Euro: Group A: Wales vs. Switzerland, 6/12/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Absolutely. If Arsenal got Kante (who’s agent was begging us to sign him) instead of Mustafi in the summer of 2016 like Wenger wanted I wonder what could have been.
Nope it was Kante or Xhaka IIRC.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I am enjoying how surprised these announcers are about Mbabu. He's been good for a while for Wolfsburg since that stint at Newcastle years ago :laugh:

A big part of why Baku has spent so much time playing RW for them...on top of just wanting to put him in more attacking positions to utilize his creativity...has been wanting to get both of them into the side.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Nope it was Kante or Xhaka IIRC.
Well, in that case I wonder what would have happened with Kante instead of Xhaka. A midfield of Kante, Cazorla, Özil and Ramsey with Sanchez up top would have won us the league.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Switzerland are a great team, I don’t know why people are surprised. They reached the nations league semis in 2019, and took points of both Spain and Germany last fall. Well coached with a strong midfield and good ball playing defenders in the build up

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Embolo was getting mugged in the box and Swiss still almost scored

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Switzerland are a great team, I don’t know why people are surprised. They reached the nations league semis in 2019, and took points of both Spain and Germany last fall. Well coached with a strong midfield and good ball playing defenders in the build up

Wales are also not aggressive at all against the ball. That allows Switzerland to play the way they like to with deliberate methodical build-up. It's one thing for Wales to approach this as a counter-attacking team, but you need to do a bit of pressing to win the ball to get those chances in transition and Wales aren't trying to do much of anything. It looks like they're happy to trust that the Swiss forwards live up to their reputation of ineffectiveness.

Reactions: AB13

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Wales are also not aggressive at all against the ball. That allows Switzerland to play the way they like to with deliberate methodical build-up. It's one thing for Wales to approach this as a counter-attacking team, but you need to do a bit of pressing to win the ball to get those chances in transition and Wales aren't trying to do much of anything. It looks like they're happy to trust that the Swiss forwards live up to their reputation of ineffectiveness.

They need to be more aggressive to launch counter attacks, sure. Bale, James and Ramsey are ideal counter attacking outlets. Playing low block football against this Swiss team isn’t stupid though, but I would go for more of a mid block.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Eh, the swiss just have good ball playing defenders & allow Xhaka to the time/space that he needs...while Wales just isn't very good. Pressing more aggressively could easily just exhaust the welsh while opening things up for the swiss.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Eh, the swiss just have good ball playing defenders & allow Xhaka to the time/space that he needs...while Wales just isn't very good. Pressing more aggressively could easily just exhaust the welsh while opening things up for the swiss.

Wales players all ply their trade in England, so you'd think running hard and pressing relentlessly would be one thing they'd be reasonable at.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The Welsh are looking better going forward in this half, swiss can't get sloppy and need to put some distance between themselves & Wales.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad