Euro: Group A: Wales vs. Switzerland, 6/12/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
This game is in Baku, which sucks because we know their stadium's camera angle is about a million miles away from the pitch. Anyway, Switzerland is one of those teams I was talking about a few days ago when I said that some of these teams had super talented youth players that didn't really pan out. Switzerland also doesn't really have a generation to follow those players, so they're still playing them in big tournaments despite the way they bombed.

Unfortunately this game is way too early so I don't think I'll watch it until later in the day. I think Wales has a good enough midfield to not be overrun here and I think they'll force a draw.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The swiss attackers all ended up being too streaky for the very top level, but they've got some talented defenders to put in front of Sommer with Elvdi, Akanji & the young Omeragic leading the way. Plus a midfield that could be very tough & draining behind those speedy forwards with Zakaria, Freuler, Sow, Edmilson & Xhaka to pick from....sure, Granit moves like current-Toni-Kroos, but the rest are all very mobile & robust.

Can't tip them to go too far, but if their attackers are on form they'll be a tough out who defends well & can punch back if you get sloppy against them.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Aaron Ramsey vs Granit Xhaka. This is the beautiful game. Hopefully Ramsey is fit enough to play. Switzerland have a stronger team, but I'm going for a draw.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
ESPN sound quality on this is terrible. I get that they're not going to send a crew to Baku, but there's ways to mitigate that..it doesn't have to sound like they're calling the commentary in with a potato.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing I like about this coverage is that the game starts within 5 minutes of whatever time they tell you it’s going to start

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
ESPN sound quality on this is terrible. I get that they're not going to send a crew to Baku, but there's ways to mitigate that..it doesn't have to sound like they're calling the commentary in with a potato.

Also sounds like Cangialosi is yelling, though that’s his style with the Devils and Red Bulls but the audio quality has improved, at the start sounding something from the 70s

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
He’s probably still good though, 22 goals in the Liga Nos this season. Also just 29, thought he was way older.
His club record is good, he just doesn't seem to do much at major tournaments. I keep thinking as a Nation, they would have someone better come through the ranks.

Hoping it will be Zekiri in a couple of years.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Xhaka has been very very good. Slower paced games when he is allowed to control things with his passing range really suit him.

Reactions: robertmac43

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Xhaka has been very very good. Slower paced games when he is allowed to control things with his passing range really suit him.

Also really important for him to have someone like Freuler / Zakaria / Kramer to do the running that he can't.

Reactions: AB13

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His club record is good, he just doesn't seem to do much at major tournaments. I keep thinking as a Nation, they would have someone better come through the ranks.

Hoping it will be Zekiri in a couple of years.

Embolo stagnating really hurt them; though this season might have been a step in the right direction for him.

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No social distancing rules needed in Baku there. 50% capacity allowed, looks like at most 10% are actually utilized. For some reason the Azeri masses weren't flocking to this epic match.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Also really important for him to have someone like Freuler / Zakaria / Kramer to do the running that he can't.
Absolutely. If Arsenal got Kante (who’s agent was begging us to sign him) instead of Mustafi in the summer of 2016 I wonder what could have been. Wenger wanted Kante but Gazidis just had to buy Mustafi.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00