GDT: Group B - May 17 - Canada (0) vs Finland (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
USA's Vatrano goal was soft, French goal was due to pouncing pucks... There's literally nothing Koskinen has shown that makes him the #1 goalie.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say Koskinen ist the #1 goalie, I think Finland should start with Saros in the goal.

If I remember correctly Koskinen allowed also against Germany a soft goal.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Canada has anything but a solid defense, but they can contribute offensively. Finland's D looks pretty pedestrian, though I can't say I know much about them.

If Finland plays their butt off the forwards are a match for Canada.

Conclusion: Canada wins due to better( but still weak) D.

How can people say Canada have a weak defense ? I just don't understand.

Rielly
Tanev
Ellis
Murray
Dumba
Ceci
Matheson
Hutton

The only thing it's missing is a superstar #1 defenseman. In a tournament where teams hardly have NHL-caliber d corps, Canada would have one of the deepest d-cores in the entire NHL as far as player quality goes. Obviously they chose the players better suited for big ice but you get what i mean.

That would be considered somewhat weak in the World Cup (even then i would argue it's still decent) where everybody have their best players, but this is the WHC...

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
It would be better if Finland lost vs Canada. It's wrong to play for quarters to be honest. Rather vs Czechia than vs Russia in semis.

I don't think so because if Finland loses they have most likely to play against Sweden in quarterfinal and the games against Sweden are never easy for Finland. The chance to lose in quarterfinal against Sweden is much higher than to lose against Denmark.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I don't think so because if Finland loses they have most likely to play against Sweden in quarterfinal and the games against Sweden are never easy for Finland. The chance to lose in quarterfinal against Sweden is much higher than to lose against Denmark.

Have you seen Sweden play this tournament?:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Have you seen Sweden play this tournament?:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I know that Sweden has not been very convincing in this tournament so far but if Finland plays against Sweden you never know even if Sweden doesn't seem to be strong.

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
pretty sure ur mixing up IIHF world ranking and WC pre-tourney seeding ( upon which this year's schedule + pools were predicated . They Are NOT the same...In the latter case, USA>Suomi

Nope. This pre-tourney ranking is released so that everyone can make a quicker update afterwards. It's written there :

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/championships/world-ranking/

Last paragraph :

Before each World Championship, a pre-championship report will be released, in which the values of the previous seasons are already reduced according to the above-described procedure and where only the points of the upcoming competition need to be added to get the IIHF World Ranking for the year.

The irony is that it still isn't last WC's ranking. And still has Finland above USA. I can't find that pre-ranking in an official IIHF link, but you can make it yourself using this table :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_Ranking#Men.27s_rankings

That makes 2195 points for Finland (ranked 4th) and 2190 for USA (ranked 5th).

However, I have found the IIHF link that explains how the groups are made and the teams seeded. It's from last year, just after last year's WC ended :

http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/news/groups-determined/

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The starting point must be that the "Goals Allowed" for Canada will be doubled after the game.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The starting point must be that the "Goals Allowed" for Canada will be doubled after the game.

So you think Finland puts up 8 goals on Canada? Bold prediction. I'll be sure to quote that if it doesn't happen.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
pretty sure ur mixing up IIHF world ranking and WC pre-tourney seeding ( upon which this year's schedule + pools were predicated . They Are NOT the same...In the latter case, USA>Suomi

seeding, ceding same diff...Pools and schedules are made, in advance, solely based on last year's WC results...whereas with the IIHF rankings, this is a multi-year, weighted and rather complex formulaic calculation

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
So you think Finland puts up 8 goals on Canada? Bold prediction. I'll be sure to quote that if it doesn't happen.

I think he meant Finland scores 4. Canada's GA goes from 4 to 8. i.e. it doubles.

if he meant it how you took it, then yes, bold prediction indeed.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So you think Finland puts up 8 on Canda? Bold prediction. I'll be sure to quote that if it doesn't happen.

Current GA: 4
Current GA doubled: 4 x 2 = 8
Needed goals for doubling: 8 - 4 = 4

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I know that Sweden has not been very convincing in this tournament so far but if Finland plays against Sweden you never know even if Sweden doesn't seem to be strong.

Dosent matter this team is god awful! and Finland or Canada will have a walk in the park against this team.

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
seeding, ceding same diff...Pools and schedules are made, in advance, solely based on last year's WC results...whereas with the IIHF rankings, this is a multi-year, weighted and rather complex formulaic calculation

It's not complex and well explained.

You should read my links really.

I'm copy-pasting the one that explains this year's groups :

The groups became known following Canada’s gold medal game win of the 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship and are based on the 2015 IIHF Men’s World Ranking that was released the same night.

Host Russia will play its games at the newly built Ice Palace in Moscow and will be seeded in Group A with Sweden, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, Latvia, Norway, Denmark and Kazakhstan.

Group B at Yubileiny in St. Petersburg includes defending champion Canada, Finland, the United States, Slovakia, Belarus, France, Germany and Hungary.

(...)

Groups 2016 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship
Group A Group B
(in Moscow) (in St. Petersburg)
Russia (2) Canada (1)
Sweden (3) Finland (4)
Czech Rep. (6) USA (5)
Switzerland (7) Slovakia (8)
Latvia (10) Belarus (9)
Norway (11) France (12)
Denmark (15) Germany (13)
Kazakhstan (17) Hungary (19)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think he meant Finland scores 4. Canada's GA goes from 4 to 8. i.e. it doubles.

if he meant it how you took it, then yes, bold prediction indeed.

Current GA: 4
Current GA doubled: 4 x 2 = 8
Needed goals for doubling: 8 - 4 = 4

My bad :laugh:.

I posted that quickly from work on my phone. I read it quickly and clearly misread it. I swear I am much better at math than that lol

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Nope. This pre-tourney ranking is released so that everyone can make a quicker update afterwards. It's written there :

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/championships/world-ranking/

Last paragraph :

The irony is that it still isn't last WC's ranking. And still has Finland above USA. I can't find that pre-ranking in an official IIHF link, but you can make it yourself using this table :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IIHF_World_Ranking#Men.27s_rankings

That makes 2195 points for Finland (ranked 4th) and 2190 for USA (ranked 5th).

However, I have found the IIHF link that explains how the groups are made and the teams seeded. It's from last year, just after last year's WC ended :

http://www.iihfworlds2016.com/en/news/groups-determined/

Hmmm...I stand corrected...

So you could, in theory, have the previous year's WC gold and silver medal winners in the same pool the following year ( should one team of t'other make a quantum leap forward )?

To my knowledge...It's not like that in U20, U18 etc....seems mighty strange?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So I'm at the work now and my supervisor just popped behind my back to my booth as I had the legal lime MTV3 channel stream set up from Katsomo.fi on my personal laptop.

So I instructed him how he'll get it up and running for his own.

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Hmmm...I stand corrected...

So you could, in theory, have the previous year's WC gold and silver medal winners in the same pool the following year ( should one team Edit: OR t'other make a quantum leap forward )?

To my knowledge...It's not like that in U20, U18 etc....seems mighty strange?

fixed

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
I've been looking forward to this game for days. This is close to Olympic level, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if these two met again in the final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad