Prospect Info: Grigori Denisenko (2018, #15 overall), Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (KHL), signed ELC 5/5/20

PBPantherfan

Feb 7, 2010
Lake Worth, FL
Competitiveness maybe, but physicality? Are we talking about the same guy?

Swore when we drafted him they said he was physical for his size and wasn’t afraid to hit people. Could be I’m going senile too. I don’t think he will be a Simmons type but anybody in the top six that hits anybody would be an improvement.

Reactions: harv33173

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Swore when we drafted him they said he was physical for his size and wasn’t afraid to hit people. Could be I’m going senile too. I don’t think he will be a Simmons type but anybody in the top six that hits anybody would be an improvement.
He is very gritty and physical for his size. If he gets the chance he will lay a monster hit.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
He has the fire. The emotion he showed in the world juniors is needed here.
The emotion is definitely there, but IMO anyone expecting physicality from Denisenko will be disappointed at least until he fills out. The few games I watched of him in the KHL, "physical" was the last thing I'd call him.

He had 7 hits in 6 playoff games but only 14 hits in 38 regular season games. Now I love how his intensity increases when "it matters" (world juniors, playoffs), but calling him physical is premature at best. Plus there's the question where has it been in regular season?

I mean, Denis Malgin had 26 hits in 36 NHL games this year. Is Malgin a physical guy?

Last edited:
Reactions: jvr32

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
I’m stoked!

I think Denisenko is gonna be a player. Not like Borgstrom who’s fizzled out big time.

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I watched a lot of the world juniors this past winter. He was the captain of Team Russia.

Interesting, he played the right point for Team Russia, Hoffman's spot on the Panthers.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Or Hoffman if they keep Dadonov.

If he and Tippett both make it, which I think could very well may happen, we may see him with Barkov and Dadonov (if they actually did go all in on a D and trade Huberdeau). Russian line (Barkov’s lineage). I know he a rookie but he’s at least been playing pro hockey in Russia. Playing alongside barkov, and two guys who can speak Russian, would be good for a skilled guy like him who plays with an edge.

tippett with Connolly. And vatrano with Acciari. Then it’s a matter of figuring out the 2nd line center situation assuming Borgstrom gets a shot at 3rd line center (wallmark on the 4th). Haula is one of the very few possibilities for that role. Free agency is bleak this year. Could trade for a middle-6 Center may not be a bonafide 2nd liner but who can play it and be serviceable. Not sure whos our there though right now. And if we’re keeping both denisenko and Tippett then really we just have this next draft pick(s) to use as assets. I could see tallon going after anisimov. Loves his former hawks, he’s a veteran and scored at a very nice pace this year (assists were surprisingly low though, but if you’re playing with Connolly and a shooter like Tippett, he’ll pick up some). Not a sexy pickup, but I could see it.

if they retain huberdeau and explore ufa for D or other trade options, then it could look something like this:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Denisenko-???-Tippett
Vatrano-Acciari-Connolly

god I would love to add Eric staal to play with the rookies there

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
If the season resumes, I'm curious if we send him to the AHL or keep him up to practice. I think the cap hit means that we will be sending him to the AHL?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Or Hoffman if they keep Dadonov.

If he and Tippett both make it, which I think could very well may happen, we may see him with Barkov and Dadonov (if they actually did go all in on a D and trade Huberdeau). Russian line (Barkov’s lineage). I know he a rookie but he’s at least been playing pro hockey in Russia. Playing alongside barkov, and two guys who can speak Russian, would be good for a skilled guy like him who plays with an edge.

tippett with Connolly. And vatrano with Acciari. Then it’s a matter of figuring out the 2nd line center situation assuming Borgstrom gets a shot at 3rd line center (wallmark on the 4th). Haula is one of the very few possibilities for that role. Free agency is bleak this year. Could trade for a middle-6 Center may not be a bonafide 2nd liner but who can play it and be serviceable. Not sure whos our there though right now. And if we’re keeping both denisenko and Tippett then really we just have this next draft pick(s) to use as assets. I could see tallon going after anisimov. Loves his former hawks, he’s a veteran and scored at a very nice pace this year (assists were surprisingly low though, but if you’re playing with Connolly and a shooter like Tippett, he’ll pick up some). Not a sexy pickup, but I could see it.

if they retain huberdeau and explore ufa for D or other trade options, then it could look something like this:

Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Denisenko-???-Tippett
Vatrano-Acciari-Connolly

god I would love to add Eric staal to play with the rookies there

Great point about putting Denisenko with at least one of Barkov or Dadonov because of the language barrier, not sure if his English has improved at all?
Ultimately I think Tippett would make it over Denisenko who may need a half a cup of coffee in the AHL with top 6 minutes but ya never know, kid has the talent to make it out of camp.

I do prefer Hoffman over Dadonov if I had to pick one though.

I'd be a little leary of putting two rookies together though in your mock lineup above.
Ya I was hoping Tallon could have made up a package including Trocheck for Brodin and Staal.

Good thing about Haula is he can't command a long term deal with his injury history of recent past.

Speaking of past Hawks for Q, think a retained Saad could be picked up if we don't re-sign Dadonov for whatever reason. He's a UFA but will need to work his ass off for a new deal and would be a great 2 way guy in the top 9

I'd hate to move Huberdeau but if he can land you a top 3 D and a young prospect/tweener forward with some upside then you at least consider it.

Going to be interesting to see what teams do this off-season as they prepare for the expansion draft, that will complicate things a lot in my opinion.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Great point about putting Denisenko with at least one of Barkov or Dadonov because of the language barrier, not sure if his English has improved at all?
Ultimately I think Tippett would make it over Denisenko who may need a half a cup of coffee in the AHL with top 6 minutes but ya never know, kid has the talent to make it out of camp.

I do prefer Hoffman over Dadonov if I had to pick one though.

I'd be a little leary of putting two rookies together though in your mock lineup above.
Ya I was hoping Tallon could have made up a package including Trocheck for Brodin and Staal.

Good thing about Haula is he can't command a long term deal with his injury history of recent past.

Speaking of past Hawks for Q, think a retained Saad could be picked up if we don't re-sign Dadonov for whatever reason. He's a UFA but will need to work his ass off for a new deal and would be a great 2 way guy in the top 9

I'd hate to move Huberdeau but if he can land you a top 3 D and a young prospect/tweener forward with some upside then you at least consider it.

Going to be interesting to see what teams do this off-season as they prepare for the expansion draft, that will complicate things a lot in my opinion.
Yeah I wouldn’t necessarily want two rookies playing with each other either, that’s more of a depth chart type view. I’m sure Connolly would be on the 2nd and one of the rookies on the 3rd.

saad would be a good pick up but we may be a little heavy on wingers. I kinda prefer Acciari at wing, but if Denisenko and Tippett both make it that’d push him to center. I think the money that saad would be making would be best used to address the center position, but who’s available and how to acquire them is the trickier part. If we lose both Hoffman an Dadonov then I could see it as more of a possibility.

I’d hate to lose huberdeau, but if we remove matheson and Yandle, and add a legit top-2 or top-3 youngish defender to Ekblad and Weegar, our top-4 becomes incredibly better. Add in a ufa pickup to round it out and let stillman and stralman anchor the 3rd pairing. Especially with the young wingers we have coming in, it may be a net positive. It’ll be interesting to see what happens.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

Bag Of Beans

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Hopefully he is more like kucherov and less like yakupov.
I worked the year driving Zamboni for the Sarnia Sting when they had Yakapov & Galchenyuk. Yakapov was more of a perimeter player. He didn't really get involved physically.

Actually, if you asked me at the time, I would have told you Galchenyuk was better than Yakupov Imo. Galchenyuk dad trained both privately. He was an animal. I don't understand Russian, but he was constantly screaming, doing major drills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad