Euro: Group D: Croatia vs. Czech Republic, 6/18/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia won’t beat Scotland in a must win game, saying this early. Only Turkey have looked worse imo

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Can someone explain the difference between 'advancing' and 'going to the quarters'...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I think it a fair result. Reffing was definitely questionable and Croatia fans have every right to feel a little hard done by.

In the end, I expect more out of this Croatian team. Obviously, they weren't going to be as good as the 2018 run. Right now they look like half the team we saw in 18, not a real threat to do damage at this tournament.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Croatia won’t beat Scotland in a must win game, saying this early. Only Turkey have looked worse imo
If Dalic sets the team up to fail again they sure won't. Imagine knowing the other team's best-attacking ploy is to push play through their right back and then you play Perisic on the right-wing. Then Perisic goes on the left-wing and Coufal can't cross the midfield line after doing whatever the hell he wanted in the 1st half.

PS

Rebic as a striker :laugh:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Dalic’s lineups are a disgrace and after not trusting young players he throws Gvardiol and Ivanusec is these games. SN reports he will be going to Fenerbahce, good luck to them :sarcasm:

Reactions: Islay1989

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Is it possible to advance to the quarters? Or only from the round of 16? eg. can you go undefeated and get a spot in final 8 if you win your pool?

Nope, everyone goes into the round of 16. If Czechs finish second they will play second from Group E. Which could be any of those four teams (Spain, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland).

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nope, everyone goes into the round of 16. If Czechs finish second they will play second from Group E. Which could be any of those four teams (Spain, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland).
Thanks.. so this tie was huge for us!!!

Please not Spain.. please not Spain.lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Starting to do some howework on this..

The winner of our pool gets one of Portugal, France or Germany?
The 2nd place finished gets one of Spain, Poland, Slovakia or Sweden?

Not much of a reward for winning this group.lol

member 305909

Croatia-Scotland in the final round will be the same as with Swiss-Turkey; a draw would send both of them out.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Also 4 points will easily be enough.

People say that, but at the moment it's not impossible for *all* 3rd placed teams to have 4 points in which case 2 teams with 4 points will go home.

Switzerland beats Turkey, Italy beats or draws Wales.
Russia draws Denmark, Finland draw Belgium
Ukraine draws Austria
Croatia beats Scotland, England beats Czechia
Various scenarios in Groups E & F (not unlikely ones either).

Reactions: maclean and gary69

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So nice finally being able to see a game at the pub again.

My based opinion is that we were the better team and it's a pity we couldn't capitalise, but at the same time, Croatia had more individual quality so it's hard not to be satisfied with a draw

Reactions: czechcanadian

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Saw a crazy stat that the Czechs ran 12km more than Croatia which is just insane, never saw that much of a difference but to be honest don’t check those stats often. But it’s a big talking point how lethargic and unfit Croatia look and they could be eaten alive by Scotland even with their limited technical ability

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Saw a crazy stat that the Czechs ran 12km more than Croatia which is just insane, never saw that much of a difference but to be honest don’t check those stats often. But it’s a big talking point how lethargic and unfit Croatia look and they could be eaten alive by Scotland even with their limited technical ability

That is quite a stat. I wonder why the Croatian team is looking the way they are. As I said somewhere else before, talk about the ageing squad is a bit of a red herring - Modric is getting on, but most of the players are at a perfectly good football age, but are looking lethargic and kind of laboured. They seem to be very confident of beating Scotland - it was clear in the last 15 minutes or so that the Croats were quite content with just the one point against the Czechs, clearly assuming they will beat Scotland easily. I am not so sure - they are the much better side technically, but if they continue playing the way they have, a resurgent Scotland with added confidence after a good performance against England may well snatch it. It will be interesting to see what Croatia turns up for the last game - will they play to their abilities or continue to underperform? As for the Czechs, I am starting to hope they lose and go through as second or third. The winner of this group plays France, Germany or Portugal next - judging by what I have seen so far, I don't think anyone in this group has much of a chance against anyone on the France group (ignoring Hungary).

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Funny story from this game, some Croatian fans hired a private plane to go see the match in Glasgow, but it was not to be...

Croatia fans hired jet for Czech clash but ended up 1,178 miles away in Prague

That’s a very nice story!! Not sure how true it is though - you need to self-isolate fur 10 days when you get to Scotland, so no fan was ever going to be able to travel to Scotland and watch the game unless they arrived more than 10 days in advance… Surely you’d have checked your destination’s Coronavirus rules before hiring a plane??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad