Griffins' Pulkkinen has little left to prove at the AHL level

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I recall a few of you saying, two seasons ago, that he was a passer rather than a scorer, wasn't worth particularly much---someone suggested that he could be had by another team for a 4th-round pick---and would not succeed in the North American game.

Woo.

I still think he is an underrated passer. His transition to NA seems to have brought out a guy that looks for his shot as often as possible. Two seasons ago during the lockout he was worth fourth round pick maybe a third at best...

His skating has come a long way and he shortened his shot and actually in my opinion is a better fit for NA hockey. Pulkkinen himself says it in the article that he thinks his game is more ideally suited to NA because it all happens quicker.

I really like the adjustments he has made in his game. He didn't fire the amount of shots he does now in Finland though, he was deferring a lot over there, if you never watched him over there, just look at his stats it confirms that portion, but it was noticeable when watching him play. Yes he still uncorked his massive slap shot from time to time, but it wasn't his first thought in the zone often outside of the PP.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
...would do everything but telegraph his shots.
Hull appeared then disappeared, and so on til he hot open. That is something Pulkkinen can learn.
Brett Hull had the ability to get himself open in the offensive zone, perhaps the best I've ever seen. Whilst people were mucking in the corner, at just the right moment he'd angle his skates, move a foot one way or another, be open at just the right time and BAM, pucks in the net. Pulkinnen has yet to learn how to create the time and space at the NHL level to use his shot. Or perhaps more accurately, to learn how to get his shot off in the split second he will get in the NHL.

That's not to say he won't learn, but he's not there yet.

Hull scored around 700. Pulkkinen might reach 200, best case 300.
The difference is extremely huge.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Two more goals for Teemu tonight. One on a very fluky turnover, the other a shot from distance that Ellis would probably like back. Still, it is nice to see his adjustment, was kind of pass happy tonight for the first two periods aside from the breakaway that fell on his stick. Came out in the third and is firing from everywhere.

Satrebil

Aug 3, 2006
Michigan
Hull appeared then disappeared, and so on til he hot open. That is something Pulkkinen can learn.

Hull scored around 700. Pulkkinen might reach 200, best case 300.
The difference is extremely huge.

I don't think anyone believes that Pulkkinen will approach Hull's goal totals. Just the shot similarity.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The negative Pulu talk here is stupendous.

People seriously should see him play before posting,
you know more than once or twice.

Pulu is more complete player than many here thinks,
yes its AHL and not NHL and its so much more difficult
to be what he is in the AHL that he'd be in NHL but only
complete noob can't see that one day he will do it in the NHL too.

The moment he gets to play 15-20 minutes per game
regularly in the NHL (with grad A Center), you gonna see results,
you gonna see 5-10 shots,lots of play-making,
puck steeling,checking,back checking,
tremendous work ethic.

---

So much praise for Hull,yet i think many has forgotten
how Brett's career got started,he had a rocky start
and was this close that it was going to end
before it really even begun.

With a luck of straw he was traded to St.Louis from Calgary
and got "paired" with Adam Oates and well...
the rest is/was history.

---

Pulkkinen is only 23,and his total numbers in his career
are sick, pro career so far 130 G 171 A, junior career 250 G 238 A
sum that; 380 G 409 A. He has scored tons of goals and points
where ever he has played and will do so in the future in the NHL.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Yea, the game has evolved. Goalies are bigger with bigger equipment and are much better. Looking at old videos is pretty funny sometime seeing goalies equipment and their technique.

Defensemen are also much better skaters. There were a lot defensemen in the league in the 80's that had issues skating backwards. I don't have to mention the development of the defensive tactics, it's easier to focus on taking one player out of the game these days, especially in the NHL rink.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I recall a few of you saying, two seasons ago, that he was a passer rather than a scorer, wasn't worth particularly much---someone suggested that he could be had by another team for a 4th-round pick---and would not succeed in the North American game.

Woo.

4th round picks with no NA experience coming off a sizeable injury are not worth much more than a 4th.

Also, people say a lot of things about prospects early on in their careers that often change. It's a huge development period. I can't stand when people chide others for these comments. It's one thing to say a kid will "never make it" but it's a whole different kettle of fish to say something about their style of play that changes over the course of 2 years.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
4th round picks with no NA experience coming off a sizeable injury are not worth much more than a 4th.

Also, people say a lot of things about prospects early on in their careers that often change. It's a huge development period. I can't stand when people chide others for these comments. It's one thing to say a kid will "never make it" but it's a whole different kettle of fish to say something about their style of play that changes over the course of 2 years.

Pulu always had the talent, what won me over so early (been using the Pulu avatar for 4 years now) is his attitude. A lot of people, especially after an injury and falling 100 spots in a draft will either give up, or will become thick headed. He always was the type to listen to his coaches and want to improve his game anyway he could. So for him it was only a question if he would ever recover from the injury. The Wings gambled, and this may be one of the biggest steals for the Wings in the last decade.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
I think some people are against him simply because they don't want to eat crow about it.

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
So what really counts is the goals he made without using his slap shot, since that won't ever work in NHL. Anyone care to do the numbers? :sarcasm:

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
So what really counts is the goals he made without using his slap shot, since that won't ever work in NHL. Anyone care to do the numbers? :sarcasm:

Seems like a waste of time since Pulkkinen has only one NHL goal. Yeah...he got it with a slapper.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad