Prospect Info: Grigori Denisenko (2018, #15 overall), Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL), signed ELC 5/5/20

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I'm just happy to see something positive about him.
Well he is playing in the KHL and he's currently the fourth youngest player in that league. There are only 37 U20 skaters who have played at least a game there this year and he ranks 6th amongst them in points and is essentially tied for 2nd in .ppg pace, crap sample size as it is. Or put another way - Kucherov only played 18 KHL games in his draft+1 season and had 5 points (he was fantastic in the MHL though). Point is it's hard to judge a kid who's playing very meh minutes in a high-end pro league.

Watching him dominate against similar-aged competition helps to sooth some of my doubts about him.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Corey Pronman from The Athletic just reported his thoughts from the U-20 4 Nations tournament. Guy does a very thorough job on prospects and I really like his work.

Lots of positive things to say about Denisenko.

"I was a big fan of Denisenko last season. I rated him very high going into the draft even though he didn't have great numbers in junior. After seeing him in this tournament, I might have marginally underrated him. Denisenko looked fantastic and was the best player on the ice at even strength on a line with high-end Rangers prospect Vitali Kravtsov. Denisenko is so skilled and smart, but what really impressed me was his pace and elusiveness. He was skating so well and creating space with his feet. For my money, he was the best player at the 4 Nations."

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Corey Pronman from The Athletic just reported his thoughts from the U-20 4 Nations tournament. Guy does a very thorough job on prospects and I really like his work.

Lots of positive things to say about Denisenko.

"I was a big fan of Denisenko last season. I rated him very high going into the draft even though he didn't have great numbers in junior. After seeing him in this tournament, I might have marginally underrated him. Denisenko looked fantastic and was the best player on the ice at even strength on a line with high-end Rangers prospect Vitali Kravtsov. Denisenko is so skilled and smart, but what really impressed me was his pace and elusiveness. He was skating so well and creating space with his feet. For my money, he was the best player at the 4 Nations."

Comparable would be a Nylander type of player no?
Has speed, shiftiness/elusiveness with great playmaking skills and a decent shot while skating circles around guys in the O-zone. Not a defensive stud.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Comparable would be a Nylander type of player no?
Has speed, shiftiness/elusiveness with great playmaking skills and a decent shot while skating circles around guys in the O-zone. Not a defensive stud.
Pre-draft, Button compared him to Kucherov; others compared him to (EDIT) William Nylander and Panarin.
Pronman called him possibly the most talented Russian in the draft, including Svechnikov.

Last edited:

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
His skating/speed/agility/elusiveness along with being able to handle the puck really well while in motion is his strong suit. Being a great skater is always one of the top areas you hope a player has and it always them so much more freedom in their game. To handle the puck in motion like that, with his skill and knowledge of what to do and where to go, I really like him.

Reactions: Rahooji

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
anyone know the contract status for denisenko in russia? thought i heard he had 1 more year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad