GDT: Group C • May 2 • United States 4, Norway 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
No, we only lost, because there are more rinks in Canada, than there is players in Norway.

Also the population thing: 50-1?

Don't you think you should have won without diving?

Canada? We played the US and we lost because our D played too many min. Tollefsen played 35 min against sweden and did the same today. Therefore he and our other D didnt have enough energy in the last period! Blaming the refs dosent help. We must focus on what we can do better. Personally i think we should bring in Espeland from Sundsvall and use Ask as a Forward. Espeland is a good D :yo:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
No point in arguing with this result at all. The US were by far the better team and won deservedly. If Norway had managed to fend them off for a little longer then maybe it could've ended differently but that's not the point.

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
We gave up after the first 20...

US were pretty good, patience came through in the end..

Tollefsen was a beast indeed..

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
No point in arguing with this result at all. The US were by far the better team and won deservedly. If Norway had managed to fend them off for a little longer then maybe it could've ended differently but that's not the point.

Well yes and no. The US wasted alot of chances, but i like the way they play. Lot of speed and some skilled players :) So lets move on and hopefuly beat Austria! At least we are better then Denmark ;)

babyshamble

Sep 11, 2006
Oslo/Bangkok
Too bad we could not hang on for one more period. USA deserved the win, but I am proud of our guys. They showed a lot of hart and played hard, thats really all you can ask of this team when the top players are out.

And another good game by our goalie Lars Haugen. Good for him he has had a preety bad year. First he was dropped by his club team because they brought in Jordan Parise (Zach`s bro) and after that he was laid off his real job and is now on unemployment benefits.

With that being said, I love watching USA play. They play with so much speed, energy and skill in their game. They are my second favourite team in international tournaments.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
yea that argument there, is void

norway clearly tried to play defense in 2-3 period, wich is something any sensible team would do in that position, but with the ammount of soft peanltys, norway dident have the players to complete it.
Sensible teams don't "play defense" by getting dominated and praying that the opposition cannot capitalize on numerous scoring opportunities.

member 116805

Sensible teams don't "play defense" by getting dominated and praying that the opposition cannot capitalize on numerous scoring opportunities.

"tried to play" i believe he said.
Norway was clearly out of steam, and struggled after the early US goal in the 3rd. Cant really blame them when they play 4 D men one of which has played almost 70 minutes in total in 2 games the last 3 days. They played hard and tried their best,
US won on skill and a little bit of luck. Luck the Swedes didnt have two days ago

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
You judge a game after the shotcount?:laugh::facepalm:

USA had lots of shots from pretty far away without traffic. Those are easy saves for a goaltender.

come on AP, you are better then that...

this game wasnt anywhere near as close as the score was. Shot count and puck possesion was in massive favor of the US, I barely remember Norway taking a shot from the second period on.

That Norway goalie looked great, stood on his head, and kept the rebounds to an absolute minimum, he should be applauded for the two games he just played.

The US was the better team today, and it wasnt even close. No offense to Norway, but having to argue this (US is better then Norway) really tells you just how light of a roster talent wise we have.,

Loved the US effort though, everyone skated hard, and even Komisarek looked solid.

Criag Smith made the horrible pass, but the kid learned from it, and earned his ice time back by the end.

Skille looked very solid as well, and my boy NICK PALMIERI played as I expected! I said it before and I will say it again, Palmieri is going to be a big part of this teams success or lack of. He is going to be one of our top scorers as long as Gordon keeps him out there in all situations.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
How's Komisarek playing?

surprisingly solid today. komi made some nice passes, really didnt make any major mistakes that I can recall, and used his body pretty effictively.

People forget that he was originally named to the US Olympic team, but couldnt compete due to injury. I never thought he was that bad of a player this past year, hopefully he just does the little things right, stays relatively unoticed which means he is doing his job.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Can anyone tell me how Fowler played/looked in this game?

I actually thought he was only okay today, I expected more from him on those US power plays.

He just didnt look like he had that step or energy out there that he did for much of the year. i dont think he played bad at all, and I can remember a few nice moves keeping the puck in, but it seems his decision making was a step slower then normal imo. Hopefully he can pick things back up a bit for Wed, and then the next round.....maybe I saw things a bit differently then the others, but I thought Mcdonagh was solid, probably the best overal dman out there...

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
come on AP, you are better then that...

this game wasnt anywhere near as close as the score was. Shot count and puck possesion was in massive favor of the US, I barely remember Norway taking a shot from the second period on.

That Norway goalie looked great, stood on his head, and kept the rebounds to an absolute minimum, he should be applauded for the two games he just played.

The US was the better team today, and it wasnt even close. No offense to Norway, but having to argue this (US is better then Norway) really tells you just how light of a roster talent wise we have.,

Loved the US effort though, everyone skated hard, and even Komisarek looked solid.

Criag Smith made the horrible pass, but the kid learned from it, and earned his ice time back by the end.

Skille looked very solid as well, and my boy NICK PALMIERI played as I expected! I said it before and I will say it again, Palmieri is going to be a big part of this teams success or lack of. He is going to be one of our top scorers as long as Gordon keeps him out there in all situations.

You clearly didn't get what I meant. He used shot-stats as an argument to prove his point, which in most cases a guy that haven't watched the game would use to prove his point. Yes, USA was the better team. But Norway was the best in the 1st period, even if the shot-stats didn't reflect that, the shots can lie!

And yes many of team USAs shots were easy saves for our goaltender, there were no traffic so he had a clean look and could easily catch the puck most times. Our played a good game, but he didn't stand on his head at all. And the third USA goal that ended up being the game winner with like 7 minutes left was as soft as it gets.

The refs gave you some free PP time at the end of the game that still kind of pisses me off. I hope our team learn that they can't sit back and surf on a 2-0 lead against a good team like USA. They got passive and played on their heels. They were behind the Americans in most situations (after the 1st), maybe because they were tired, maybe because they got passive and didn't wanna do any dumb mistakes.

I'll give your team credit for a great comeback, but I'm still kind of pissed off on those last penalties called that game you the two PPs you scored on. And even if you had the puck a lot I still felt kind of confident that we would get a great result out of this game because you didn't create many big chances. You had two of the post in the second, but other than that...

Congrats on the win though!

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Can anyone tell me how Fowler played/looked in this game?

Fowler was good. he played on the top PP unit.

Smith - Stepan - Wheeler
JMFJ - Fowler

at times it was more of an umbrella mostly worked through Stepan and Johnson, but Fowler made soms good, smart plays. good poise. lots of spin moves. :laugh:

team made a good comeback, didnt panic when they went down. Montoya made key saves to keep it at a 2 goal deficit (early), and eventually US made the comeback. Norway lost their discipline after that, and the score ends up 4-2. Norway was definitely trying to frustrate US into some penalties. we stayed pretty disciplined. OKT had a big hit on Stuart, and Shatty got boarded by another played. both US guys were upset with the hits.

Smith made a bad, soft back pass up the middle on the PP. Norway turned that into a quick SHG. Gordon kept playing him, and Smith scored late. good for him. good coaching.

Stepan, Fowler, Wheeler, Montoya, Palmeiri, heck most of the team looked good IMO. good team speed.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The US was the better team today, and it wasnt even close.

Norway was completely working the US for the first two periods before the first US goal. They were the better team and it wasn't even close. Couple bounces change (such as the few times they went upstairs) and every American fan is enraged right now.

Credit where credit is due, Norway came to play today.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Norway was completely working the US for the first two periods before the first US goal. They were the better team and it wasn't even close. Couple bounces change (such as the few times they went upstairs) and every American fan is enraged right now.

Credit where credit is due, Norway came to play today.

You (Norway) dont get outshot 42-15 or something like that, and expect people to believe what you are stating.

Yes Norway came to play and they played a physical and tough game. But in no way did Norway do anything to make the US worry in nearly 45 minutes of play..the final 45 minutes of the game.

And I know shot totals arent everything, but puck possesion and pressure is, and the US again dominated that from the second period on. Not sure what game you were watching, but the US really wasnt challenged for the final 45 minutes of the game.

I give credit to Norway for being a pain in the ass team, which they clearly are, but without their goalie, the score isnt as close. Yes many shots were from the outside, but the way he limited rebounds and where he put those rebounds was very impressive.

The US did not create 20 glorious chances, but they did enough to win the game more handily then they did.

I barely remember Norway having any chances the final 2 periods, and thats not a joke. You can flip it around and say if Craig Smith doesnt make that terrible pass on the PP, then this game might have had an even bigger outcome.

Again, congrats to Norway, they play tough and with a lot of passion and energy, but they did not control this game like some suggest.

I did find it funny to keep hearing the announcers calling out Forsberg and Koivu for Norway....man if they had the other Forsberg/Koivu then it might have been a different outcome!

Hope you guys beat Austria, you deserve to win a few games here....

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Just finished my recording.

- First goal was pretty weak by Montoya but Fayne can't lose that battle in the corner that easily and Johnson needed to collapse down and help out his goalie more.

- Second goal was just an awful pass by Smith.

After that, US pretty much dominated everything but the scoreboard until they dominated that in the 3rd as well. Norway played well in spurts and had some dangerous chances but other than the weak goal and a goal off of an unforced turnover they didn't create all that much. Team USA took awhile to settle into their game today. Too much indecision early on with one shift of over simplicity followed by another where guys were trying to do too much.

I don't understand the whining about the refs. IIHF refs always suck and it's usually for both teams. So you think Palmieri dove? Okay. The calls against Kreider and Gaustad were especially weak as well. Or the non-interference call on the Tollefsen hit on Stepan when he didn't even have the puck. It goes both ways 99 times out of 100 just like today.

The better team won.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Just finished my recording.

- First goal was pretty weak by Montoya but Fayne can't lose that battle in the corner that easily and Johnson needed to collapse down and help out his goalie more.

- Second goal was just an awful pass by Smith.

After that, US pretty much dominated everything but the scoreboard until they dominated that in the 3rd as well. Norway played well in spurts and had some dangerous chances but other than the weak goal and a goal off of an unforced turnover they didn't create all that much. Team USA took awhile to settle into their game today. Too much indecision early on with one shift of over simplicity followed by another where guys were trying to do too much.

I don't understand the whining about the refs. IIHF refs always suck and it's usually for both teams. So you think Palmieri dove? Okay. The calls against Kreider and Gaustad were especially weak as well. Or the non-interference call on the Tollefsen hit on Stepan when he didn't even have the puck. It goes both ways 99 times out of 100 just like today.

The better team won.

Well said Mr.Bonney! :yo: Can't wait for that Sweeden game.

Are you watching the JvR show tonight? He's playing amazing! Can you imagine him in this tournament? 2014 olympics? World Cup of Hockey. Wow.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Found the highlights:

I don't think these have been posted here yet. That was a sick pass by Kreider.

Mhs

May 1, 2011
From that review it sure looks like it deflect off his skate not the stick.
Anyway the guy that should have picked him up is a forward, so probably lacks the discipline, needed to follow the guy instead of the puck. (injury troubles)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah Palmieri flubbed that and it bounced off some part of him instead of him putting it in off his stick. Still, it wasn't kicked in at all, so it's a legit goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille