Grind & lose. Therrien-Puck is back. Habs lose 2-1 OT.

cap10bfl

Apr 18, 2007
Laval, Qc
I hate Therrien too, but this post is pretty dumb.

We were the team icing two forwards and one defenseman in OT, while Detroit went with the more conservative 1 forward, 2 defenseman.

Detroit was also playing with 2 forwards and a defenseman...

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I just simply can't get into Habs games any longer and this year it's more evident then ever, I see myself constantly changing inputs and browsing on my phone during games or even falling asleep. I'm not guilt tripping when I miss games lately, in previous years I'd whine all night if I was not watching a game but now seems like it doesn't bother me...at all.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, hopefully management starts realizing what kind of a crappy product they have and point the finger at our idiot of a coach,

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
What the hell is wrong with Emelin?

Tatar makes him look like a fool, he likes to casually throw pucks away in the defensive zone on his backhand, and he doesn't hit anymore.

What a mistake extension that was. If you sign an injured player to a four year extension, you should get a bigger discount than Bergevin got.

habitue*

Tatar makes him look like a fool, he likes to casually throw pucks away in the defensive zone on his backhand, and he doesn't hit anymore.

What a mistake extension that was. If you sign an injured player to a four year extension, you should get a bigger discount than Bergevin got.

Another bad timing - over evaluated - contract given by MB.

As much as Gainey or Gauthier were too slow to give new contracts, as much is MB rushing to sign players withquestion marks.

If Emelin is homesick and would want to playin Russia, I would allow him to do so and save precious money for others.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Not to excuse his play because he hasn't been very good but the bolded is the result of having him play the right side. When your on your off-wing and go into the corners you are forced to use your backhand to try to clear the zone because you don't have time to move it to your forehand.

FisherKing

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
This pretty average team is currently the second worst 5 on 5 team production wise in the NHL right now after the Sabres. Great goaltending and decent special teams are making us look better than we are - we are the new Leafs, except more extreme.

Last year we were a well above average 5 on 5 team...even if that wasn't sustainable, we have gone completely in the opposite direction. And worse of all, it's hurting our most important skaters, including our best skater, Subban, who is playing the worst hockey he has played since his rookie year.

Even if the ceiling of this team is average, Therrien is failing to reach that, only to be bailed out by the goalies and by luck.

The Habs are exhibiting all the trade marks/characteristics of a poorly coached team imho. Players are tentative, uncertain or confused, don't seem to have any clear idea of what they are doing or supposed to be doing, missing assignments or simply aren't aware of them, no real system being exhibited (that I can see), key core players (of the future) are stagnating or regressing as a result of misuse. The overall play of the players can only be described as "uninspired" at best.

At this stage, I don't blame Therrien. At this point the blame has to switch to Bergevin. If he can't see what's going on here and feels the Habs' position in the standing is indicative of good coaching and satisfactory play by the the team as a whole, then I'm terribly afraid Molson may have picked the wrong man for the job. That said, I don't think Bergevin is that blind, although I could be wrong.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not to excuse his play because he hasn't been very good but the bolded is the result of having him play the right side. When your on your off-wing and go into the corners you are forced to use your backhand to try to clear the zone because you don't have time to move it to your forehand.

Even so, he should know to backhand along the glass/boards and not up the middle like he did.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
This team is an utter joke offensively, its laughable. I've never seen a team try to protect a 0-1 loss quite like MT's team.

Please get this clown out of here. Please please please please

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Watching Detroit's structure last night made me sad. The way they break out of their zone is amazing.

Then I get to watch the Canadiens....no structure, just pure chaos on the transition.

My personal favorite...losing 1-0, but playing like you're trying to defend a lead.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Watching Detroit's structure last night made me sad. The way they break out of their zone is amazing.

Then I get to watch the Canadiens....no structure, just pure chaos on the transition.

My personal favorite...losing 1-0, but playing like you're trying to defend a lead.

To be fair, their gameplan for 20 mins of each game is "give the puck to Datsyuk, he'll just bring it in himself".

It looks a lot easier when you have a player of his calibre, which the Habs do not.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
What a depressing game...After watching almost perfect, technically sound hockey for most of the Olympics, I tune in to see a bunch of bumpkin idiots bumping into each other and falling down and throwing pucks to nowhere.

The team is so horribly disorganized, nobody has any confidence at all and nobody is playing up to their potential. That's the scariest part, literally nobody is performing at their top level performance. Not even close.

I think my favorite part of the game was when the Wings where just toying with the Habs, playing keep away with the puck in the 3rd. I remember the RDS guys going "well, the Wings certainly live up to their reputation of being a puck possession team" and I'm pretty sure I heard the crowd laughing.

And MT, standing there all smug. All proud. With his chest all puffed out, man boobs on display for all to see. He thinks he's doing a good job.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
To be fair, their gameplan for 20 mins of each game is "give the puck to Datsyuk, he'll just bring it in himself".

It looks a lot easier when you have a player of his calibre, which the Habs do not.

They also don't get rid of the puck unless they absolutely need to. Even on their line changes, they often resort to cycling it back into their zone instead of dumping it in and giving possession away.
Meanwhile, we try to bank it off the boards at every possible opportunity, in every zone.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

He played like he has always played. Contrary to what Habs fans say, Emelin is not that good and I pointed this out long ago before the extension and after. His positioning sucks. Not much of an offensive game. He's OK. Can get better, but he got one hell of a contract for some asinine reason.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

I think that's over simplifying it and taking away credit where credit is due. All night Nyquist, Tatar, Alfredsson and Franzen were skating through the neutral zone like it was nobodies business. The Habs could not counter Detroits transition game, it was just too quick, leaving a big gap between the habs forwards and D men. The D-men and forwards have a synergy in the Red-Wings...the puck moves and moves quickly.

I also love the way Detroit just doesn't concede possession when they can't break through the neutral zone by skating or off a line change.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He played like he has always played. Contrary to what Habs fans say, Emelin is not that good and I pointed this out long ago before the extension and after. His positioning sucks. Not much of an offensive game. He's OK. Can get better, but he got one hell of a contract for some asinine reason.

The contract made absolutely no sense. I mean, we didn't even sign Markov to 4 years when he was injured and apparently recovering nicely. Made no sense at all.
A player with just about 100 games of experience, who's had his share of struggles in adapting, is rather mediocre, and hadn't played in 8 months. Made no freaking sense.
But we'll sit out the Norris potential guy so we can give him 2M+ for 2years..
Bergevin is running this team upside down.
However, Emelin is being wasted on his off wing. He's clearly better on his natural side.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The contract made absolutely no sense. I mean, we didn't even sign Markov to 4 years when he was injured and apparently recovering nicely. Made no sense at all.
A player with just about 100 games of experience, who's had his share of struggles in adapting, is rather mediocre, and hadn't played in 8 months. Made no freaking sense.
However, Emelin is being wasted on his off wing. He's clearly better on his natural side.

It was a power move by Bergy. Another failure. :help:

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

It was a power move by Bergy. Another failure. :help:

I can't believe how MB completly forgot how bad Emelin was playing at the end of the last season before his injury. If he makes another **** move... this team will officialy be going in the wrong direction... Mostly because of those questionnables and unnecessary extensions.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
Get a point to mask problems. That's habs strategy.

Just hope MB is bright enough to realise that it's time to trade Markov. We suck and won't make or go far in playoff. With or without markov.

I agree...this team IF they do get in the playoffs will not be able to make any noise outside of maybe Price stealing a series. I love Markov but I think its reasonable to try and get some young talent on this team that is over 6 feet tall and at least 190lbs.
also getting 20 shots or less vs. a bubble team that is chasing you in the standings is terrible. such disappointing hockey to watch after the Olympics.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Even so, he should know to backhand along the glass/boards and not up the middle like he did.

As I said he's not playing well and is making bad decisions. But he's put in a situation that amplify his weaknesses.

Well Subban is pretty good at bringing the puck up the ice and gaining the zone. I don't think it's just a case of their star is better than our star. Even when Datsyuk isn't on the ice their breakouts are better.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It wouldn't surprise me if after the next 9 games the Habs are on the outside looking in for a playoff spot. Tough schedule coming up.

MathMan

Jan 20, 2006

Suspect a lot of it is because he's not comfortable on the right side. The backhands, especially, are due to playing the off-side, and the timing on his hits is different.

The knee might still need to recover, but ultimately, he's playing out of position. The Habs don't have enough RD (more so now after trading one away) and that has to be their biggest personnel need ATM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad