Gritty 3rd liners vs soft Top6ers

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
So roughly Finland(emphasis on roughly) vs Russia in sochi 2014.

Finland won.

But i'd say, whoever plays better as a team will win. I'd presume it's the grittier 3rd liners tho.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Top 6 and not really close. If you truly believe gritty depth players well you'd probably buy a book written by Don Cherry and roenick

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
You could make an argument for either team being better.

Both teams have flaws that hold them back pretty substantially if their weaknesses are exploited.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Top 6 and not really close. If you truly believe gritty depth players well you'd probably buy a book written by Don Cherry and roenick

Yep and then you'd buy a team and trade all your soft top 6 players and replace them with 25-30 point 3rd liners and wonder why you can't score goals.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
If we're talking just one game, then the argument could easily be made for the gritty team. Plenty of 3rd liners can score enough to win any given game, and be gritty enough to play tough against a soft top 6 and throw them off their game.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
There is no way anyone could know because all players are individuals. If these soft top sixers are so soft that they are afraid to go after the puck then they would never get the puck once the gritty 3rd liners had it and if the gritty 3rd liners can't shoot the puck into the ocean from the deck of a boat they aren't going to score.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Skill players will win 9 times out of 10.

If the "gritty" 3rd liners actually had more skill, they wouldn't be relegated to the 3rd line. They'd be top 6.

We only talk about players "grit" and "sandpaper" and "compete" when they lack skill. It's a euphemism for players who have to play physical as a way to compensate for their lack of skill.

Sometimes you have players who play a physical game AND have skill. We don't call those players gritty because we don't need the euphemism. We call them "power forwards."

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Imagine there are two teams. One is full of tough and gritty 3rd liners and the other is full of soft and delicate top6ers. Defense and goaltending is the same. Which of these two teams would win?

It depends what "soft" means in this case. If it means players who are not physical but can take physical abuse (= strong physical play), the top 6ers win. But if "soft" means that they get thrown off their game easily by physical hockey, then the gritty 3rd liners win.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Imagine there are two teams. One is full of tough and gritty 3rd liners and the other is full of soft and delicate top6ers. Defense and goaltending is the same. Which of these two teams would win?

Show me a scoreboard that records grit or a goal that was scored from a hit.
Would you take Backes (45pts) or Kessel (59pts)?

Goal differential rules hockey and players who excel at it also rule hockey. As a coach, it is significantly easier to get "soff", highly skilled players to commit to defense than it is to turn gritty players into goal scorers. You just can't teach puck skill as quickly as defensive structure and body positioning technique.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad