Euro: Group D: Croatia vs. Czech Republic, 6/18/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Czechs had the good result in the first game, the Croatians did not. Now the Croatians travel to Scotland to play in front of what I expect will be hardly anyone. These teams also played in 2016 so it isn't uncommon to see them have a match at a big tournament. It seems Brozovic may not start here and could be replaced by Vlasic. This is also obviously not going to be a repeat of 2016 for the Czechs as they already have two more points than they did back then.

I didn't watch either team's first game so I don't have much comment here.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Lovren will be fit for this match, no news on Barisic, as opening post mentioned Brozovic likely to be benched. Lots of pressure on Dalic who has been hostile towards the media yesterday, promised a more attacking display but the reality is this team has struggled to create chances even against weaker teams. Only positive is Croatia generally have success against the Czechs, even though the match at 2016 was a draw Cro dominated and the game changed when the fans threw the flares on the pitch

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd guess this is Croatia's to lose. I think the Czechs are up for the task. I think it'll be a 1 goal game. A tie would be great to be honest. I've seen a bunch of the qualifying games and this team is a bit leaky on chances against. Scotland was a bit unlucky and I didn't think 2-0 reflected the game.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Czechs will have their chances on counter and set pieces. I can already see Croatia coming out aggressive first 15-20 minutes and if Czechs hold on their chances improve of course because Croatia will get more desperate and open up an already poor defense

Reactions: maclean

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
Croatia needs Kramaric to play like he does for Hoffenheim. What will their midfield look like without Brozo at the base?

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Croatia needs Kramaric to play like he does for Hoffenheim. What will their midfield look like without Brozo at the base?

Trio of Kovacic-Modric-Vlasic, Kramaric is often playing out of position for Croatia, against England they put him out wide ffs

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I would say Croatia is the better team, but they don't look to be quite on form right now, so it may come down largely to luck. I'm actually going to be able to watch this one at a pub so I hope we don't get blown out and I'd prefer it wasn't a 0-0 draw either.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Pat Niven with the dumbest take of the Euro's so far, according to him Modric is old and slow, and he'd rather have McGinn than Modric on his team :laugh:

These guys get paid as experts :laugh:

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I am hoping for a draw, but I am not holding my breath. Our first game against Scotland showed a lot of heart and great quality from Schick and Vaclik, but also displayed glaring deficiencies in defence. A team with more quality than Scotland up front will take advantage. I also don't see Croatia having another relatively poor game, as they did against England. I like this Czech team, I like their commitment and togetherness, but sadly we lack that bit of individual quality that Croatia have. So my prediction is 2-0 to Croatia, although I would be very happy to be proved wrong and the Czechs getting at least a point from this match. I'd be over the moon with a draw as 4 points should be enough to get to the last 16. We're not going to get anything out of the England game at Wembley.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I am hoping for a draw, but I am not holding my breath. Our first game against Scotland showed a lot of heart and great quality from Schick and Vaclik, but also displayed glaring deficiencies in defence. A team with more quality than Scotland up front will take advantage. I also don't see Croatia having another relatively poor game, as they did against England. I like this Czech team, I like their commitment and togetherness, but sadly we lack that bit of individual quality that Croatia have. So my prediction is 2-0 to Croatia, although I would be very happy to be proved wrong and the Czechs getting at least a point from this match. I'd be over the moon with a draw as 4 points should be enough to get to the last 16. We're not going to get anything out of the England game at Wembley.

If England already have two wins under their belt, they may field a weaker line up and give us a chance (though what Southgate considers a weaker line-up may actually be better :laugh:). Alternatively if they lose to Scotland, they might start to fall apart psychologically. But those are highly theoretical positions, I agree we need points out of this game

Reactions: Czechboy

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Pretty offensive lineup, Brozovic benched and Brekalo comes in meaning Kramaric will play centrally. Lovren comes back but unfortunately Dalic insists on him and Vida

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bright start from the czechs, they need to capitalize cause their defense worries me against a more cogent Croatian lineup.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I'm pretty happy with how Czechs look so far.

I agree that Crotia is the fav so I'm happy we look competitive.

It's either 0-0 or 1-0 IMO.

I honestly can't see the Czechs getting another cleansheet so if they want a win, they'll need 2 goals which I also think is unlikely.lol

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Another game bogged down by poor ESPN tech capabilities. Audio feed flows and it sounds like I have not missed much thus far. Alas, time to mute and get ready for work. Will follow a match tracker from here on.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My fav soccer jersey is the classic croatian one.. why are they in black when they have such nice Jerseys?lol

upload_2021-6-18_12-21-44.png

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Great Croatian setup! Final shot was lacking but a beauty corner play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad