Euro: Group C: Netherlands vs. Austria, 6/17/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Both teams winners in the first match, both should be flying high from here. While there's clearly some team selection problems in both teams I don't think that affects them mentally in pretty much any way at all. Austria has some quality here but it seems unfeasible to get it all on the pitch, and it also seems that they're hellbent on playing Alaba in a position where he helps the team less. When it comes to NT play I'm a firm believer that if a non-powerhouse team has someone with his quality who can play in midfield, they better play them there instead of in a defensive position. We'll see what they do.

Impossible to know at this stage if the teams will make any changes, but this should be a good match.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If they're going to stick with Alaba in a back 3, how about:

Kalajdzic
Baumgartner* - Sabitzer
Lazaro* - Grillitsch - Laimer - Lainer
Alaba - Hinteregger - Lienhart
-------------------------------------
Kalajdzic - Sabitzer
Baumgartner - Grillitsch - Laimer - Lainer/Lazaro
Schlager
Alaba - Hinteregger - Lienhart

Hinteregger can make Weghorst work in the air, while Alaba & Lienhart can keep up with Depay and help them play their way around the dutch press. With the bodies in the midfield to make the dutch really work in that part of the pitch.

Don't trust their goalkeeping, but this should still be a lot of fun.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Dutch haven't lost a point to Austria since 1985 and they won't manage to do so today either.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
on a lighter note, does arnautovic look more like tom hardy

skysports-marko-arnautovic_5415027.jpg

or michael fassbender?

NINTCHDBPICT000659043149-1.jpg

Pasha71

Dec 30, 2017
Dear Netherlands,

Please, beat Austria by 3 goals. Then, we'll just need a tie in the final game.

Sincerely,

Ukraine

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Still think they need Alaba in the midfield with Laimer (& Grillitsch), but we'll see what they do. Laimer is excellent, but Schlager is too limited...though a good defensive anvil...to be the only one helping him link the backline to Baumgartner, Sabitzer & new-Koller.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Austria's line-up looks terrible attacking wise, they're unlikely to score.

I get swapping Gregoritsch in...though I disagree...but they clearly didn't learn from game 1. If they're not going to push Alaba forward, then Schlager must be replaced with Grillitsch.

EDIT:
Not as bad with Alaba pushed up. I still like their balance more with a back 3 and Grillitsch over Schlager, but this shouldn't be as bad as I first feared.

EDIT2:
NVM, looks like ESPN was wrong and it's the same shape as last game.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
ESPN is going to force me onto blood pressure meds. Stream dies during anthems and freezes. We deserve a real network for these games. If ESPN cannot function why pay to air it?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe a 4-1-4-1 for Austria?

notKoller
Baumgartner - Sabitzer - Laimer - Lazaro
Grillitsch/Schlager
Alaba - Hinteregger - Lienhart - Lainer​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad