WJC: Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Looked international first time I saw it and still looks intentional to me, maybe one game too long but its well deserved.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
I just don't get why he is swinging his stick in Trochecks direction when the puck is along the sideboards almost behind him.

Have you ever played hockey before outside of your driveway? The puck goes past, the American player has a step on him and he's just trying to tie his stick up and box him out. It just so happened that it rode up the stick and hit him in the face.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
4 games I feel is a bit harsh, Griffin has no background of dirty play, and even though it was a bad high-stick, Trocheck wasn't hurt on the play and it wasn't anything serious like the Jenner hit or Lipon or Camara, 1 or 2 would've been more than enough IMO.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
How do IIHF suspensions work? I know they follow over to other tournaments, but what if he wasn't going to make the WC team? Do they only count if he was officially on the team?

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Outrageous suspension and this is coming from an American. Even if he intended to slash our guy, I don't think he meant to do it to his face. 1 game at most was what Reinhart deserved, and I'm not even sure if that is warranted.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
How do IIHF suspensions work? I know they follow over to other tournaments, but what if he wasn't going to make the WC team? Do they only count if he was officially on the team?

They would only count if he's on the team.

DaveH

Oct 9, 2011
Travniceks got 3 years for his slashing/spearing/highstick to the face on Weinhandl right?

I for one agree with long bans when it comes to sticks to the face, especially if the player is holding on to the stick with both hands and putting force behind the stick movement. If the stick is bounced off of someone elses stick, it's obviously harder to decide.

Anyone that has played hockey knows that a downward slash (which some claim it was) towards Trochecks stick would've ended on his stick, maybe on his glove. Not in his face.

Therefore; careless swing. Not intentional to the face, but he is being careless.

Should've gotten 2 games.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
But they should count during pre-tournament, no? Huberdeau had a 1-gm QMJHL suspension (and they've obviously decided to honor CHL suspensions now) and it was served during the pre-tournament.

I'm not entirely sure how that works.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
But they should count during pre-tournament, no? Huberdeau had a 1-gm QMJHL suspension (and they've obviously decided to honor CHL suspensions now) and it was served during the pre-tournament.

Which along with the Noesen decision once again makes this a real head scratcher. Why can't his games count in the WHL, should he make the choice to serve the suspension there? Confusing to me to say the least.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Which along with the Noesen decision once again makes this a real head scratcher. Why can't his games count in the WHL, should he make the choice to serve the suspension there? Confusing to me to say the least.

Probably because Noesen and Huberdeau's suspensions were CHL suspensions, meaning they were suspended for x number of their CHL team's games and once the player sat for those many of their CHL team's games their suspensions were served whereas Reinhart's suspensions are IIHF suspensions, thus requiring him to sit for 4 IIHF tournament games.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
The slash was intentional, stupid play. I would have been okay with a one game suspension just because the end result could have been much worse and that's consistent with the IIHF's rulings thus far.

That being said, Trochek's head was obviously not Reinhart's target. The slash was delivered low and initially made contact with Trochek's stick before riding up and unfortunately making contact with Trochek's head. Go back and watch the slow-mo closely, it's pretty clear to see. Since Reinhart didn't deliver his stick toward Trochek's head, the IIHF's ruling of intentional contact to the head is bogus and so is their ridiculous 4 game suspension.

One last thing: Does Reinhart's reaction to the play seriously seem like the outcome was his intent?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Probably because Noesen and Huberdeau's suspensions were CHL suspensions, meaning they were suspended for x number of their CHL team's games and once the player sat for those many of their CHL team's games their suspensions were served whereas Reinhart's suspensions are IIHF suspensions, thus requiring him to sit for 4 IIHF tournament games.

I think his point is it's a bit silly that Noesen's OHL suspension carries over into IIHF events, but Reinhart's suspension does not. If that's not his point it's on I will make.

If Reinhart is suspended in the IIHF he shouldn't be allowed to use 4 WHL games to make up his suspension. Conversely, it's pretty ridiculous that Stefan Noesen's 10 OHL game suspension counts as 10 IIHF games.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think his point is it's a bit silly that Noesen's OHL suspension carries over into IIHF events, but Reinhart's suspension does not. If that's not his point it's on I will make.

If Reinhart is suspended in the IIHF he shouldn't be allowed to use 4 WHL games to make up his suspension. Conversely, it's pretty ridiculous that Stefan Noesen's 10 OHL game suspension counts as 10 IIHF games.

Bingo. You have hit my point exactly. Why count some of the suspension and not others. It is inconsistent for me, if they want to make seperate rulings for their own IIHF punishments then fine do so. That was my point when they suspended Noesen. If they decide he gets 4 games by IIHF rules, he probably doesn't go anyway but they decided to hide behind the CHL/OHL there and it bothered me at the time and this has provided even more ammo for disliking that ruling.

The IIHF is free to have their own process, but they cannot involve other processes and not allow this player to decide to serve the suspension in a similar manner. It sucks for Reinhart, but it is even worse for Noesen who will never have the chance to even play in a WJC. Reinhart is just now in the difficult place of having to sit really one game assuming they do the same pre-tournament buildup. I just don't agree with the inconsistency.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Didn't Simon get 30 games for that?

It isn't really close to the McSorley or Simon range.

However, he wheels to slash he is responsible for the outcome though and it is a pretty bad place where he winds up hitting him to say the least. The other two were clear intentioned head shots. That is the reason Reinhart doesn't have a 20 game basically IIHF death sentence right now. But you still get four games for meaning to slash somebody and accidently getting them in the head.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Reinhart ban clarified

http://www.worldjunior2013.com/en/channels/2013/wm20/top/news/reinhart-ban-clarified/

Marouelli explained the procedure at a disciplinary review and hearing: “We get the referee’s report and referee supervisor’s report. We get the medical report and DVD footage. We watch the video as many times as necessary – at full speed and slowed-down – and the player gets an opportunity to comment on and explain his actions as well. Jeff and I run through the clip again and explain what our concerns might be, and then we open it up to discussion, and [the player and his representative] can present anything they need.”

What were the specific factors that led to the Reinhart suspension? Screening a video clip of the incident, Marouelli said: “You’re going to see the Canadian player and the U.S. player become entangled in the corner. Prior to that, the Canadian player has possession of the puck. Once he becomes entangled with the U.S. player, he chooses not to play the puck anymore and falls to his knees. He’s lost the puck and he’s making eye contact with his opponent. He makes a bad choice. He strikes his opponent in a two-handed fashion with his stick.”

Marouelli clarified: “He sees his opponent. He knows where his opponent is. There’s no contact made with the stick of his opponent that would cause it to come up into his face. In our opinion, he deliberately struck the U.S. player in the side of the head with his stick.”

This is why the Disciplinary Panel described the action as “very careless, dangerous and avoidable” and levied a four-game suspension.

Marouelli also noted that this was not the most severe suspension in IIHF tournament history, as some media outlets had claimed.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I don't agree with their interpretation. If I did, I would say that the penalty was way too easy. Anybody deliberately striking another player in the face with a stick should be looking at a 20 game ban from IIHF competitions.

Oct 18, 2011
Looked like somewhat of an accident, but why would you swing your stick that hard if you didn't intend to hit anyone

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Looked like somewhat of an accident, but why would you swing your stick that hard if you didn't intend to hit anyone

Exactly, what his intent was we`ll never know. As a Canadian, the moment I watched it happen I said to Mrs. Odaat, "what an idiot"

Played a long time myself, never at this level however, and unless the puck was in the air, somewhere near the face of that player, his intent, IMO, was to hit the player in the melon. He deserves what he got, cased closed for this Canadian

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

He meant to slash him, no doubt about it. He didn't, however, mean to slash him in the head which is why I'd rather see a 1 game suspension. His stick clearly rode up Trochek's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad