Gretzky vs Brady

Which is the greater goat Gretzky or Brady?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
hockey forum so gretzky will obvs get more hype however easily brady. he also played during a time when his competition was decent.
gretzky played when everyone was peewee...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
hockey forum so gretzky will obvs get more hype however easily brady. he also played during a time when his competition was decent.
gretzky played when everyone was peewee...
Lemiux was pee wee? Messier? Yzerman? Roy? Get outta here.

Brady won more championships. That's becuase the QB has a bigger role in a football game than any single position than any other team sport, aside from maybe a pitcher in baseball, or an ECHL goalie in your net in hockey. But Brady wasn't the hands down best player in the world at any point. He was the greatest big game player ever, sure, but he was never the hands down best player at any time in his career. If you're talking better career, you can argue Brady because of leading his teams to all those championships. But Gretzky was a better GOAT.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I said records did I not
215 in 80 vs 199 in 76
92 goals vs 85 goals
47 playoff points vs 44 playoff points
51 game point streak vs 46 game point streak

These are Gretzky most coveted records
Those aren't major awards tho.

Here let's compared players awards:
Gretzky won 4 Stanley Cup. Lemieux won 2.
Gretzky won 10 Art Ross. Lemieux won 6.
Gretzky won 9 Hart. Lemieux won 3.
Gretzky won 5 Ted Lindsey. Lemieux won 4.

It's not close

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Easily Gretzky. Brady has the rings and longevity stats but Gretzky has the rings, longevity stats, single season peak, MVPs, scoring titles, etc. How many MVPs does Brady have? Peyton has more, Rodgers is about to tie Brady with 3. Who has the single season yards record? TD record? Brady is the football GOAT for sure but when it comes to the GOAT of all sports he's well behind Gretzky.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Brady. Gretzky went to LA and the Oilers won without him. Brady went to TB and turned a shit team into champions overnight.

Shit team eh? One of the worst takes ever. Who had the better D? Who had the better WR's? Who had the better RB's? I will break it down further.

Individually, Kelce is the best at his position and Hill is top 5 at his. As a team......

Tampa D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KC D
Godwin/Evans/Brown>>>>>Hill/Watkins/Robinson
Kelce>>Gronkowski/Brate
Fournette/Jones>>>>Helaire/Williams

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
People know that Brady is the all time leader in touchdowns in the regular season and will take over for yards next season too right? It’s not just the 7 rings and all the all time best playoff numbers. Yes Brady has played in a high scoring era, but don’t think 99 fans want to talk about high scoring eras lol.

Sure, but there are QBs in his stratosphere. Of the top 10 QBs in passing yards, only Marino and Elway have been retired more than 10 years. Only Favre and Manning more than 5. the other 5 are still active (or retiring this offseason in the case of Rivers and likely Brees).

No one is within a thousand points of Gretzky. No one has topped 200 points but Gretzky, who did it multiple times. Only one other player has come close to hitting it once.

This is a high passing era, and lots of QBs have put up big passing numbers. The 80's was high scoring, only one player put the obscene numbers he did.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Brady was drafted by NE when I was 7/8. I've watched his whole career and bandwagon'd the Bucs when he went there.

I just don't think anyone in the history of team sports was more dominant than Gretzky at their sport. Except maybe Ruth.

Like, with the Jordans, Lebrons, Brady's, Peytons, they're all unreal. But to me, Gretzky is in the Ruth tier. Jordan won 6. But Russell won even more. Wilt averaged 50. Etc. Basketball and Football, the media takes guys and builds them into marketing brands and that becomes part of their story.

Gretkzy and Ruth with no bias, no media bs, no marketing, no brands or business ventures did things in their sports that don't make sense. Just look/read the history of their sports and see the stats they did. It's silly. Mario imo was more talented but he broke down too much for him to rival Wayne. Ruth was the best pitcher arguably and then changed the game and broke all the records. Had Ruth played as a hitter his whole career, Aaron/Bonds don't sniff his records and they stand like Wayne's will.

I love Brady to death and he is my favorite athlete of all time, but Babe Ruth is the only guy that dominated his sport like Wayne. Hockey just isn't talked like other sports where legacy/brands/GOAT talk is discussed 24/7 on all these shows.

Reactions: rfournier103

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018

Off topic. Perrault, Bure, Nilsson, Marner had as much if not more skill but it’s goals and assists that gets measured not skill. Good try. 99 was the best hockey goat ask anyone. Back on topic.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Shit team eh? One of the worst takes ever. Who had the better D? Who had the better WR's? Who had the better RB's? I will break it down further.

Individually, Kelce is the best at his position and Hill is top 5 at his. As a team......

Tampa D>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KC D
Godwin/Evans/Brown>>>>>Hill/Watkins/Robinson
Kelce>>Gronkowski/Brate
Fournette/Jones>>>>Helaire/Williams
You're exaggerating a lot but Tompa was the better team on paper

But this was a new team that didn't get OTA's due to covid. Had to come together and do things against a juggernaut with continuity. I picked Tompa to win by more than 6 but there is a reason KC was favored. Only now is everyone switching their angle and saying Tompa was better.

KC had many advantages over them but refused to change their game plan. It was weird.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Gretzky. Brady has obviously impacted team success more, as noted by multiple posters, but that's largely because a football quarterback inherently has a bigger impact than any one player can in hockey. So many of Gretzky's records will never be equalled, Brady doesn't have that.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Off topic. Perrault, Bure, Nilsson, Marner had as much if not more skill but it’s goals and assists that gets measured not skill. Good try. 99 was the best hockey goat ask anyone. Back on topic.
Marner has more skill than Mario?

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Brady is a freak. He is performing at a level where QBs half is age envy.

Having said that, his stats have been matched and exceeded by other QBs throughout his career.

Gretzky's stats on the other hand are almost all untouchable.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Gretzky has more assists than anyone else has points. He has more points than Jagr & Steve Thomas combined.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Brady for sure now. Gretzky couldn't win a cup outside of dynasty oilers. Brady left his dynasty patriots and went to a team that had not made the playoffs in 13 years and won a ring his first season with SB MVP.
Do you really think Gretzky wouldn't have won a cup if he had spent his 20s on a less stacked team? He was about 28 years old when he went to LA. He got them to the finals at 33. He had 130 points at 34 and his team didn't make the playoffs. It's not like he wasn't doing his part.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
You're exaggerating a lot but Tompa was the better team on paper

But this was a new team that didn't get OTA's due to covid. Had to come together and do things against a juggernaut with continuity. I picked Tompa to win by more than 6 but there is a reason KC was favored. Only now is everyone switching their angle and saying Tompa was better.

KC had many advantages over them but refused to change their game plan. It was weird.

Where is the exaggeration? Tell me what I said that was exaggerated? You don't think Tampa's D is far better? You don't think they have far superior depth at WR? You don't believe they have better RB's?

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Q: Who was the second fastest player to get 1000pts in the NHL?

A: Gretzky, he is the fastest to 1000pts and his 1001-2000pts is second fastest

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Two very different types of domination, Brady's legacy is team success and Gretzky's is individual success. Obviously Brady still has impressive individual numbers, but they aren't Gretzky-esque, and Gretzky's 4 Cups are nothing to sneeze at, but don't touch Brady's 7 titles.

I think there can be different ways to be considered the best ever in a sport. Someone could come along and without touching Brady's 7 SB wins, still surpass him by dominating individually to a higher degree (far more TD's, yards, fewer INTs, QB rating, etc) without having quality teams around him. And maybe a Brady type athlete could come along and win like 10 Cups in the modern day NHL with the same kind of clutch play the Brady has shown in big moments and surpass Gretzky in people's minds.

But I'll take Gretzky here without hesitation. His individual numbers are so far above every other NHL player ever that it's just comical, and while Brady approaches that level in team success, there's just more outside factors to consider there. Gretzky would have put up ridiculous numbers on any franchise in the NHL, he dominated at every level he ever played at. Would Brady have won 7 SBs if he was drafter by a team like Detroit? It's highly unlikely.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Gretzky would have put up ridiculous numbers on any franchise in the NHL

Debatable, with the Oilers he had the best linemates in the league and could rely on them getting the job done when he did his. Had he ended up with the Colorado Rockies or so there's no way his plays would have found the net anywhere near as often regardless of his individual level of skill.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I said records did I not
215 in 80 vs 199 in 76
92 goals vs 85 goals
47 playoff points vs 44 playoff points
51 game point streak vs 46 game point streak

These are Gretzky most coveted records

Difference is Gretzky hit 200+pts 4x. Lemieux only scored 170+pts 1x. Gretzky hit 70+ goals 4x, Lemieux only 2x. Gretzky hit 40+pts in the playoffs 3x, Lemieux only 1x.

Gretzky peaked higher than Lemieux and he did it again and again and again. Lemieux did it once. So yes Gretzky is an outlier.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Debatable, with the Oilers he had the best linemates in the league and could rely on them getting the job done when he did his. Had he ended up with the Colorado Rockies or so there's no way his plays would have found the net anywhere near as often regardless of his individual level of skill.

Lol. Might want to check what the "best line mates in the league" were doing in the early 80s. Gretzky had already destroyed the single season pts record before Kurri or Messier were any good. They were chumps at that point.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Lol. Might want to check what the "best line mates in the league" were doing in the early 80s. Gretzky had already destroyed the single season pts record before Kurri or Messier were any good. They were chumps at that point.

Before Kurri's first season only three players in league history had scored more points as a rookie, and Messier was 1st All-Star by the following year. Chumps. Initially Gretzky played with Callighen and MacDonald, that much is true, and with them he would never have got where he did with the likes of Kurri and Messier.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Where is the exaggeration? Tell me what I said that was exaggerated? You don't think Tampa's D is far better? You don't think they have far superior depth at WR? You don't believe they have better RB's?
I've never lost a fight so if you're gonna come at me just remember that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad