WJC: Griffin Reinhart suspended four games

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I don't understand how someone can see Reinhart's stick riding up opponent's stick?

Look at Reinhart's stick when it starts moving, it has just about exactly the same direction all the way.

Reckless, careless swing that hit opponent in the face. 4 games is very fair.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Comparing this to what McSorley did is completely ridiculous. Reinhart was falling/lost his footing, and there is question as to whether this was accidental or not.

Ive watched pretty much every game Reinhart has played in the last two years and this is completely out of character for him. Boone Jenner on the other hand is a known repeat offender who took a late run at a player, knocking him out of the tourney and possibly ending his season completely. But for this Jenner gets less games than Reinhart, who didnt even get a major penalty on the play in the view of the four on ice officials, and no injury was incurred on the play.

Not sure how this can be justified tbh.

I have to agree here totally, just watch the clip he was spinning around and his right skate is slipping out.

I can see the 2 minute minor because of the tightness of stick infractions but frankly a 4 game suspension is a joke and sets the precedent for many more suspensions or a litany of uneven treatment.

Not that it matters but Griffin has 86 PIM in 136 WHL games, we are NOT talking Marty McSorely here in any sense.

They really need to take a close look at how they want to officiate games and hand out suspensions, Jenner being a prime example.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don't understand how someone can see Reinhart's stick riding up opponent's stick?

Look at Reinhart's stick when it starts moving, it has just about exactly the same direction all the way.

Reckless, careless swing that hit opponent in the face. 4 games is very fair.
I think it's ridiculous. Careless use of the stick gets you 4 games, but intentionally running people from behind or head shots gets you 1?

The officiating and suspending at this World Juniors has gone between ridiculous to pathetic at times. It's like they are playing wheel of fortune with suspensions...

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Exactly, what his intent was we`ll never know. As a Canadian, the moment I watched it happen I said to Mrs. Odaat, "what an idiot"

Played a long time myself, never at this level however, and unless the puck was in the air, somewhere near the face of that player, his intent, IMO, was to hit the player in the melon. He deserves what he got, cased closed for this Canadian

Well stated, and I completely agree. Said the very same thing to my missus, as it happened.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yeah, watched the clip again. He was clearly attempting to eliminate the air around him. Getting Trocheck in the head wasn't his intention.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
I think it's ridiculous. Careless use of the stick gets you 4 games, but intentionally running people from behind or head shots gets you 1?

Careless use of stick earns you a 2min penalty or 5+game at worst.

I don't know how anyone can claim this was just Reinhart being careless when he takes a heavy swing at opponents head *while looking him*.

Just because other offences went uncalled/got lighter punishments doesn't mean that Reinhart was treated unfairly.

The officiating and suspending at this World Juniors has gone between ridiculous to pathetic at times. It's like they are playing wheel of fortune with suspensions...

Well, it's the former NHL referee Marouelli calling the shots on suspensions. I guess the IIHF should ditch these 2nd rate officials like Marouelli and hire some of those spotless CHL referees to decide on suspensions.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Doesn't look like this suspension will be reduced, not good for next year. Reinhart would have been one of cornerstones if not in the NHL. Not sure if I would give him a spot if he is going to miss the first three games, unless HC is going to change the attitude that winning all the preliminary aren't as important as winning the medal games.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Reinhart is really not a dirty or aggressive player, I highly doubt he was trying to hit Trocheck in the head. The angle at the 0:24 mark of this video shows what happened pretty well:

He seems to be going for a slash to Trocheck's body, but he hits Trocheck's glove/stick and his slash is deflected upwards to the head. I do think it was an intentional slash, but those are pretty common in hockey, and I really think he only caught the head because he accidentally rode up Trocheck's stick. A 1-2 game suspension seems about right for me, but 4 games seems a little harsh considering there was no injury, and he wasn't aiming for the head (IMO).

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Does not surprise me in the least, the IIHF is a complete joke, no consistency in applying the rules, no consistency in suspensions, hell, they go on about transparency and don't even bother to inform Canadian officials that they are holding a news conference to explain their reasoning for the suspension.
Even the referee report stated that there was intent to injure or it was deliberate, yet a 4 game suspension? Just baffles me how Jenner's hit (which knocked the player out of the tournament) gets 3 games, and Reinhart's high stick (which the player was not hurt or even missed a shift) gets more?? :shakehead
Like I said, the IIHF is a joke of an organization.

Mr Atoz*

I don't know how anyone can claim this was just Reinhart being careless when he takes a heavy swing at opponents head *while looking him*.

It's called seeing the game through maple leaf colored glasses.

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
LOL at anyone defending this. Sometimes fans from this country make me sick. Why can't you just admit some of our players on the team pulled some dbag moves? You cannot defend this slash. He knew what he was doing and tried to play the "i'm a nice canadian boy, i don't do that" nonsense in the PG interview. The worst is steve spotts reaction.. I can only imagine what he would say if it were the other way around.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Seen Reinhart play a bunch of times and this is totally out of character for him. Hard to defend this one though.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Here in Edmonton, we have never seen Griffin do anything remotely close to approaching this. Honestly shocking and it's extremely hard to believe it's intentional. He's a great kid that plays with zero malice, if anything we would like to see him play dirty and more Pronger-esque. I can't believe he had any malicious intent to injure another player but the video is the video, not much you can do about it to defend it when you see it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad