GDT: Group B • Dec. 26 • Finland 2, United States 3 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't say that I expect Canadians to root for Team USA but I will admit that I was shocked, and a little disappointed with the Canadian fans treatment of our junior team last year. I honestly had no idea that Canadians had such animosity towards American hockey.

Personally, I had always rooted for Team Canada in international competition (when they weren't playing Team USA) because I have always thought of Canada as our North American brothers, you know? I was mildly upset that Canadians would boo Americans period, let alone a bunch of kids.

Obviously, my stance on the topic has changed slightly since then.

I was at a pre-tourny game with America and Latvia and I was cheering for a good game (which meant cheering against the States; they won 13-2) and I know many Canadians were doing the same (for various reasons, likely not all the same as mine). My point is, you really never know why people cheer for or against teams. Heck, I'm a Stars fan and I have to explain the whole Mighty Ducks movie to explain why I like Dallas yet I'm from Canada.

But, IMO, it's likely nothing to do with hockey why Canadians cheer against the States. In Vancouver for instance, it was all about logging. A lot of the playoff booing was a tit-for-tat thing but mainly it is political (especially with the hatred towards President Bush). Stuff like that happens; transference is rather inevitable, IMO. If you feel that because some Canadians chirp then you shouldn't cheer for who you want to cheer for than that's a shame. Just know that some people can leave it strictly to hockey while others can't.. just like I'm sure everyone has that person who gets carried away with the game (chirps, temper, fights, etc.) and is slightly embarrassed by.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I wouldn't say that I expect Canadians to root for Team USA but I will admit that I was shocked, and a little disappointed with the Canadian fans treatment of our junior team last year. I honestly had no idea that Canadians had such animosity towards American hockey.

Personally, I had always rooted for Team Canada in international competition (when they weren't playing Team USA) because I have always thought of Canada as our North American brothers, you know? I was mildly upset that Canadians would boo Americans period, let alone a bunch of kids.

Take it as a compliment. Nobody cheered against the U.S. when you had no hope of winning but now you're the top threat. Of course most Canadians are going to cheer for anybody who could derail you. It's nothing more than that. Personally, if Canada can't win, I want the U.S. to keep it in North America.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yeah, and it looked bad for Nelson, how he wasn't moving his left arm at all as he came off. But Morin? He was pretty damned noticeable all night (mostly in a good way) and I don't recall him going off dented.

I read that Morin was hit by a shot and may miss the rest of the tourney. But seeing him play for over a year he would need to be basically comatose for him to miss a game especially in his backyard.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

I think some ill-will started a cpl of Olympics ago.
(I don't want to post the reason here and start the crapfest all over again but i could pm you if you really want to know the reason)

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I think some ill-will started a cpl of Olympics ago.
(I don't want to post the reason here and start the crapfest all over again but i could pm you if you really want to know the reason)

Women, hockey, flag.......

Blue Jays, U S Marines, world series, flag

Sports brings us all closer :lol:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Team USA doesn't have enough puck distributors and has too many guys who think they're more skilled than they really are.

Playing Finland doesn't help, because they play tough D, but very few guys were making good decisions on the ice

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
Nick Leddy impressed me last night, and I thought he had a solid game along with Faulk. I was a little disappointed with Merrill and his decision making at times. Duommelin really impressed me a lot last night.

Is Luke Walker to old for this years WJC???

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
How did Leddy look?

Very solid. I loved him and Faulk out there.

Merrill was great in the O-zone, to me. Very shaky outside of it.

Coyle and Kreider look fantastic together. Bjugstad and Bourque look fantastic together. The other wings on each of those lines both need to do more (Palmieri and Morin, respectively).

I would love to see Kreider get a shot with Bjugstad and Bourque.

Campbell looked rock solid, to me. I love his poise.

Holy Jokinen

Mar 4, 2007
Tampa

Coyle and Kreider look fantastic together. Bjugstad and Bourque look fantastic together. The other wings on each of those lines both need to do more (Palmieri and Morin, respectively).

That's what i was hoping for. Would be a pretty exciting line to watch.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
WJC is more exciting then 90% of playoff NBA pre finals games, its a good thing all the big names in NBA will consolidate and there will be 6 good teams and rest should just get contracted out.

NASCAR is about as exciting as watching water boil, unless there is a redneck fight, they need to add this two guys pull over and duke it out winner of the fight takes over the lead but then the race would just be all the dudes fighting till there is a winner.

when 18yr olds are more fun to watch because they play a good game its sad i just wish ESPN would pull the NBA sausage out of their mouth and start promoting hockey, the last two years hockey on VS has had better ratings then NBA on ESPN, that alone is sad.

TheGooooch

Mar 29, 2008
San Francisco
WJC is more exciting then 90% of playoff NBA pre finals games, its a good thing all the big names in NBA will consolidate and there will be 6 good teams and rest should just get contracted out.

NASCAR is about as exciting as watching water boil, unless there is a redneck fight, they need to add this two guys pull over and duke it out winner of the fight takes over the lead but then the race would just be all the dudes fighting till there is a winner.

when 18yr olds are more fun to watch because they play a good game its sad i just wish ESPN would pull the NBA sausage out of their mouth and start promoting hockey, the last two years hockey on VS has had better ratings then NBA on ESPN, that alone is sad.

I am a hockey fan but what you are saying is just what some say about hockey. It is your opinion, yet presented as if it is fact. People will like what they like, that is it

mt77850

Jul 13, 2004
Waltham, MA
Take it as a compliment. Nobody cheered against the U.S. when you had no hope of winning but now you're the top threat. Of course most Canadians are going to cheer for anybody who could derail you. It's nothing more than that. Personally, if Canada can't win, I want the U.S. to keep it in North America.

Well regardless of anything, I'm not really sure why Canadians wouldn't want an opportunity to knock off the reigning champions themselves.....on top of that, unless either the US or Canada has a really bad game at some point, I don't really see anyone else that is gonna knock them off. I personally loved the competition level between the two teams last year. That was seriously awesome hockey. The championship winning game was pretty amazing for edge of your seat action.....I'm hoping for the same kind of thing this year whether the US wins or loses....

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009

Kreider did absolutely nothing last night. Skating in a straight line 'north-south' and chipping pucks deep evertime isn't enough from one of your "stars".

I thought Coyle was decent, but didn't do much offensively. I like his game a lot though, and I expect big improvements as the tourney goes on. He is one of the better players on the team.

Bjugstad was the best player by far and is w/o question the #1 center. Glad to see Allain recognize that off-the-bat.

Bourque...ehhh...he is what he is, a decent junior player with heart but with limited capabilities.

Zucker should be up on the first line. I know he plays with Shore at DU, but Shore is one of the weaker players on the team IMO. I was really disappointed with him last night. He looks okay with DU, but he has been putting up points so I was beginning to think I was wrong about him. Guess I wasn't.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Kreider did absolutely nothing last night. Skating in a straight line 'north-south' and chipping pucks deep evertime isn't enough from one of your "stars".

He sprung Palmieri with good passes on both of his big offensive rushes. He also helped the latter when his stick broke on the first pp before sending the puck back to the point where Faulk and Merrill combined for the first goal. To be honest, I thought that Kreider and Palmieri worked well as a duo. Combined with Coyle they're the most effective unit as a line IMO (which isn't surprising 'cause they've spent the most time together). Jonathan probably doesn't like Palmieri because a lot of the time he plays an individual style game rather than relying on his linemates (same as Morin). If Palmieri could have buried his chances he'd have been he star of the game.

Bjugstad was the best player by far and is w/o question the #1 center. Glad to see Allain recognize that off-the-bat.

I've agreed with others on his play against Finland but I want to see him go out and do it again before I call him the unquestioned #1 center. Consistency has been an issue for him.

Bourque...ehhh...he is what he is, a decent junior player with heart but with limited capabilities.

I agree with you here. I didn't necessarily feel he accomplished all that much. Bjugstad was just great last night and Bourque was along for the ride.

Zucker should be up on the first line. I know he plays with Shore at DU, but Shore is one of the weaker players on the team IMO. I was really disappointed with him last night. He looks okay with DU, but he has been putting up points so I was beginning to think I was wrong about him. Guess I wasn't.

Too early to say for sure with Shore. He and Zucker have been great together at DU and this team seems to be suffering from chemistry issues already so I don't know how I feel about splitting them up so early. With the injury to Nelson they should get more ice time.

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
I agree with you here. I didn't necessarily feel he accomplished all that much. Bjugstad was just great last night and Bourque was along for the ride.

I thought Bourque was more of a burden to his line than just along for the ride. There were numerous times where he turned the puck over within 5 feet of the defensive blueline by failing to make the correct play. He has to realize that as a returning player (I wasn't impressed with him last year either), he needs to set an example by making solid plays. From my recollection he also bobbled more pucks - receiving or making passes - than any other forward.

D'Amigo looked shaky as well, the first Finnish goal is pretty much 90% attributable to him and maybe 10% attributable to Campbell and Leddy, imo.

All in all, I think the team lacked intensity and played far to nonchalant to beat the best teams in this tournament. The brightside is that there is plenty of time to work on converting this from a purely skilled to a skilled and intense team.

My fear is that this turns out to be another US team that goes in favored and can't get motivated when it needs to. I'd like to, and give the injuries probably will, see Callahan take a more regular shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad