Euro: Group C: Netherlands vs. Austria, 6/17/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Man, those Dutch strikers are utterly incompetent. It's frustrating to watch. How about shooting when in the box before the defender gets into place?

They should just play Wijnaldum as a striker. He can play CB, DM, #8, #10, I bet he can play striker too. This guy Weghorst sucks ass and they have no other decent strikers.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They should just play Wijnaldum as a striker. He can play CB, DM, #8, #10, I bet he can play striker too. This guy Weghorst sucks ass and they have no other decent strikers.

I, for one, have enjoyed this obsession that the dutch have had with big strikers that aren't any good with the ball at their feet since...van Persie?

:naughty:

Reactions: robertmac43

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
He already plays at the 10 position and he interprets it very offensively, that's not much of a difference.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there

From the matches I saw in Bundesliga, he did look much better, though. The Dutch national team obviously hasn't had as much time to adjust playing with a player like him and are not getting the best of him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
From the matches I saw in Bundesliga, he did look much better, though. The Dutch national team obviously hasn't had as much time to adjust playing with a player like him and are not getting the best of him.

:dunno: You would think that they'd be used to playing with an unskilled targetman; they've been doing so for years.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
:dunno: You would think that they'd be used to playing with an unskilled targetman; they've been doing so for years.

Yeah, I remember well the days since Wim Kieft, but Weghorst in particular has only played few games. The movement on the pitch from everybody requires more games, imo.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah, I remember well the days since Wim Kieft, but Weghorst in particular has only played few games. The movement on the pitch from everybody requires more games, imo.

Oh it can get better, but playing a Weghorst or Luuk de Jong puts a ceiling/limtation on your offense unless you have just world-class talent everywhere else.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
One man's ceiling is another man's solid structure. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a guy like him in the middle when you have speed and skill on the outside.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Oh it can get better, but playing a Weghorst or Luuk de Jong puts a ceiling/limtation on your offense unless you have just world-class talent everywhere else.

A team can afford a (one) player like him, a sort of passenger, against lesser team. More so if that passenger is a good header and can be useful in dead ball situations. Of course, more versatile players are individually better and let's say a speedy smaller player can do better, but require a different playing style. There are several ways for team to win, and I think versatility is a plus, so the opponents are never quite sure what to expect.

Like now, when Austria faces a different challenge with Malen replacing Weghorst. I think it's very smart from a team to be able to change their look during the 90 minutes.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
One man's ceiling is another man's solid structure. I don't think it's a bad thing to have a guy like him in the middle when you have speed and skill on the outside.

It's the Gomez dilemma. Not a bad player, but one who limits you & what you can do. Things would be different if he was Lukaku or Haaland, but he's just big & hard-working.

Reactions: gary69

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Nice goal, was expecting that break through.

All these lower teams suck.

Austria doesn't suck, but the conditions of the game aren't favorable. First they had one guy get suspended and then they're the only team in this match that has to travel to play the other team at their home ground. The latter also applies to Switzerland yesterday. Fortunately it seems everyone has considered this a bad experiment and it will never happen again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Austria doesn't suck, but the conditions of the game aren't favorable. First they had one guy get suspended and then they're the only team in this match that has to travel to play the other team at their home ground. Fortunately it seems everyone has considered this a bad experiment and it will never happen again.

They also didn't help themselves out with the team selection. So many movements have died on the foot of Schlager or Ulmer, and notKoller should've been starting.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Gravenberch! Increase your transfer fee, young blood.
Also, Weghorst sucks. De Roon is a black hole in ball possession. Dumfries is a headless chicken but so passionate. Malen is quality and there’s not a midfielder I’d take over de Jong. Carry on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad