WJC: Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Dangerous use of his stick in any case, he took a big whack at the US player and got him in the head. That being said the suspension was too hefty, one game should have done it.

No he wasn't even taking a wack at the US player. He was off balance and bringing his stick across his body but it flung off the stick of the USA game and up into his face.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Yes, he intended for their sticks to hit, on such and angle it would drive up, hit the Americans glove, then hit him in the head.

Reinhart in a split second thinking genius.

He looks at him and then whacks him in the face. Where the hell do you see his stick sliding up the other stick? Or even the glove?

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
He looks at him and then whacks him in the face. Where the hell do you see his stick sliding up the other stick? Or even the glove?

Watch it closer...someone even posted a 1080p version. Griffin's stick is going across and sorta down then they hit sticks around the blades and his shoots straight up the stick, even grazes the USA guy's glove and then hits his head.

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Dangerous use of his stick in any case, he took a big whack at the US player and got him in the head. That being said the suspension was too hefty, one game should have done it.

Ya, thanks, guess I should have said this. There was intent to slash, whether it was to intentionally slash him in the head or not is anyones guess. Apparently the IIHF thought it was. I say 1-2 games would have been fine.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Watch it closer...someone even posted a 1080p version. Griffin's stick is going across and sorta down then they hit sticks around the blades and his shoots straight up the stick, even grazes the USA guy's glove and then hits his head.

I have watched the sequence 20+ times trying to see what you two are saying happened and I don't see it. I don't see the sticks touching and I'm not even sure where the glove would come into play. In HD fullscreen all I see is him looking at Trocheck and whacking him in the face.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I have watched the sequence 20+ times trying to see what you two are saying happened and I don't see it. I don't see the sticks touching and I'm not even sure where the glove would come into play. In HD fullscreen all I see is him looking at Trocheck and whacking him in the face.

Looking at him? He doesn't even look at him until the very end... their sticks make contact down at their blades.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

That stick
reinhart_1.jpg

That stick
reinhart_2.jpg

And this glove
reinhart_3.jpg

You aren't seeing it, because you don't want to see it.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
OMG how can anybody justify 4 games for that play when considering all of the other contentious plays in this tournament and the penalties handed out.

Just one example is the hit on Wotherspoon, far more dangerous and could have led to a much more serious injury. The Russian player actually alters his direction to hit him from behind and and drive him headfirst into the boards. One game suspension compared to 4. It's totally unjust.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Watching again it may not have hit his glove, the angle made it look that way, but he sure as hell hit the blade of his stick, you can see it about to happen right here.

reinhart_4.jpg

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
The American brings his stick around after the puck is clearly gone why does he do that? Just asking.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It looked like one of those reactionary wacks and it just so happened that the US player's face was hip-level at the time. He definitely meant to slash him, but probably not in the face.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Not not period. Being responsible for your stick, and getting a 4 game suspension for what IIHF somehow deems as an intentional 2 handed swing to the face is a huge difference. We are talking about the biggest suspension they have ever given. It's a ****ing joke. There wasn't even an injury.

Whether he tried to slash or not, there was no intent to hit his face...the stick rode up the american's stick. It is worthy of a high sticking penalty for not taking care of your stick, not a 4 game suspension. Ridiculous.

Biggest suspension ever given, maybe not. Now that I know he cannot serve it in the WHL and the IIHF can make whatever decisions it wants. I am going to say the 7 game suspension they allowed to happen to Noesen is the most severe one I have seen them do.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
Yes it's a highstick and should of been a 2min penalty. (no blood or 4mins) but to give one of the worst suspensions in world JR history is a joke. This is hockey and it wasn't intentional imo. 1 game would of been fine, just to prove a point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad