OT - NO POLITICS Ground Hogs, Valentines & President Day Sales - February

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
We used to play 45s at Wang Labs (my work years ago) at lunch.

I don't remember exactly the game as it has been years 5- Jack -ace of hearts???

Yup!!

5, Jack, Ace of Hearts, Ace in Suit, King, Queen

Low in black

High in red

Reactions: Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
1. No. I don't believe in that stuff and have never had the need to try it. When my wife was pregnant with our 3rd son, he was breech and wouldn't turn. She tried acupuncture to try to get him to turn but that didn't work either.

2. I love games of all types. Cards, board games, dice, you name it. Loved RISK as a child and played a lot of Cribbage and Pinochle with my parents. Also loved playing Chess with my dad.

3. I don't have any ghost stories, so I can't really say that I believe in that stuff. If something happens to make me change my mind, then I will. I have seen a few strange flying objects however. That was pretty cool.

Lots of pilots talk about seeing unexplained objects whilst flying. I'm not really into the whole UFOs thing, but it's a common enough experience that there must be at least something to it. What sorts of things did you see in your time?

Reactions: BMC

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I am undefeated in the original version. :cool:

So am I. People stopped playing with me because "It's not fun." I do admit to reading the cards in my spare time and remembering the answers.

• Love
Reactions: BMC

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Three for Tuesday:

1. Have you ever tried alternative therapies for physical reasons or anxiety relief? For example, acupuncture, Q-Ray bracelet, meditation, crystals, etc. Please share any success stories!

2. Do you play board, card or dice games? What is your favourite game to play? What was your favourite game as a child that you pestered your parents or siblings to play with you? Are you a champion at any of the games?

3. I love stories about the unexplained and weird experiences people have had happen to them. Do you have any to share and do you believe in ghosts, etc.?
1. No
2.Pinochle....I'm real good

3. not spirit related but....

Family vacation in Vermont. Wife had a tennis match and dinner back in NY. Decided she would take Shelby and Sam would stay with me.

I found a place about 50 miles away that was a raptor center. I told no one where the boys were going. We left around 9, took the scenic back roads. Got to the small town a few hours later, Sam had to use restroom....we went into a grocery store. Decided to find a place to eat lunch before carrying on. We were seated in the back room.

Meanwhile Mom and Shelby, headed out an hour later heading to NY on the highway. They decided they needed a potty break so got off the highway. Then they decided to get lunch.

Well after Sam and I sat there waiting for our drinks, guess who the waitress brought in to sit down....

They had no idea what town or even what direction we went. And yet here they happened to get off the same exit in the town we were, happened to pick the same diner, and arrived 5 minutes after us....

They could have picked anywhere in Vermont.....but here we all were.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I have two blankets and three pillows on my bed....guess who is sleeping on both blankets and two pillows....
IMG_20240220_203108674.jpg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Thanks. I didn't really know her. I knew her Mom a bit.

It was never said to me, but I am pretty sure she was so upset about losing her friends and still being alive (she had smoke damage to her lungs) that she committed suicide.

That who thing was so awful.

Yes. But, I believe it ended, or at least modified, the practice of "festival seating."

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Speaking of card games….

Anyone play 45’s

It‘s a game that is predominantly played in Northeastern MA and Southern NH.

The Merrimack Valley to be even more specific.

I’ve also heard it might be played in parts of Canada, near Montreal I think.

OMG, I have not thought about 45 in decades.

ANYTIME my Dad's side of the family got together a 45 game would happen. It certainly was popular with the Newton Irish in Silver Lake.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Three for Tuesday:

1. Have you ever tried alternative therapies for physical reasons or anxiety relief? For example, acupuncture, Q-Ray bracelet, meditation, crystals, etc. Please share any success stories!

1. Meditation. Acupuncture just once.

2. Do you play board, card or dice games? What is your favourite game to play? What was your favourite game as a child that you pestered your parents or siblings to play with you? Are you a champion at any of the games?

2. Can't chime in here as I have never been one for cards, board games, etc. Zero interest.

3. I love stories about the unexplained and weird experiences people have had happen to them. Do you have any to share and do you believe in ghosts, etc.?

3. No ghost stories, though fascinated with metaphysics, quantum physics, what were once called UFO's, and "the paranormal." I have had lucid dreams (dreams where you know you're dreaming) and, possibly, OBE's (out of body experiences).

I wrote the attached almost thirty years ago. Some bits have changed. (Notably, the veracity, or lack thereof, per accounts from Kimberly Clarke Sharp and Danion Brinkley.)

The rest more or less stands.

Should time and interest permit,

• Love
Reactions: caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
1. Meditation. Acupuncture just once.

2. Can't chime in here as I have never been one for cards, board games, etc. Zero interest.

3. No ghost stories, though fascinated with metaphysics, quantum physics, what were once called UFO's, and "the paranormal." I have had lucid dreams (dreams where you know you're dreaming) and, possibly, OBE's (out of body experiences).

I wrote the attached almost thirty years ago. Some bits have changed. (Notably, the veracity, or lack thereof, per accounts from Kimberly Clarke Sharp and Danion Brinkley.)

The rest more or less stands.

Should time and interest permit,

Thank you - I am going to read your document later on. I am intrigued since I am very interested in the subject matter. I might have questions.

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad