Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Szczęsny; Bereszyński, Glik, Bednarek; Jóźwiak, Krychowiak, Moder, Puchacz; Klich, Zieliński; Lewandowski

Poland-Slovakia | Poland vs Slovakia UEFA EURO 2020 preview: where to watch, team news, form guide | UEFA EURO 2020 | UEFA.com

Wojciech Szczęsny, Juventus
Bartosz Bereszyński, Sampdoria
Kamil Glik, Benevento
Jan Bednarek, Southampton
Kamil Jóźwiak, Derby County
Grzegorz Krychowiak, Locomotiv Moscow
Jakub Moder, Brighton and Hove Albion
Tymoteusz Puchacz, Lech Poznan, moves to Union Berlin July 1
Mateusz Klich, Leeds
Piotr Zieliński, Napoli
Robert Lewandowski, Bayern

Lewa and goalie are elite. Others seem kinda average though still obviously quality.

Last edited:

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Legend Leinonen is actually right. Finland did have many good players years ago, they where better on the paper 10-20 years ago than they are today, but still they never reached wc or euros.

Todays team finland is a team made of players from danish leagues, cyprus leauge, championship, mls and swedish league, and yet they played good and reach euros. Similar to Sweden, finland have good coach and players are gritty, you can come far with that.

As a Malmö FF fan i will always love Litmanen and Jonathan Johansson.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
You are delusional.

My team has

1 top 3 player in the world for attacking midfielder.

2 Top five goal scorer in the premier league.

3 Fastest player to score 50 goals in Championship history

4 Russian league MVP for Central Midfield

5 Tottenham legend and only player to win cup in Finland, France and England for another central midfield

6 Man who has played over 300 matches of serie a for DM

7 Top 2 Center Back in the world and has one of the biggest chad jaws in human history.

8 Anderlecht Captain and p***y wetter for Center Back (voted sexiest man of HJK Helsinki)

9 Werder Bremen Captain for Left Back

10 Man who led Werder Bremen to UEFA cup final for right back. You can watch movies from his forehead.

11 shitload of topnotch goalies
Very few of those "accolades" actually merit to anything.

And let's be real, Mikael Forssell in his prime was nowhere near the calibre of a goal scorer like van Nistelrooy, Anelka or Owen. Yes, he did manage to put up similar totals over a single season, but you're selectively comparing Forssell's peak season to the typical season of those guys. To paint a clearer picture, outside of that particular season, Forssell never reached 10+ goals in the Premier League.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Very few of those "accolades" actually merit to anything.

And let's be real, Mikael Forssell in his prime was nowhere near the calibre of a goal scorer like van Nistelrooy, Anelka or Owen. Yes, he did manage to put up similar totals over a single season, but you're selectively comparing Forssell's peak season to the typical season of those guys. To paint a clearer picture, outside of that particular season, Forssell never reached 10+ goals in the Premier League.

Of course I'm part talking tongue in cheek and looking at this from most positive angle possible. But I'm absolutely serious when I say that on paper this team looks good enough to win the euros. I have couple players who at some point in their careers have been valued absolute top in their position. I have couple strikers who have proven that when they are on form they can convert at very high rate. Rest of the team is made of serviceable players from top 4 leagues. Not absolute stars but players who play regularly against the best. Similarly and even worse structured teams have historically gone far in football. This on paper.

tempofound

Oct 18, 2013
Legend Leinonen is actually right. Finland did have many good players years ago, they where better on the paper 10-20 years ago than they are today, but still they never reached wc or euros.

Todays team finland is a team made of players from danish leagues, cyprus leauge, championship, mls and swedish league, and yet they played good and reach euros. Similar to Sweden, finland have good coach and players are gritty, you can come far with that.

As a Malmö FF fan i will always love Litmanen and Jonathan Johansson.

I mean, the main reason Finland qualified for their first Euros now, despite having had a better team in the past, is that more teams are qualifying for the Euros now.

24 spots instead of 16 is a massive difference.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Awful.
I followed most of Tainio's career. To compare him to Kante, Hyypiaa to Varanre and Forsell to Mbappe, that tells you all you need to know about Finland GOAT standing a remote chance to win this tournament.
It's awfully ridiculous.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Awful.
I followed most of Tainio's career. To compare him to Kante, Hyypiaa to Varanre and Forsell to Mbappe, that tells you all you need to know about Finland GOAT standing a remote chance to win this tournament.
It's awfully ridiculous.

In his prime year Mikael Forssell scored 17 goals for Birmingham. That year Birmingham scored altogether 43 goals.

This means Mikael Forssell scored

17/43=0.4

40 percent of all Birmingham goals.

In his prime year Mbappe has scored 31 goals. That year Paris Saint-Germain scored altogether 86 goals

This means Kylian Mbappe scored

31/86=0.36

36 percent of all PSG goals.

For Finnish National Team Forssell scored 29 goals in 87 matches.

That accounts to 0.33 goals per game ratio for Finland fookin National Team. It includes the tail end of his career, after several injuries, busting his knee, after gaining lot of weight, first by starting a career as amateur bodybuilder, and then just by becoming a general fat slob. For any respectable NT he would not have been starter for the last 3 or 4 years of his career, and if you would count only his prime years, he would be way over 0.5 goal per game player for Finland fookin National Team.

For French National Team Mbappe has scored 17 goals in 44 matches.

That accounts to 0.386 goals per game ratio. Honestly for playing for star studded French team I don't think that's much to shout about.

Reactions: luiginb

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Chris Wood scored 36% of Burnley’s goals this season. Harry Kane scored 33% of Tottenham’s goals this season. So Chris Wood is better than Harry Kane according to you?

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I didn't even say that it would be THE top team, but one of the top teams for sure. Prime Litmanen was third in Ballon d'OR 95, and many think he should have won that year. Prime Hyypiä was absolute top defender. Prime Mikael Forssell was top 5 scorer in Premier League 2003-2004.

This is the top 10 in 2003-2004

RankPlayerClubGoals
1 Thierry HenryArsenal30
2 Alan ShearerNewcastle United22
3 Louis SahaManchester United/Fulham20
Ruud van NistelrooyManchester United20
5 Mikael ForssellBirmingham City17
6 Nicolas AnelkaManchester City16
Juan Pablo ÁngelAston Villa16
Michael OwenLiverpool16
YakubuPortsmouth16
10 James BeattieSouthampton14
Robbie KeaneTottenham Hotspur14
Robert PiresArsenal14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So essentially we have Ruud van Nistelrooy, Anelka, Michael Owen level scorer in PRIME Miklu Forssell.

Teemu Pukki is Championship legend who scored fastest fitty (five-0) goals in Championship history. Everybody knows CHAMPIONSHIP is toughest league, a man's league, spoiled p***yes go to Premier.

Roman Eremenko: Russian League MVP, 2014-2015, ENUFF SAID

Teemu Tainio, only player in history to win Finnish Cup, French Cup and English Cup, midfield terror terrier, ENUFF SAID

Petri Pasanen, led Werder Bremen to 2009 UEFA Cup Final. Most huge forehead in football history. ENUFF SAID

Hannu Tihinen, captained Anderlecht and Zurich to multiple victories. Old grannies in Belgium still get tingly when they here his name sung on a pub in Amsterdam.

Niklas Moisander, he's a sweet boy too.

Get a reality pill, please.

Also, who cares about this? Finland will never be a soccer country, simply geography and the latitudes dictate that. Most of Finland is actually far harsher conditions than Iceland, just look at average monthly temperatures and length of winter.

Glad to hear Erikssen is better now. The game should have been postponed though, not continued as it happened.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Let's just end this madness :laugh: Finland hasn't been a football nation, if we take a look at how well other Nordic countries have succeeded, it's obvious that we are lacking so far behind. We have done better in other major ball sports like Basketball and Volleyball but those doesn't matter too much.

At the prime of our golden generation, we were probably the best/second best nordic country for a year or so, but that's it. Sweden, Denmark and Norway (although quite far behind those 2) have had success and qualified to many World Cups and Euros.

But this is the beginning of a new era, you can expect Finland to improve in the future and hopefully be a regular in Euros and if all stars align maybe we eventually get to play in World Cup, but that requires lot of luck. This process takes a lot of time and revamp, and this Euro tournament is a great beginning.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In his prime year Mikael Forssell scored 17 goals for Birmingham. That year Birmingham scored altogether 43 goals.

This means Mikael Forssell scored

17/43=0.4

40 percent of all Birmingham goals.

In his prime year Mbappe has scored 31 goals. That year Paris Saint-Germain scored altogether 86 goals

This means Kylian Mbappe scored

31/86=0.36

36 percent of all PSG goals.

For Finnish National Team Forssell scored 29 goals in 87 matches.

That accounts to 0.33 goals per game ratio for Finland fookin National Team. It includes the tail end of his career, after several injuries, busting his knee, after gaining lot of weight, first by starting a career as amateur bodybuilder, and then just by becoming a general fat slob. For any respectable NT he would not have been starter for the last 3 or 4 years of his career, and if you would count only his prime years, he would be way over 0.5 goal per game player for Finland fookin National Team.

For French National Team Mbappe has scored 17 goals in 44 matches.

That accounts to 0.386 goals per game ratio. Honestly for playing for star studded French team I don't think that's much to shout about.
[MOD]
Seriously?
Forsell, Mbappe and you don't see the problem? You're still trying to argue?
Forsell never scored more than 9 goals in any given season in any major league except ONCE.
Forsell has a whopping total of 39 goals in his entire career in major leagues, including all competitions. Just this year, Mbappe has 42 goals.

Last edited by a moderator:

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
And my last 2 cents regarding Denmark game. I've seen every Finland game for the last 2 years, we've played really well against other mid-level countries like Greece, Bosnia, Ireland and even dominated. Against Italy we lost but played well, same goes to Ukraine game, we were even close to win.

This Denmark game doesn't give full picture of this team and how they can perform. Denmark was a nightmare opponent to Finland, because they played in Copenhagen in front of their home audience in Euro opener, so goddamn they gave pressure and our players got really overwhelmed. Also it was very strange game overall (not talking about Eriksen incident) and at times it was more like Rugby.

Now when the first game is done and they managed to win, there's no pressure. So expect different Finland against Russia, and then you'll see what this team really can do.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
And my last 2 cents regarding Denmark game. I've seen every Finland game for the last 2 years, we've played really well against other mid-level countries like Greece, Bosnia, Ireland and even dominated. Against Italy we lost but played well, same goes to Ukraine game, we were even close to win.

This Denmark game doesn't give full picture of this team and how they can perform. Denmark was a nightmare opponent to Finland, because they played in Copenhagen in front of their home audience in Euro opener, so goddamn they gave pressure and our players got really overwhelmed. Also it was very strange game overall (not talking about Eriksen incident) and at times it was more like Rugby.

Now when the first game is done and they managed to win, there's no pressure. So expect different Finland against Russia, and then you'll see what this team really can do.
Let's just end this madness :laugh: Finland hasn't been a football nation, if we take a look at how well other Nordic countries have succeeded, it's obvious that we are lacking so far behind. We have done better in other major ball sports like Basketball and Volleyball but those doesn't matter too much.

At the prime of our golden generation, we were probably the best/second best nordic country for a year or so, but that's it. Sweden, Denmark and Norway (although quite far behind those 2) have had success and qualified to many World Cups and Euros.

But this is the beginning of a new era, you can expect Finland to improve in the future and hopefully be a regular in Euros and if all stars align maybe we eventually get to play in World Cup, but that requires lot of luck. This process takes a lot of time and revamp, and this Euro tournament is a great beginning.

Right we are to become top nation because lucky win. Not with our current lineup and tactics. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Wtf are you talking about? Top nation? Where did i say we are becoming top nation:laugh:

I 100 percent believe Finland can produce top results, but this lucky win was very bad performance. It does however give good ground for positive tournament result. Of course it can be said this 1 win alone is positive result. However it is natural to get hungrier, and thus I'm concerned this unjust result will give Kanerva more incent to stick to his newfound unnecessarily passive and overtly complicated tactics. I agree that game has looked better in near past. On occasions it has looked good even with current tactics, but more fixed, balanced and controlled gameplay was evident when 4-4-2 was the default setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad