Griffins' Pulkkinen has little left to prove at the AHL level

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
teemu_pulkkinen_grand_rapids_122014_1.jpg
Photo: Grand Rapids Griffins forward and Detroit Red Wings prospect Teemu Pulkkinen is no stranger to the front of the net as he is currently the leading goal scorer in the AHL with 27 in 41 games (courtesy of Frank Jansky/Icon Sportswire)

It seems that the Detroit Red Wings have a penchant for drafting and developing forwards in the American Hockey League before seeing them excel on NHL ice. Those in the Motor City might not have to wait much longer to add another homegrown talent to their permanent NHL roster with the emergence of 2015 AHL All-Star forward, Teemu Pulkkinen.… read more

The post Griffins’ Pulkkinen has little left to prove at the AHL level appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

TimoneX

Jul 30, 2012
I can watch that holy slapper all day. :) Teemu even had the presence of mind to limit the wind up on that shot to ensure he got it off and it still had the velocity to beat the goalie.

Can't wait to see him on Detroit's roster full time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tough choices to be made next season on forward.. Even with no forwards brought on, Pulks probably gonna have to wait for an injury to get any ice...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Someone has to go. Joker is the obvious choice. (not counting Cleary because he's a scratch) Who gets the playing time with everyone healthy?

Z
D
Tatar
Weiss
Franzen
Nyquist
Helm
Sheahan
Glendening
Miller
Abby
Jurco
Pulks

Joker is a RFA i believe after this year and Cleary will be gone. We can't expect Franzen to be on the IR all year. Eventually I think he may take Miller's spot and have a 4th line of Jurco-Glendening-Pulks. Not sure how this will effect our PK though. Who takes Miller's spot on the PK in this situation?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
13 forwards without Andersson and without signing anyone at all. Very, very tight. I guess injuries will happen, but I'd rather they didn't. I wonder if there's any way for Pulks to steal a job from someone for a skater's spot. Weiss? Jurco? Miller? Franzen? I don't think there's any chance in hell it's anyone not of those 4.

PK could be Abby, Helm, Sheahan, Glendening. Franzen's PKed too, right? Weiss?

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
13 forwards without Andersson and without signing anyone at all. Very, very tight. I guess injuries will happen, but I'd rather they didn't. I wonder if there's any way for Pulks to steal a job from someone for a skater's spot. Weiss? Jurco? Miller? Franzen? I don't think there's any chance in hell it's anyone not of those 4.

PK could be Abby, Helm, Sheahan, Glendening. Franzen's PKed too, right? Weiss?

Honestly I think Franzen has played his last game as a Wing.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Pulkkinen is almost underrated around these parts. We were up in arms about getting Nyquist onto this roster, but that same drive isn't there for Teemu. Probably because we had more baggage on this team when Nyquist was lighting up the AHL?

Aug 6, 2012
Pulkkinen is almost underrated around these parts. We were up in arms about getting Nyquist onto this roster, but that same drive isn't there for Teemu. Probably because we had more baggage on this team when Nyquist was lighting up the AHL?

Because Nyquist was in the minors while we were a bubble team with Clearly on our first line.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
He is a one trick pony. Show me he has more then a telegraphed slapsot. While awesome useless if he can't hide it better and do other things.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

I think the biggest difference is we had a lot of dead weight on the roster that Nyquist couldn't crack. Cleary, Sammy, Bertuzzi. Currently I don't think there's anyone that fans are really excited to push out of town. I guess Andersson is the closest to that, but he has his uses and replacing a 4th line PKer with someone who's supposed to be primarily an offensive weapon is not really trivial.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

That's exactly why.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Because Nyquist was older? Because Nyquist had an impressive NHL playoff stint under his belt? Because Nyquist was being supplanted by the likes of Samuelsson and Bertuzzi? Because Nyquist had been playing NA hockey for eons?

I don't know why people keep trying to make this a thing. Pulkkinen is not in the same position that Nyquist was in.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
He is a one trick pony. Show me he has more then a telegraphed slapsot. While awesome useless if he can't hide it better and do other things.

Not true at all. Very underrated play maker with good vision and hockey IQ. Also, has a very low COG, so strong on his feet for a small guy. I'd have to guess you haven't seen him play much based on that statement.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Brett hull.

Brett Hull had the ability to get himself open in the offensive zone, perhaps the best I've ever seen. Whilst people were mucking in the corner, at just the right moment he'd angle his skates, move a foot one way or another, be open at just the right time and BAM, pucks in the net. Pulkinnen has yet to learn how to create the time and space at the NHL level to use his shot. Or perhaps more accurately, to learn how to get his shot off in the split second he will get in the NHL.

That's not to say he won't learn, but he's not there yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad