria vs. Argentina, Iceland vs. Croatia, 6/26/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Apparently, Modric will start tonight. Croatian media thinks it's some sort of pressure from FIFA to give Argentina a better chance of going through, but it just seems like baseless conjecture to me.
Maybe Modric prefers to play 50-60 minutes to keep the rythym going, who knows.

Either way, likely starting 11:

Kalinic - Jedvaj, Corluka, Caleta-Car, Pivaric - Modric, Badelj, Kovacic - Perisic, Kramaric, Pjaca

Defence will be suspect, but midfield and forwards should be good enough to win the game, if they show up 100%.

I don't really know what to expect from his game, though on paper, Croatia is still much better, even with 9 starters out.
But we've thrown worse stinkers with better teams, so who knows...

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Apparently, Modric will start tonight. Croatian media thinks it's some sort of pressure from FIFA to give Argentina a better chance of going through, but it just seems like baseless conjecture to me.
Maybe Modric prefers to play 50-60 minutes to keep the rythym going, who knows.

Either way, likely starting 11:

Kalinic - Jedvaj, Corluka, Caleta-Car, Pivaric - Modric, Badelj, Kovacic - Perisic, Kramaric, Pjaca

Defence will be suspect, but midfield and forwards should be good enough to win the game, if they show up 100%.

I don't really know what to expect from his game, though on paper, Croatia is still much better, even with 9 starters out.
But we've thrown worse stinkers with better teams, so who knows...

Wasn't he sent packing for insubordination?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Even Czech media now reporting that the players have taken over Team Argentina, led by Messi, Mascherano and Otamendi. Aguero reportedly on the outs and thinking about leaving the team. Changes in the lineup sure. Could be one for the history books if the team suddenly starts clicking, or likewise if it totally comes apart at the seams
They're obviously piggy backing from the Argentine media.

Kun being out for today's game would imply Sampa still in charge. He and messi are best friends and has the only goal for Argentina soo.

It's all BS nothing is true

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Are you going to say it’s all BS once Banega starts in 4 4 2? Banega starting is a Messi call. Yes lot of stuff is BS, like that Mascherano punched Pavon after the game, but not everything as you put it. The players are making “suggestions” as Mascherano said. I believe that word is stronger in real context than it suggests.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Are you going to say it’s all BS once Banega starts in 4 4 2? Banega starting is a Messi call. Yes lot of stuff is BS, like that Mascherano punched Pavon after the game, but not everything as you put it. The players are making “suggestions” as Mascherano said. I believe that word is stronger in real context than it suggests.
Some questions, if the players i.e Messi/Masch are selection the team why is the rumour the Kun, messi childhood and closest friend not playing? not only that but apparently is on the outs? He had some words for Sampa so, it would make sense that he's been dropped from the coaches POV.

Another thing, Messi hailed Pavon prior to the tournament but now he's been an afterthought? Media even claimed that Messi wants him at the camp not LMAO. So, which is it?

Banega starting is a Messi call... on what grounds? Please, don't embarrass yourself like that.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Some questions, if the players i.e Messi/Masch are selection the team why is the rumour the Kun, messi childhood and closest friend not playing? not only that but apparently is on the outs? He had some words for Sampa so, it would make sense that he's been dropped from the coaches POV.

Another thing, Messi hailed Pavon prior to the tournament but now he's been an afterthought? Media even claimed that Messi wants him at the camp not LMAO. So, which is it?

Well, I won't claim to have any particular insight into the matter, but just because there are conflicting reports does not mean none of them are true. Most outlets are just collecting rumours from all over and presenting them as fact. It doesn't mean they are all lies though.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well, I won't claim to have any particular insight into the matter, but just because there are conflicting reports does not mean none of them are true. Most outlets are just collecting rumours from all over and presenting them as fact. It doesn't mean they are all lies though.
This is the Argentine press... talking about the NT. Nothing is real. There's a reason why the players shunned them awhile back. They have a history of smearing them.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is the Argentine press... talking about the NT. Nothing is real. There's a reason why the players shunned them awhile back. They have a history of smearing them.

This is the Daily Mail quoting Burruchago's former teammate Ricardo Giusti. Then La Nacion quoting Mascherano directly. I don't know, seems like a lot of smoke to me, but I guess the important thing will become clear in a few hours.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
This is the Daily Mail quoting Burruchago's former teammate Ricardo Giusti. Then La Nacion quoting Mascherano directly. I don't know, seems like a lot of smoke to me, but I guess the important thing will become clear in a few hours.
What quote from Masch directly that suggests Sampa is out? He says the relationship with Sampa is normal. The Messi friends narrative is something that he doesn't understand. Lastly, Sampa held a meeting with the players to let them voice their opinions.

Nothing from the players suggests there's a rift. There could be but unless there's hard proof that Sampa has been shunned Ill take the players words over the "journalists".

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Lineups are out

Armani, Mercado, Otamendi, Rojo, Tagli, Perez, Mascherano, Banega, Di Maria, Messi, Higuain.

Happy Armani is starting. I don’t understand though how Perez goes from not being selected to a starter 2 games out of 3. Still don’t understand either how they’re not going with a 4-2-3-1 with Dybala starting either in a must win game.

Still expecting Argentina’s last game in this WC.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Nothing against Argentina but I hope it’s Crostia and Nigeria coming out. Need more African teams in the knock out rounds. Senegal as well!

Reactions: King 88

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club

Banega starting is a Messi call... on what grounds? Please, don't embarrass yourself like that.
embarrass myself? Lol dude it was a Messi call! He wanted Banega to pass him the ball. If you are the hardcore Argentina fan you’d know that they are also great friends and they have had a great working relationship in past Argentina games this is well documented.... furthermore don’t forget that while Messi wears the armband Mascherano is probably the defecto captain and more vocal. There were compromises in that meeting they had. Either way I hope Nigeria get a draw mostly because of my fantasy and for the lulz that’s this Argentina WC

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Don't understand Perez selection either. Maybe this time Nigeria's WC curse against Argentina is over and finally they won't lose.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
embarrass myself? Lol dude it was a Messi call! He wanted Banega to pass him the ball. If you are the hardcore Argentina fan you’d know that they are also great friends and they have had a great working relationship in past Argentina games this is well documented.... furthermore don’t forget that while Messi wears the armband Mascherano is probably the defecto captain and more vocal. There were compromises in that meeting they had. Either way I hope Nigeria get a draw mostly because of my fantasy and for the lulz that’s this Argentina WC
If it's biglia it's messi call, if it's banega it's messi call. Where's he's closest friend? Why is he on the bench?like I said don't embarrass yourself. Don't act like you can tell me something new about this team.

Game is starting so, you'll have the last response. Enjoy.

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
I hope Nigeria eliminates Argentina, they have no business in this World Cup.
Nigeria should be able to dominate Argentina in the midfield.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad