Icey said:
GRETZKY, WAYNE

Season Salary ($US) $ Increase % Inc.

1989-90 1,720,000 $
1990-91 3,000,000 $ 1,280,000 74%

1991-92 3,000,000 $ - $
1992-93 3,000,000 $ - $
1993-94 3,000,000 $ - $
1994-95 6,540,028 $ 3,540,028 $ 118% Players' Strike: 48 out of 84 games played. Most players only received +/- 58% of the amount listed.
1995-96 6,545,400 $ 5,372 $ 0%
1996-97 3,963,000 $ (2,582,400) $ -39%
1997-98 6,500,000 $ 2,537,000 $ 64%
1998-99 6,000,000 $ (500,000) $ -8%
1999-00 - $ - $

2000-01 - $ - $

2001-02 - $ - $
2002-03 - $ - $
2003-04 - $ - $
Total
1989-2004 43,268,428 $ Total fortune accumulated from 1989 to 2004

so what? he's the GREATEST player who ever lived!!

he deserves that money cause he put butts into the seats...

now he's an owner and knows what it all about...the business side of hockey

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
BlackRedGold said:
Kariya was already an UFA when he took the paycut.

Gretzky's been bought by the NHL owners. He's selling the lockout just like he sells the crappy Ford cars that he pimps in commercials.

Out of curiosity, during the " user name change" period earlier this year, did you receive many pms from Senators fans asking you to take advantage of the opportunity????

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
To say that Wayne Gretzky isn't a puppet would be a lie. Gretzky is called an "owner" but in reality he doesn't own much of the Coyotes. He was brought in by the majority owner of the team to try to put a face on the team in order to get a new arena. Gretzky is now a puppet of management and its a shame that a man of his power did not use his voice to improve the game during all these years. Instead, he sits there and collects checks being a yes man for the owners, Ford, Campbells, and Mcdonalds.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
e-townchamps said:
so what? he's the GREATEST player who ever lived!!

he deserves that money cause he put butts into the seats...

now he's an owner and knows what it all about...the business side of hockey

Lots of players put butts in the seats. So please try again.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
ScottyBowman said:
To say that Wayne Gretzky isn't a puppet would be a lie. Gretzky is called an "owner" but in reality he doesn't own much of the Coyotes. He was brought in by the majority owner of the team to try to put a face on the team in order to get a new arena. Gretzky is now a puppet of management and its a shame that a man of his power did not use his voice to improve the game during all these years. Instead, he sits there and collects checks being a yes man for the owners, Ford, Campbells, and Mcdonalds.

Do you get paid for your services?? I'm making an assumption that you have a job, of course. If not, do you accept your social services cheque, or give it back, since you seem to have a problem with Mr. Gretzky accepting remuneration from his employers? :dunce:

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Icey said:

Don't know if you were around in 1988, but had Wayne Gretzky not been traded to LA, there wouldn't be all those seats to put butts in. Hockey's vast expansion into new US markets (and the oodles of resultant NHLPA jobs), are to a very great extent due to Gretzky's departure to LA. ;)

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
CMUMike said:
Boys, it's all about drawing money. Guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, LaFontaine, Yzerman drew fans. They made hockey fans out of sports fans. Your salary should be correlated to the amount of revenue you produce. With that group, they deserved what they got. What really bugs me is when you see the Bill Guerins and Trevor Lindens of the world, who never drew $1 or added anything to the fanbase, hitting the jackpot.

BTW, all you need to know about the PA is that most of their supporters on this board have resorted to criticizing Lemieux and Gretzky.

On a national level no, however Trevor Linden is one of the all time Canucks and draws crowds where ever he goes. When Brian Burke brought Treveor back to Vancouver that alone increased attendance for a struggling franchise. Like it or not Trevor Linden is highly liked and respected here in Vancouver. Oh and what people say on this board about him is NOT what Vancouver fans know or Trevor Linden.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Bring Back Bucky said:
Don't know if you were around in 1988, but had Wayne Gretzky not been traded to LA, there wouldn't be all those seats to put butts in. Hockey's vast expansion into new US markets (and the oodles of resultant NHLPA jobs), are to a very great extent due to Gretzky's departure to LA. ;)

yes I was around and watching hockey. Wayne helped hockey grow I will give you that, but other players also helped and other players put butts in seats, so Wayne is not soley responsible for hockey in US. There was hockey in the US before Wayne was traded to LA --- Chicago, Detroit, Boston etc.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
vanlady said:
On a national level no, however Trevor Linden is one of the all time Canucks and draws crowds where ever he goes. When Brian Burke brought Treveor back to Vancouver that alone increased attendance for a struggling franchise. Like it or not Trevor Linden is highly liked and respected here in Vancouver. Oh and what people say on this board about him is NOT what Vancouver fans know or Trevor Linden.

I think that is a good point vanlady. I have no hesitation of taking shots at Linden as NHLPA puppet-monkey, but if you don't think he's popular in Vancouver, you've never watched a game broadcast from there. He's also in a lose-lose position when it comes to pleasing hockey fans, so I can see cutting the poor bugger a break..

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Icey said:
yes I was around and watching hockey. Wayne helped hockey grow I will give you that, but other players also helped and other players put butts in seats, so Wayne is not soley responsible for hockey in US. There was hockey in the US before Wayne was traded to LA --- Chicago, Detroit, Boston etc.

Those are traditional hockey markets. There had been no new successful US expansion since Buffalo before Gretzky created a buzz in the early 90's. I didn't claim he singlehandedly created a hockey audience, I am saying that you can't dismiss his contribution to hockey as easily as you seemed to be brushing him off. ;)

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
CMUMike said:
BTW, all you need to know about the PA is that most of their supporters on this board have resorted to criticizing Lemieux and Gretzky.

Not true at all. Yes I am more of a PA supporter than an owner supporter, but Wayne and Mario have never topped my list of favorites.

they took advantage of system, no different than any of the other 700+ players, but when they did it and reapped the benefits, it was fine, but now that they are owners they are crying and the players are unrealistic and greedy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Icey said:
Not the way #99 did...ask the NHL about his trade to LA...not to mention he would routinely put up 150-200 pts a season in his heyday...I can't believe some on here are bashing Wayne Gretzky... :dunno: Must be the kool-aid Knob Goodenow is giving out...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Icey said:
Not true at all. Yes I am more of a PA supporter than an owner supporter, but Wayne and Mario have never topped my list of favorites.

they took advantage of system, no different than any of the other 700+ players, but when they did it and reapped the benefits, it was fine, but now that they are owners they are crying and the players are unrealistic and greedy.
Took advantage of the system...by actually earning their $$$...unlike Jagr and Holik and CO.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Bring Back Bucky said:
Those are traditional hockey markets. There had been no new successful US expansion since Buffalo before Gretzky created a buzz in the early 90's. I didn't claim he singlehandedly created a hockey audience, I am saying that you can't dismiss his contribution to hockey as easily as you seemed to be brushing him off. ;)

I'm not brushing off what he did for hockey. I understand what he did for the game and how he helped the game grow more than anyone else. But what I am saying is he had no problem cashing all those million dollar checks. He had no problem reapping the benefits in his bank account. But now that he's involved with a team, all the sudden the players are all being unrealistic and greedy and I think he ought to look in the mirror.

Look at a player like Mike Modano. Look what he has done for hockey in the south and especially hockey in Texas. He almost single handily grew Dallas into a hockey hotbed (although I am sure most of you will disagree with that, fact is the Stars are one of the most successful franchises.) Do you know there are more professional hockey teams in the state of Texas than all of Canada? Do you know how many sheets ice were in Dallas when the Stars came to Texas and how many are there now? Do you how much youth hockey has grown in the 12 years that Stars have been in Dallas? Do you know how much money Mike Modano has made for the Stars? Do you know how much Modano merchandise is sold compared to other Stars merchandise? Yet he doesn't deserve the $9M they pay him, according to all of you.

If Gretzky can be singled out for what he did, why can't any of the current players be singled out for their role? He very well may be the great one and will always be the greatest, but he isn't the only one. He was overpaid for the time he was playing. That $6M in '99 would be $12M today, that was my point.

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
BLONG7 said:
Not the way #99 did...ask the NHL about his trade to LA...not to mention he would routinely put up 150-200 pts a season in his heyday...I can't believe some on here are bashing Wayne Gretzky... :dunno: Must be the kool-aid Knob Goodenow is giving out...

I am not bashing Gretzky, however ask yourself this, who's contract was the first to break 5 million? Who repeatedly set pay benchmarks in the NHL, not saying that he shouldn't, but the reality is that he had to know that his contracts would have consequences in the future. For Gretzky to now complain about NHL contracts is nothing but hypocrytical.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Icey said:
I'm not brushing off what he did for hockey. I understand what he did for the game and how he helped the game grow more than anyone else. But what I am saying is he had no problem cashing all those million dollar checks. He had no problem reapping the benefits in his bank account. But now that he's involved with a team, all the sudden the players are all being unrealistic and greedy and I think he ought to look in the mirror.

Look at a player like Mike Modano. Look what he has done for hockey in the south and especially hockey in Texas. He almost single handily grew Dallas into a hockey hotbed (although I am sure most of you will disagree with that, fact is the Stars are one of the most successful franchises.) Do you know there are more professional hockey teams in the state of Texas than all of Canada? Do you know how many sheets ice were in Dallas when the Stars came to Texas and how many are there now? Do you how much youth hockey has grown in the 12 years that Stars have been in Dallas? Do you know how much money Mike Modano has made for the Stars? Do you know how much Modano merchandise is sold compared to other Stars merchandise? Yet he doesn't deserve the $9M they pay him, according to all of you.

If Gretzky can be singled out for what he did, why can't any of the current players be singled out for their role? He very well may be the great one and will always be the greatest, but he isn't the only one. He was overpaid for the time he was playing. That $6M in '99 would be $12M today, that was my point.

Obviously Modano should have held out for more (or followed Gramma's advice to save $5 from every paycheque), given his inability to feed Anastasia-Priscilla during the lockout. ;)

In all seriousness, I appreciate your point, but hockey doesn't even MAKE IT TO TEXAS without Gretzky. His contribution to the game is much farther reaching than I felt you were giving it credit for, that's all. :cheers:

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Bring Back Bucky said:
Obviously Modano should have held out for more (or followed Gramma's advice to save $5 from every paycheque), given his inability to feed Anastasia-Priscilla during the lockout. ;)

In all seriousness, I appreciate your point, but hockey doesn't even MAKE IT TO TEXAS without Gretzky. His contribution to the game is much farther reaching than I felt you were giving it credit for, that's all. :cheers:

Yes but we can't belittle what current players are doing to grow the game in there markets either. Gretzky started it, but current NHLer's have made great contributions in developing and maintaining fans in there current markets.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Icey said:

certainly not 9 million dollar man Holik, or 10 mil Pronger

Sakic? yes
Forsberg?yes
no one derserves the money these players are getting, but there are a handful in which I'd pay, as a fan, to watch.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
vanlady said:
I am not bashing Gretzky, however ask yourself this, who's contract was the first to break 5 million? Who repeatedly set pay benchmarks in the NHL, not saying that he shouldn't, but the reality is that he had to know that his contracts would have consequences in the future. For Gretzky to now complain about NHL contracts is nothing but hypocrytical.

And that was what I was TRYING to say, although you seemed to do it much better.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
vanlady said:

Actually I don't know who broke what barriers but I do remember Yzermans big contract...I don't remember the specifics but it was the first time we talked about how much players were making anc couldn't believe it.

Not one player is at fault here including the players they were getting what they were asking for BUT todays players need to see REALITY that TV deal is gone, TV ratings are down and the game is not popular in the US...They are not going to make what NBA stars are making until they work out a better deal with the owners and work together to really grow the game in popularity and visibility.

Gretzky is not the problem he deserved the money more than most of the players playing today since he worked hard everynight. Players should move on and look at reality...no one in todays game can be compared with him in terms of visibility...I live in an area with little hockey knowledge but they know who Gretzky is...and that is about it...

I was at a game here in San Jose and some kids came into the game during the third period and asked me when the next quarter will start...I told him there are three periods and not four quarters and then he left. Gretzky started a craze in southern US but the current players need to work to get the knowledge and interest in the game.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
vanlady said:
Yes but we can't belittle what current players are doing to grow the game in there markets either. Gretzky started it, but current NHLer's have made great contributions in developing and maintaining fans in there current markets.

I don't think that any NHLer is presently doing much to develop and maintain fans in their current market. Firing the director of their union would probably be the greatest contribution any current NHLer will make..

I don't disagree that Gretzky isn't the only contributor to the growth of hockey, but if we fail to realize that he has been the greatest in the past 30 years, we're being basically delusional.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
ladybugblue said:
Gretzky started a craze in southern US but the current players need to work to get the knowledge and interest in the game.

Isn't that the owners and the leagues job, not the players. The players certainly can contribute, but the burden of that responsibility falls on the league not the players.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Icey said:
Isn't that the owners and the leagues job, not the players. The players certainly can contribute, but the burden of that responsibility falls on the league not the players.

The players and owners are both part of it. According to the players they want to be part of decision making...NHL is responsible for not marketing the NHL very well...Players are responsible for poor product, and not facing REALITY and pretending everything is okay in the NHL for the last 5 years. Not excuse for the NHL but they see the writing on the wall and want to fix it the players would rather be in the land of Oz where everything is good and not see how unhappy the fans have been.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
ScottyBowman said:
Gretzky has always been all about the paycheck just like Mario. I have more respect for someone like Paul Kariya who took a huge paycut to win.

Ya what a saint. He tried to buy a Stanley Cup by going to one of the most stacked teams around. He chose to pay his way onto a team with as good a chance as any to ride the coattails of others to weasel his name on the cup, all while assuring himself a fat contract the year to follow. The POS would have gotten respect if he took the paycut to go to a lesser team or heh stay with the Ducks.

A winner is someone who causes his team to win, not a player that falls assbackwards onto a winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad