Euro: Group A: Wales vs. Switzerland, 6/12/2021

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Wales fortunate, Swiss missed too many chances and got conservative after scoring. Ideal result for Turkey though from the beginning I think this group will be one with the third place team not advancing

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Swiss are clearly ahead of them. Hopefully they won’t be as immature going forward in this tournament. Because they were really fun to watch

Unfortunately, though the swiss are good, they are even better at finding ways to underachieve.

On the positive side, Turkey are even better at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory...so unless the welsh get their s*** together, the Swiss should still be in good shape if they beat the Turks.
Coach takes blame for taking out shaqiri next game they will be better or should be

Yeah, bringing Zakaria on was a good call, but it was Seferovic who should've come off at that point, not Shaq.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Switzerland lacking the absolute will to win the game trying to hold on to the lead way to early. Same story as the hockey WC. Now I dont really care about this team even nearly as much as about the hockey NT but its still somewhat frustrating.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This result makes this group very intriguing for Matchday 2 and 3.

The group is certainly interesting. As the Swiss could well take a point (or more) off the Italians if they play them as well as they play against us :laugh:

While watching them & the turks try to hand each other the game, should be a blast regardless of how it ends.

...kinda feel like this might be Wales' high point of the tourney...

Reactions: robertmac43

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Switzerland lacking the absolute will to win the game trying to hold on to the lead way to early. Same story as the hockey WC. Now I dont really care about this team even nearly as much as about the hockey NT but its still somewhat frustrating.

I was just going to say that both the Swiss hockey and football team seem to never quite play for keeps. Like they have no killer instinct.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is like the best explanation I've ever heard lol. I would it if it has to do with their culture? Suisse is always known as a beautiful and quiet country without much of anything in terms of highs and lows. It has always been consistent in happiness and ambition that it might reduce that "killer instinct" other nations have.

Embolo was awesome though, I am still a big fan of them even though he hasn't necessarily ever reached his hype level when we was younger. I am looking forward to how he progresses in this tourney.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Also I forgot to add, that PBP for ESPN in this match had to be THEE WORST PBP I've ever heard in my life for any sport I've watched.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
This is like the best explanation I've ever heard lol. I would it if it has to do with their culture? Suisse is always known as a beautiful and quiet country without much of anything in terms of highs and lows. It has always been consistent in happiness and ambition that it might reduce that "killer instinct" other nations have.

Embolo was awesome though, I am still a big fan of them even though he hasn't necessarily ever reached his hype level when we was younger. I am looking forward to how he progresses in this tourney.

Hard to say why the mentality often doesnt seem to be there in team sports. I do feel like swiss people are a bit less compeditive in general than some other nationalities but then I hardly know any pro athletes so its hard to say.

As far as Embolo goes I always felt that he was overrated when he was younger because he was phisically already pretty mature when he was a teenager and therefore made Basels first team at 17. I havent followed his development in germany much though but thought he looked great today like a real power forward. So I am really intersted as well to see if he can turn his career around especially after his scandal this year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hard to say why the mentality often doesnt seem to be there in team sports. I do feel like swiss people are a bit less compeditive in general than some other nationalities but then I hardly know any pro athletes so its hard to say.

As far as Embolo goes I always felt that he was overrated when he was younger because he was phisically already pretty mature when he was a teenager and therefore made Basels first team at 17. I havent followed his development in germany much though but thought he looked great today like a real power forward. So I am really intersted as well to see if he can turn his career around especially after his scandal this year.

Embolo, like so many footballers, is a talented idiot. On the pitch; this season was a good step for him after having squandered so much time at Schalke, but he's still very streaky.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Just watched the game. Wales weren't very good, but if not for VAR that would have been the absolute worst allowed goal in quite some time. Not really a deserved point, but they got one anyway. If Switzerland had a better finisher they'd have won going away.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Just watched the game. Wales weren't very good, but if not for VAR that would have been the absolute worst allowed goal in quite some time. Not really a deserved point, but they got one anyway. If Switzerland had a better finisher they'd have won going away.

Pretty sure the broadcast I was watching, played a replay showing that Gacinovic's foot was still onside and it was his body leaning that put him off. But a lot has happened since then, so I may be misremembering.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pretty sure the broadcast I was watching, played a replay showing that Gacinovic's foot was still onside and it was his body leaning that put him off. But a lot has happened since then, so I may be misremembering.

I didn't see the clip with the offside line until just now. It was way closer than I thought.

Reactions: cgf

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Looked clear offside to me too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad