Post-Game Talk (GBU): Groundhog Day

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
NO! He's been carried by great talent his whole career. We need a coach that will establish a strong structure. Sutter remains the perfect theoretical candidate.

So no to Alian because he has been carried by talent but yes to Sutter? Am I wrong for thinking this is a very ironic comment?

I watched Alian very closely when he was in Vancouver. Is he the best coach in the world? No. Is he light years ahead of Phil? Yes. Is he better than Sutter? In my view yes as Sutter is a one trick pony. If we had a collection of players in their prime who needed a kick in the behind I would be in favour of bringing Sutter in. It's way too early for him at the moment.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Would’ve been interesting to hear Phil’s answer to line matching and why he matched jack vs Bergeron

I suspect it wouldn’t be interesting. Either coach speak for I’m the only idiot in the world who intentionally put my best scorer out against the best defensive center in a generation or .... I like to roll lines. Either way to painful to be interesting.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So no to Alian because he has been carried by talent but yes to Sutter? Am I wrong for thinking this is a very ironic comment?

I watched Alian very closely when he was in Vancouver. Is he the best coach in the world? No. Is he light years ahead of Phil? Yes. Is he better than Sutter? In my view yes as Sutter is a one trick pony. If we had a collection of players in their prime who needed a kick in the behind I would be in favour of bringing Sutter in. It's way too early for him at the moment.
Alain was carried by having arguably the best two goalies of their generation in Bobby Lou and Hank (and I don't think him being the best goalie of this generation can be argued).

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Alain was carried by having arguably the best two goalies of their generation in Bobby Lou and Hank (and I don't think him being the best goalie of this generation can be argued).

Yes, it had nothing to do with having one of the most potent offenses in the league. It had nothing to do with his ability as a coach being able to adapt to the talent he was given over the course of his tenure in Vancouver. He was able to guide a scrappy, goal starved team to the playoffs in 07 and then the offensive power houses that culminated in the Cup run in 2011. If anything V proved he was versatile and understood how to deploy the talent he had to maximize success.

I'm not saying he is perfect (His reluctance to play young players and his stubborn refusal to change his perception of certain players he doesn't trust has always bothered me) but I'd much rather have him at the helm over Housley or Sutter.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Can I add to the ugly......

Twitter’s obsession with “in case you missed it”. It’s extra awesome when trying to catch up on tweets from a just finished game. Then old tweets get dropped into the middle. Twitter can suck it.

There’s actually a way to disable them. If you’re interested (or others) I can post here or in OT

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Here's a good, Sam Reinhart seems ready to play. I'm sure there will be posters that will look at his lack of goal scoring as the counter, but there's no denying he was engaged, and being effective making smart plays and playing more physical than we have seen last night. He's taking the Bridge and he's going to make Botts pay in more ways than one.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

This team needs identity, a structure to buy into. Sutter brings that.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
This team needs identity, a structure to buy into. Sutter brings that.

And then Botterill would need to reverse a ton of player decisions. Sutter taking over after Bylsma would've worked with all the big bodies wingers like Kane, Foligno, and Carrier still around. Sutter's system needs great centers and a good puck moving D.

It's not a bad choice but Botterill would need to move away from Sheary and Skinner, and might need to move Reinhart to center.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I like what Brian Burke said about Calgary today on hockeycentral, it applies to us since Calgary also added played had expectations to be better and ost 5-2 (and they lost bad to Vancouver ...not a team that won a playoff series)

Jeff marek: “So are we going to see a different Calgary team Saturday night?” (Against Vancouver)

Brian Burke: “MY GOD, it’s been one game! I love hearing fans after one night, all there pickups haven’t worked, the coach is awful, the GM should of signed someone different,” etc

It’s true.

Like I said before there were no reasons for a few things but Boston was embarrassed 7-0 and last I checked they took out the leafs and are a good team. When you travel with a team they can’t crack jokes until they start winning again at least that’s how it is i. junior and how I hear it is on some nhl teams. One night later they had a ideal opportunity to erase the bad taste.

You could argue we were humiliated for a whole year but they’re supposed to be ahead of us and they lost their first game worse then we lost ours.

I’ll be with the negative people if we lose Saturday.

I believe this team will be a lot better.

G- it was like ROR never left

B- Jack wasn't able to play against Bruins top lines. Sad to think Sabres may need players better than Jack just to shelter the franchise center.

U- fans started booing after the first period of the season opener. Same people cheered the tank cause the race for 9th wasn't good enough.

I'm trying to over react, but its the first game of the season. :D

At least ROR lost his love for the game, I mean his game 5-1. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rasmi

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
The more Housley talks the more convinced I am that his wife hasn't let him touch her in a decade. He is the definition of beta.
It ain't gonna get better when he's more famous for being Mr. Senator Housley than hockey.

I didn't mind Nelson's game. Beaulieu is... why is he here?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I like what Brian Burke said about Calgary today on hockeycentral, it applies to us since Calgary also added played had expectations to be better and ost 5-2 (and they lost bad to Vancouver ...not a team that won a playoff series)

Jeff marek: “So are we going to see a different Calgary team Saturday night?” (Against Vancouver)

Brian Burke: “MY GOD, it’s been one game! I love hearing fans after one night, all there pickups haven’t worked, the coach is awful, the GM should of signed someone different,” etc

It’s true.

Like I said before there were no reasons for a few things but Boston was embarrassed 7-0 and last I checked they took out the leafs and are a good team. When you travel with a team they can’t crack jokes until they start winning again at least that’s how it is i. junior and how I hear it is on some nhl teams. One night later they had a ideal opportunity to erase the bad taste.

You could argue we were humiliated for a whole year but they’re supposed to be ahead of us and they lost their first game worse then we lost ours.

I’ll be with the negative people if we lose Saturday.

I believe this team will be a lot better.

At least ROR lost his love for the game, I mean his game 5-1. ;)
OK I have to comment on this as a Whalers fan: Brian Burke is the guy who came to Hartford and do you know what the very first f***ing thing he did was? Get rid of Brass Bonanza for Gary Glitter and get rid of our beloved Puckie. Then he went out and got a collection of "grit" players like Nick Kypryos and Bryan Marchment who had the slight flaw that they totally sucked at hockey. The result was a team that did nothing but lose games and a few years later the team was dead. And just go ask the Vancouver, Toronto or Calgary fans what they think of him. Hell, he won a cup with the Ducks basically because he had the brother of one of the greatest players on his roster and those fans think he is an idiot. Better yet go ask Steve Moore. Brian Burke is one of the most stupid and ridiculous people in all of hockey and I give no value whatsoever to anything he says. He is exactly like Mike Milbury, that says it all.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
And then Botterill would need to reverse a ton of player decisions. Sutter taking over after Bylsma would've worked with all the big bodies wingers like Kane, Foligno, and Carrier still around. Sutter's system needs great centers and a good puck moving D.

It's not a bad choice but Botterill would need to move away from Sheary and Skinner, and might need to move Reinhart to center.
I'm certain Sutter is a good enough coach to adapt to his personnel somewhat.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'm certain Sutter is a good enough coach to adapt to his personnel somewhat.
Part of the problem with Sutter is that he's a relative dinosaur in terms of scheming for shot quality, and I'm not sure he's ever going to be willing to move away from outshooting opponents from anywhere.

That being said, I think the objective with whoever replaces Phil is not getting it wrong, more than getting the guy most likely to win the Cup in the next 4 years.

Watching Trotz go the distance last season has me rethinking my stance on high floor coaches. I'd rather take the winzzz now and pray he stumbles into either some lucky adjustments or an undeniable talent mix, and cut the cord when he's blowing playoff series and losing the room.

All of Sutter, Q and AV fit that bill.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
OK I have to comment on this as a Whalers fan: Brian Burke is the guy who came to Hartford and do you know what the very first ****ing thing he did was? Get rid of Brass Bonanza for Gary Glitter and get rid of our beloved Puckie. Then he went out and got a collection of "grit" players like Nick Kypryos and Bryan Marchment who had the slight flaw that they totally sucked at hockey. The result was a team that did nothing but lose games and a few years later the team was dead. And just go ask the Vancouver, Toronto or Calgary fans what they think of him. Hell, he won a cup with the Ducks basically because he had the brother of one of the greatest players on his roster and those fans think he is an idiot. Better yet go ask Steve Moore. Brian Burke is one of the most stupid and ridiculous people in all of hockey and I give no value whatsoever to anything he says. He is exactly like Mike Milbury, that says it all.

Ok fair enough, haha...I just thought the comparison may be good, look at San Jose they lost their first game by three too and that wS to a team people wrote off...(well me lost by four cause of empty net) and these are to teams not being picked as high to finish as well as Boston.

Sharks and flames both added a ton and both fan bases were panicking like people on here. Well I see more anger then panic.

Regardless I’m giving them the Saturday game before I even make an assessment which would still be too early, but with everything that’s happened that’s gotta be a win. Or at the very least an overtime or shootout loss where we out play the rangers 2;1.

Tage2Tuch

May 10, 2004
CAN
I don't like the GBU construct. Here are my thoughts.

Beaulieu and Nelson need to go. They were lost in the back end. McCabe needs to be on the third pairing ideally. Pilut will be up soon.

The breakout is terrible. At least under Disco Dan, there seemed to be a plan. It's terrible now. I don't know what the defensemen are being coached to do, because they all to the same thing: go up the boards. The center ice for the breakout is wide open and they don't even look.

1st line looked dangerous at times. ERod line looked good. Liked how 17 played chippy. Mittelstadt's line was ok. Okposo is still creating a ton of turnovers.

Dahlin had a solid game. He kept it simple and broke in by playing physical, the same way he did in the SHL when he was 16. Served notice that he won't get pushed around.

Eichel was back-checking and stalking in the d zone well. I liked that he was engaged. His line changes were even better.

Reinhart was good. Skinner was good but you can see why Canes fans were frustrated. Too much fancy, too many times bailing on the D zone.

Team overall tried too many fancy things. Keep it simple.

The team needs a power forward to go to the net badly.

Hutton was solid. Of the three goals, none were bad. Chara's shot was perfect. The other two were not his fault.

Game 1 looked bad. Hopeful though.

Yeah I respect the GBU because it’s been around maybe as long as I have on here but I’ve never liked the idea of one positive title and two negative titles.

This is sports it’s supposed to be an escape, not that we should be positive about crap but there is a lot of positives going on right now even if it’s not clear to see.

No one is going to give up after the first game of the year. Guys will be ready next game.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah I respect the GBU because it’s been around maybe as long as I have on here but I’ve never liked the idea of one positive title and two negative titles.

This is sports it’s supposed to be an escape, not that we should be positive about crap but there is a lot of positives going on right now even if it’s not clear to see.

No one is going to give up after the first game of the year. Guys will be ready next game.

Two points on the format: it doesn’t have to be something that anybody finds that’s in any category. Winning does tend to be heavy on the good, maybe a little bit of bad, maybe something ugly. For years there was just the default Rob Brindamour post. I think people have taken it to mean that they have to find something that’s fills one of those categories.

Last edited:

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Didn’t think it was lifeless and not upset the fans are upset. I’m upset and I married a Penguins fan! Just saying that players shouldn’t care and need to buy into that locker room and that they hold each other to the standard and them vs the world to get this team back on track. Housley should almost be irrelevant.
She wasn’t the one at the Sabres Bruins game inexplicably wearing a Sidney Crosby Jersey was she?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
^^^ this! As sloppy as the Sabres played, Halak is the only reason that there was a goose egg on the scoreboard.
Halak didn't rob is. He was good, sure, but the Sabres, for all the shots they attempted, were not dangerous. Way too many shots from far out without traffic in front.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Halak didn't rob is. He was good, sure, but the Sabres, for all the shots they attempted, were not dangerous. Way too many shots from far out without traffic in front.
Other than Rodrigues and Pominville missing goals by an inch we had next to nothing else resembling a scoring chance.

Reactions: sabrebuild

Member 308457

They should re-name the team to the Buffalo But-not-Outs. Ever since I can remember they can't get it out of their own end.

Reactions: OkimLom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad