Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Says I am assuming stuff, comes with one hell of an assumption.

The whole group I was with were saying even before the game was picked up again, that it was a bad choice - But whatever floats your boat.

Also, as one English pundit says, these arent just teammates, they are one hell of a close knit bunch.

Yes he has clubteammates
playing, but this effected the whole team, and it was clear by the play.

But, what’s done is done, and Finland won, I still say Denmark should pull out, and yes even if they won.

This was a horrible decision by UEFA, and is being wildly critizised in Denmark.

There's two matters here - whether it's right to play on last night and whether Denmark should stay in the tournament. On the first one, I have no opinion. That was a decision for the involved FAs to make. My post was talking about the second question - I think it'd be absurd for Denmark to quit the tournament now.

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
IF a team gets Covid they have 48 hours... ofcourse they could reschedule.. change the Russia/Finland game to thursday.. you can always do something
I dont think it matters much to be honest. Whether it is 16 or 48 hours doesnt matter when the challenge is in the head and not the physically aspect.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
I dont think it matters much to be honest. Whether it is 16 or 48 hours doesnt matter when the challenge is in the head and not the physically aspect.
of course it matters.. if they could facetime with him today.. get psychologist to help them!! it matters bigtime... but hey nobody knows

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I have to disagree with you there. As much as I like Arajuuri, he isnt even close to being on Hyypias level in my opinion. Denmark lack offensive force and I think it will show against Belgium where Arajuuri is. Maybe your appreciation for Arajuuri grounds in the fact that you are in this Euroes but not was with Hyypia, but if I recall it correctly, Finland were minutes away from qualifying to a WC or EC a decade or so ago.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
I have to disagree with you there. As much as I like Arajuuri, he isnt even close to being on Hyypias level in my opinion. Denmark lack offensive force and I think it will show against Belgium where Arajuuri is. Maybe your appreciation for Arajuuri grounds in the fact that you are in this Euroes but not was with Hyypia, but if I recall it correctly, Finland were minutes away from qualifying to a WC or EC a decade or so ago.

That is indeed so. But honestly I think it is very common notion among followers of Finn NT, that Hyypiä was always bit disappointing in NT. Of course he was very big star player, especially in our standards, so expectations for him were sky high, and thus hard to meet. That same goes obviously for the whole team during that era. 10-15 years ago, our material, on paper, was much better than today, but alas, they never delivered. Not only Hyypiä et Litmanen, but also the supporting cast was made of pretty solid Bundesliga and Premiership steady joes.

Arajuuri on the hand is seen as NT god, personification of fighting spirit, and one of most important pieces in creating some sort of early sketch of a beginnings of a winning culture.

Reactions: Bagge

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
As far as individual level goes, Arajuuri isn't close to Hyypiä who was at his best top-3 CB in the premier league. But Arajuuri-Toivio compliment each other really, really well. Better than Hyypiä-Tihinen even though Tihinen was playing regular Champions League football with Anderlecht at the time.

This current finnish team is better coached than any other previous national team we had, even though we don't have nearly as good individuals we had during Hyypiä, Litmanen and Forssell days. Thing is that we have good core components, fantastic GK and 2 very clinical strikers + Kamara in midfield who'll likely play in the Premier League pretty soon. And when you build extremely good defensive structure, we can cause upsets even though skill level is lacking a lot in comparison to Denmark for example.

And this was THE game. Whole Finland was watching, and we've been anticipating this moment for years. I could see how nervous some of our players were, and overwhelmed also. But now after first game is done and won, i feel that we'll see completely different Finland against Russia.

Reactions: Bagge

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
And even though Denmark was dominant, they weren't that effective. If you just look at the basic stats, it's not telling the whole truth. Denmark's xG was around 1, so they didn't really get that dangerous chances, even though controlling the game. I feel sorry for Danish fans, and i completely understand that they feel robbed. But Denmark is a serious contender in the future also, for us these wins are way bigger things. Each win and even being in Euros means more for our football future, junior players to see that it's possible, more sponsors and money flowing to our junior work = giving us chance to play on Euros more often. Our national team was a topic of jokes and really lost interest of many, but now it is whole different thing.

Helsinki yesterday after win:

2b5936a78151ee5ec005475a4318d485.jpg

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen

My apologies. I did some research and it was actually much longer ago than I thought. The reason I remembered this was because Richard Møller Nielsen was their coach and they had everything in their own hands, but then a bizarre own goal in stopage time gave Hungary 1-1. It was the qualifiers to the 1998 WC I thought of.

Reactions: Legend Leinonen

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
And even though Denmark was dominant, they weren't that effective. If you just look at the basic stats, it's not telling the whole truth. Denmark's xG was around 1, so they didn't really get that dangerous chances, even though controlling the game. I feel sorry for Danish fans, and i completely understand that they feel robbed. But Denmark is a serious contender in the future also, for us these wins are way bigger things. Each win and even being in Euros means more for our football future, junior players to see that it's possible, more sponsors and money flowing to our junior work = giving us chance to play on Euros more often. Our national team was a topic of jokes and really lost interest of many, but now it is whole different thing.

Just to clear a couple of things up. I dont feel robbed and I centainly dont blame Finland for winning the game. It was our own mentally state that lost us the game and some circumstances that no one on the field is in charge of. You could see it in our players actions after they came back on the pitch. There was no energy or desire to win the game at the same level as before and it doesnt matter who you play at a eurochampionship, if you are not at your best, you will lose. Schmeichel takes that header 80 % of the time and we never put a defensive midfielder to take a penalty. Everything was just off after they decided to continue.

If I blame anyone it is solely UEFA and DBU that handled this in a way I find very odd and just shows me that this has all got to do with money and nothing to do with sports.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
As far as individual level goes, Arajuuri isn't close to Hyypiä who was at his best top-3 CB in the premier league.

Since he was in UEFA team of the year 2001, and ESM team of the year 00-01, technically, I don't think it would be incorrect to say that in his prime he was a top 2 CB in the world. Of course, at the same time, these are always bit of that matter of taste thing, so take it as you will.

UEFA Team of the Year - Wikipedia

European Sports Media - Wikipedia

Funny enough, I don't think we have ever had defenseman in hockey, who could be called top 2 in world.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
The thing about Finland, no disrespect intended, is that if you took their all-time XI, it'd probably still only be like the 10th best team in this tournament. It's just not a great football nation and their achievement level stacks up closer to Northern Macedonia than to Denmark.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland

Bottom line is this: we had 1 shot on goal. Even for a team that focuses on defense, 1 shot on goal is unexcusable. 1 is dangerously close to 0. You are not going to win games with 0 shots on goal.

This was very lucky win.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
The thing about Finland, no disrespect intended, is that if you took their all-time XI, it'd probably still only be like the 10th best team in this tournament. It's just not a great football nation and their achievement level stacks up closer to Northern Macedonia than to Denmark.

Our all-time XI would obviously be top team in this tournament. It is actually interesting how many top level individuals Finland has produced, in contra to modest national team success.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Point being? I don't think anyone here has claimed that Finland is a great football nation. What does previous success has anything to do with 2021? Belgium was absolute trash before and Finland swept floors with them during 2000's and look at them now.

Are you happy with the past success or would you rather play in Euros now? Ireland has 1 victory from the last 13 matches and that was against Andorra. Lost to Finland twice, lost to Luxembourg and didn't manage to win Bulgaria. Now that even N-Ireland isn't playing, i guess Scotland would be a good country for you to root for!

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Our all-time XI would obviously be top team in this tournament. It is actually interesting how many top level individuals Finland has produced, in contra to modest national team success.

I'm genuinely curious to see this All Time Finnish XI of yours. Who would be their best players, Litmanen and Hyppia? Would they even get in the France team?

tuozzi

Dec 9, 2011
Turku
This is an embarrassing take. The only players we have ever had that would make any of the top teams are Litmanen, Hyypiä and Hradecky. And the latter two would not make many of them.

Edit. I would be very curious to hear who these "top level individuals" are in your mind.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Are you happy with the past success or would you rather play in Euros now? Ireland has 1 victory from the last 13 matches and that was against Andorra. Lost to Finland twice, lost to Luxembourg and didn't manage to win Bulgaria. Now that even N-Ireland isn't playing, i guess Scotland would be a good country for you to root for!

No need to take it personally. You Finnish fans were talking about Finland's history as a football team. So just to put it in perspective - Finland even being at the Euro is a big success, everything beyond that would be the cherry on the top.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
Yeah right.

I didn't even say that it would be THE top team, but one of the top teams for sure. Prime Litmanen was third in Ballon d'OR 95, and many think he should have won that year. Prime Hyypiä was absolute top defender. Prime Mikael Forssell was top 5 scorer in Premier League 2003-2004.

This is the top 10 in 2003-2004

RankPlayerClubGoals
1 Thierry HenryArsenal30
2 Alan ShearerNewcastle United22
3 Louis SahaManchester United/Fulham20
Ruud van NistelrooyManchester United20
5 Mikael ForssellBirmingham City17
6 Nicolas AnelkaManchester City16
Juan Pablo ÁngelAston Villa16
Michael OwenLiverpool16
YakubuPortsmouth16
10 James BeattieSouthampton14
Robbie KeaneTottenham Hotspur14
Robert PiresArsenal14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

So essentially we have Ruud van Nistelrooy, Anelka, Michael Owen level scorer in PRIME Miklu Forssell.

Teemu Pukki is Championship legend who scored fastest fitty (five-0) goals in Championship history. Everybody knows CHAMPIONSHIP is toughest league, a man's league, spoiled p***yes go to Premier.

Roman Eremenko: Russian League MVP, 2014-2015, ENUFF SAID

Teemu Tainio, only player in history to win Finnish Cup, French Cup and English Cup, midfield terror terrier, ENUFF SAID

Petri Pasanen, led Werder Bremen to 2009 UEFA Cup Final. Most huge forehead in football history. ENUFF SAID

Hannu Tihinen, captained Anderlecht and Zurich to multiple victories. Old grannies in Belgium still get tingly when they here his name sung on a pub in Amsterdam.

Niklas Moisander, he's a sweet boy too.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I didn't even say that it would be THE top team, but one of the top teams for sure. Prime Litmanen was third in Ballon d'OR 95, and many think he should have won that year. Prime Hyypiä was absolute top defender. Prime Mikael Forssell was top 5 scorer in Premier League 2003-2004.

RankPlayerClubGoals
1 Thierry HenryArsenal30
Michael OwenLiverpool16
YakubuPortsmouth16
Robert PiresArsenal14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
So essentially we have Ruud van Nistelrooy, Anelka, Michael Owen level scorer in PRIME Miklu Forssell.

Teemu Pukki is Championship legend who scored fastest fitty (five-0) goals in Championship history. Everybody knows CHAMPIONSHIP is toughest league, a man's league, spoiled p***yes go to Premier.

Teemu Tainio, only player in history to win Finnish Cup, French Cup and English Cup, midfield terror terrier, ENUFF SAID

Petri Pasanen, led Werder Bremen to 2009 UEFA Cup Final. Most huge forehead in football history. ENUFF SAID

Hannu Tihinen, captained Anderlecht and Zurich to multiple victories. Old grannies in Belgium still get tingly when they here his name sung on a pub in Amsterdam.

This is good content tbh

Reactions: maclean

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
This is an embarrassing take. The only players we have ever had that would make any of the top teams are Litmanen, Hyypiä and Hradecky. And the latter two would not make many of them.

Edit. I would be very curious to hear who these "top level individuals" are in your mind.

It is not at all. There is maybe 3-4 teams who have absolute top level players for every position. I was answering post that it would be barely top 10.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

RankPlayerClubGoals
1 Thierry HenryArsenal30
Michael OwenLiverpool16
YakubuPortsmouth16
Robert PiresArsenal14
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Those are the kind of guys Poland has on the bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad