GDT: Group A • Dec. 30 • Sweden 9, Slovakia 1

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Well Cowen was injured and his primarily defensive style was out of place on the offensive Canadians (his offence has evolved a lot more since obviously). I'm not sure if either of those apply to Zibanejad.

Second, I accept that this tournament doesn't mean everything but I'm still kind of waiting for Zib to impress me this year. Really all I've seen that hasn't left me a little unsatisfied was the rookie tourney where he was playing against players older than 19 and 20. In the pre-season he was producing but I wasn't really enthralled with his over-all game. Even moreso in the regular season but minus the production. Then I haven't been able to watch the SEL games but it sounds like it's been flashes of brilliance rather than an over-all consistent performance. Again I'm willing to write some of that off because he is raw and he's playing with men. But it shouldn't be that big a difference playing as an 18 year old against 19-year-olds.

EDIT: Also he keeps falling down. What's up with that?

Cowen wasn't injured last year but was half the player he is right now in the NHL.

I think you're expecting too much. He's already been called the best shooter in the tournament, and has had his one timer compared to stamkos "with no exageration". He's also gonna be 6'2 220 and is one of the most polished and explosive skaters in the tournament.

He's fallen down here today but it's never anything I've seen from him as a problem before.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Sweden has to be scoring more on their chances against the better teams to going anywhere past the quarter finals.

PTmbp13

Jan 21, 2007
shouldn't it be 4min penalty when theres blood? Or is it only NHL rule?

Swedes got only 2min PP

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
shouldn't it be 4min penalty when theres blood? Or is it only NHL rule?

Swedes got only 2min PP

I think that's only automatic if its a stick violation, since the ref thought they saw an elbow in Klingbergs face there's no automatic 2 extra minutes.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Cowen wasn't injured last year but was half the player he is right now in the NHL.

I think you're expecting too much. He's already been called the best shooter in the tournament, and has had his one timer compared to stamkos "with no exageration". He's also gonna be 6'2 220 and is one of the most polished and explosive skaters in the tournament.

He's fallen down here today but it's never anything I've seen from him as a problem before.

Fair point on Cowen.

I'm not questioning ZibNasty's tools. His shot and his skating are just outstanding. But what age group does he have to be playing against to use them for more than just flashes of brilliance, and to regularly be one of the best players on the ice in a game? 16-year-olds? Because there doesn't seem to be much difference in his performance and contribution here than there was in the NHL pre-season and I think this is a lower level of competition.

I did think he had a better second period, mind you. But are you not at all disappointed? I mean I know you can rationalize all this but weren't you hoping for more?

Kamzik

Dec 18, 2008
Matousek is back, which is very good. Can't afford to lose the captain!

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Swedish top scorers so far: Friberg, Collberg, Rensfeldt, Thorell.

Unexpected or what.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad