Euro: Group B: Denmark vs. Belgium, 6/17/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I feel bad for Denmark. Their spirited effort deserved more. But very impressed with Belgium, a mature performance in difficult circumstances. I think they have a legit chance to win the tournament.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
We gave it all we had, it wasnt enough. The better team won, nothing more to say. Im sure Belgium will reach semis at least.

Their back end is vulnerable. A decent attacking team can open them up. Danes squandered a few decent opportunities.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Really unfortunate result for Denmark. They played their hearts out and really controlled the majority of the game.

But when you have quality like Lukaku and KDB...man. All you need are a couple chances.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel bad for Denmark. Their spirited effort deserved more. But very impressed with Belgium, a mature performance in difficult circumstances. I think they have a legit chance to win the tournament.
Like everyone except for the French...and Spanish to a lesser extent...it's their backline that causes me the most hesitation wrt Belgium.

If they hold up against the big boys, their midfield & attack can win them games...but that's exactly how I feel about the Italians, English, Germans, etc., as well.

France & Spain are the only teams whose backlines I trust completely, even against top tier opposition, with Portugal a half step down. Everyone else is vulnerable IMO.

Reactions: HostileCapSpace

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Good game, great effort by Denmark in this one. Great second half by Belgium who kept their cool and capitalized on their chances!

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Like everyone except for the French...and Spanish to a lesser extent...it's their backline that causes me the most hesitation wrt Belgium.

If they hold up against the big boys, their midfield & attack can win them games...but that's exactly how I feel about the Italians, English, Germans, etc., as well.

I think the thing that sets Belgium apart for me is KdB. I think he might be the best player in the tournament.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I think the thing that sets Belgium apart for me is KdB. I think he might be the best player in the tournament.

He & Mbappe have to be the early favorites for that title, but the best player doesn't always win...especially when his team has a clear weakness that can be exploited.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bipolar Belgium. They looked commanding and decisive in their opening game, and looked anything but in this one.

member 305909

Denmark is a much better team than Russia but they have to prove it by beating them in the final round.

That would take Denmark to the second place as no way Finland will get anything from Belgium.

If Denmark beats Russia by more than a goal Finland is the third and their GD may decide whether they get through or not.

If Denmark beats Russia 2-1, 3-2,4-3 etc Finland is ourt unless it performs a miracle against Belgium.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
4-1 for Belgium over Finland (even if they don't play Lukaku). Denmark 2-1 win over Russia if they start Dolberg, otherwise 1-1 draw.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Bipolar Belgium. They looked commanding and decisive in their opening game, and looked anything but in this one.

Vs a desperate Denmark playing at home in front of a packed crowd in an emotionally charged environment. Belgium conceded early and looked up against it. Instead, Belgium rallied and got the goals back they needed. Type of performance and result Germany used to get in these types of games. Proves to me their mettle more than beating up on a distinctly average Russia.

member 305909

You can only be tactical to get a "suitable" opponent in the round of 16 but beyond that there are no easy opponents left.

Finland is the second worst team of the tournament and Belgium is the second or third best. Only if they rest all of their opening 11 there could be a surprise draw. Unlikely even then.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Belgium isn't the 2nd or 3rd best team IMO.
France and Italy are way in front as of now, and then England, Germany, Portugal are certainly not lesser opponents than Belgium.
Now everyone of those teams can beat any other on a given match, but as of now, that's how I rate them.

Reactions: Wee Baby Seamus

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Belgium isn't the 2nd or 3rd best team IMO.
France and Italy are way in front as of now, and then England, Germany, Portugal are certainly not lesser opponents than Belgium.
Now everyone of those teams can beat any other on a given match, but as of now, that's how I rate them.

I need to see the italian defense face a top side before I'm on board...fun as they have been with the ball. For now, I think the Belgians worry me more.

I also want to see Spain with Moreno in place of Morata. I still won't trust their keeping, but their pressing against Sweden was unsettling.

buddahsmoka1

Nov 15, 2006
Cant see why not, except the usual explanations like the ball is round and its a game of 11 vs 11.

Don't get me wrong, I think Belgium can beat Italy. But Italy looks extremely in form and I think are favorites in that matchup. Bottom line, I don't think Belgium is a shoe-in for the semis if Italy and Belgium both win their groups.

Also, theoretically Belgium could draw a third place team from the Group of Death.

Reactions: Evilo

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
France & Spain are the only teams whose backlines I trust completely, even against top tier opposition, with Portugal a half step down.

Llorente is wasted as a RB, Laporte is good but he never played on this team before, Torres is overrated and Alba is only good offensively nowadays. Behind them they have one of the worst goalkeepers in La Liga, who's only there because he's good for tiki-taka.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad