GDT: Group A • Dec. 31 • Canada vs. USA • Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmjayb

Jan 4, 2004
:laugh: even when Reinhart dominates a game, a lot of people still can't see it. He did absolutely everything that game, including giving domi 2 tap-ins.

Couldn't agree more; playing like a 20 year veteran; just consistently smart and sometimes brilliantly subtle plays. And thats the key, he is sublte, unlike Domi, who is a Vegas quality show. Don't get me wrong, I went into the tournament hating Domi and while I am not a huge fan of the Tie-like showmanship, he has been absolutely outstanding and am thrilled with his performance and skill ... exactly what this team has missed the past number of years. But Reinhart.... soooooo good. He's good in a Toews/Kopitar "intangibles" sorta way... not good in a flashy Ovy/Kane/(Domi) sorta way. I think good teams have both subtle and flashy, and we are lucky we do.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I was saying Heatherington shouldn't have made this team from the start.

He's a solid shutdown guy in the WHL as it's a lower overall level of competition compared to the world juniors, I just don't see that extra gear in him to be a shutdown guy at this level.

Choosing Hicketts as a primary shutdown guy is just a mistake but he wasn't getting cut with Lowry coaching. And he's been super impressive this year in the WHL offensively and defensively , very disappointed with his play.
Are you kidding? Heatherington was as safe as a defenceman can get, he isn't the best skater but he uses his stick well, keeps players to the outside, wins puck battles and gets the puck out quickly.

I'm very happy with how Heatherington is playing as a #5.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Are you kidding? Heatherington was as safe as a defenceman can get, he isn't the best skater but he uses his stick well, keeps players to the outside, wins puck battles and gets the puck out quickly.

I'm very happy with how Heatherington is playing as a #5.

Well he was borderline trainwreck in the U.S game. Sure showed how safe he can be when they play real competition.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Well he was borderline trainwreck in the U.S game. Sure showed how safe he can be when they play real competition.
I don't know, I liked him. He seemed to win the puck battles and quickly got it out, no fancy plays but good passes and quickly got the puck out.

arsmaster*

I don't know, I liked him. He seemed to win the puck battles and quickly got it out, no fancy plays but good passes and quickly got the puck out.

His poor pass lead directly to the US' second goal. I initially thought it was morin.

I've liked Heatherington more than Morin too.

I don't like Theodore forming a shutdown pair. He's not exactly a shut down dman.

I mean it's hard to argue with the results but I think the pairs need to go into the mixer.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
RangersTown
Good description. Really love this kid. It helped that he was going up against Brandon Carlo all night, but he looked very good. People get on his case because he isn't flashy like Domi, but Reinhart is awesome.

On the other hand, McDavid was a total pissbaby tonight.

Yeah you can. Larkin's had it twice.

So not true. What a dumb description of a player.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
His poor pass lead directly to the US' second goal. I initially thought it was morin.

I've liked Heatherington more than Morin too.

I don't like Theodore forming a shutdown pair. He's not exactly a shut down dman.

I mean it's hard to argue with the results but I think the pairs need to go into the mixer.

Pairings are fine, just put Morrissey and Nurse together to close out games.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
We're a balanced team on both ends of the ice. Nurse is a man beast. Loved his swag.

I feel confident mainly because we have four good lines rolling and Fucale might just have earned his next start due to Comries nerves in the third.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Two empty netters = DOMINANCE.
It really was, well atleast the last 2 periods. USA couldn't keep pace and didn't really have alot of offensive zone time and when they did they were just cycling to the outside doing nothing. Canada didn't let them get anything done, swarmed the puck, stole it and worked their way out with effective passing. When Canada can do that well then it's hard to stop a team with that amount of skill and USA failed.

Yeah and inadvertently caused two goals against.
Comrie should have had the 3rd goal that Larkin shot, Heatherington kept him to the outside. On the 2nd one, was he the one to turn the puck over or try to play the 2 on 1?

arsmaster*

Two empty netters = DOMINANCE.

The first period was even. Canada took the game to the US from the 2nd on. Outshot the heck out of them and had the better chances.

Canada was clearly the better team on this night.

Larkin made it look better for you guys late.

I wouldn't say dominant but I'd say Canada controlled the game.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Comrie should have had the 3rd goal that Larkin shot, Heatherington kept him to the outside. On the 2nd one, was he the one to turn the puck over or try to play the 2 on 1?

3rd goal would have never happened if he had better gap control after the guy walked Gauthier, if he stepped up there would have been no goal, he gave him way too much room.

Yes, the second goal resulted in an errand pass by Heatherington behind the skates of Hicketts in which bounced right to the U.S.

Two really easily corrected plays that almost cost us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad