GDT: Group B • Feb. 14 • Canada vs. Austria • Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hab-a-maniac

Sep 28, 2003
Toronto via Calgary!
Visit site
I feel like Babcock put Luongo in against Austria knowing it might've been an easier test and that his performance would remain fresh in everyone's mind being the 2nd game and all. Luongo has answered the bell. He didn't drop the ball and combine that with the seniority and already being the defender of the throne I see him starting against the Finns. Babcock was hoping it would be more cut-and-dry than this I suppose cause you couldn't really go wrong with either goalie but if one of them slips up against the Finns, out come the armchair quarterbacks who'll say "Price/Luongo should've started! It was a mistake to start Luongo/Price" :nod:

SAnuck

Nov 25, 2013
Vancouver Island
It's gotta be Luongo's net. Not that Price is a bad goaltender and to be honest it really doesn't matter, we will have solid Goaltending either way, however this is Luongo's to lose. After winning Gold in 2010, having a great year this year (in front of a below average Canucks) and a shut out in his first game, this is his to lose.

If he struggles against Finland then by all means it's back to Price, but for now its Robertos!

Great game by the Canadians and you could see the chemistry growing. Duchene needs to be in this team and so does PK, but I still think Hamhuis belongs over Vlasic.

Kunitz didn't play great but either did Sharp in the first game, either way I think they will provide similar output.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
The only reason Kunitz came was to help Crosby. He's not doing that. Time to sit him for a game and see if Crosby's game comes around.

Ya, I would give it another period against the Finns to see for sure if that experiment will work. I doubt it will though. I hope this will forever end HC's fascination with the chemistry for Sid debate.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I'm watching and supporting all the Canadian Olympians.

Figure skating is such a difficult discipline. Hate to say it but I think they are better athletes that hockey players as they need to have complete control over every inch of their bodies.

Once Canada was up 6-0 you could see the guys weren't playing as hard. No point really except for point spread and individual stats.

Anything so dependent on judging is a quasi-sport and not an actual sport

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The only problem there is now you're pretty small on the wings.

A big part of Canada's success in 2010 was having a legion of big, strong, fast forechecking wingers.

There's plenty of talent on this roster. The bigger concern is having a few guys big and fast enough to go up against an Ovechkin. Giroux's not doing that.

This x1000000

Crosby
banderas-joel-lego.gif

Strong gif LOL

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Could not care less who the #6/#7 dman is on this team. Hamhuis/Subban aren't going to make or break this team from winning gold

It's not over until it's over. Everything matters. The best defenders only and the best defender combinations are important. Doughty with Subban may not be the best chemistry.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Crosby PPG

Career - 1.409
East - 1.443
West - 1.221

Crosby's PPG against the West is higher than any active players career PPG.

LOLowned.

Ok, my final lines for the game against Finland:

Duchene-Crosby-MSL
Marleau-Toews-Nash
Sharp-Getzlaf-Perry
Benn-(Tavares/Bergeron)-(Tavares/Bergeron)
(Carter gets spot duty on Toews RW)

I like the idea of not loading up Sid's line completely cuz it will be heavily checked and keeping Tavares off of it to create against lesser defenders.

So even if Kunitz spots in with Sid again, it's not a huge deal cuz it'll set another forward free to create on another line.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Yes it does. I wanted to see how well they all played. I specifically tuned in to watch hockey. Not figure skating. If I wanted to watch that ****, I'd have flipped on TSN
Lol if you can't survive a few minutes of split-screen to watch one of the best athletes in the country go for his dream to win a gold medal then there's no hope for you as a sports fan.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Austria was pressing the entire game. How many breakaways did they get yesterday vs Canada?

guess we weren't watching the same game. Austria had a 4 minute PP where they did nothing.

hell, Getzlaf waltzed in untouched and scored an easy SH goal.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Good to see Luongo having a good game
Price or Luongo for next game
it doesn't matter, TC has good goaltending which is key

Im happy with either, but if the knock on price is the miscommunication on that goal, in a game where for insanely long stretches he just stood there, that's tough.

I think you can get kind of a feel for the offensive lines and the defensive pairings, but goaltending is really hard to evalaute because as we go forward, the likelyhood of blowouts like today or periods where we hem the other team in their defensive zone for the whole period.

but that aint luongo's problem either, he stopped the pucks he needed to.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I thought everyone was in agreement that no matter what happened today Price was the starter against Finland. Now because Luongo got a shut out it's changed? This was Austria folks, I doubt anything has changed in terms of goalies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad