Gretzky named ambassador for Kunlun

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
https://www.tsn.ca/gretzky-named-ambassador-for-khl-s-kunlun-1.1154726

Wayne Gretzky has been named a global ambassador for Beijing’s Kunlun Red Star as the Chinese capital seeks to boost the profile of hockey domestically ahead of hosting the Winter Olympics in 2022.
Gretzky will focus on youth development in China, including a planned KRS-Gretzky Hockey School that will provide advanced training for players aged 8-17 in Beijing and the southern tech hub of Shenzhen, eventually expanding to at least 20 locations nationwide.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I see it as him and Coffey not getting liquored at Oiler games as much. Should result in more money in Katz's pocket so we don't have to buy guys out like Gryba anymore

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I see it as Wayne collecting some pretty fat paychecks.

Not that I have a problem with that or anything. It's a good initiative.

he deserves a payday though. Sure didn't get his fair share of salary during his playing years when contrasted with current kids.

Its nice that Gretzky is getting this recognition in front of the most populous nation on Earth. This might actually also put Edmonton more on the map.

What a great opportunity for Chinese youth to have some training exposure to the Great one. Hockey needs ambassadors like this to make it a bigger profile sport.

Critical initiative.

Think about what Gretz has done as well. He saved hockey in California, Arizona, sold the southern states teams possibilities, has communicated tirelessly with fellow ambassadors like Tretiak, and he's doing this.

Does the hockey world know a better ambassador?

Last edited:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Just like in curling/figure skating we will train China and other countries to beat us in the Olympics in the sports which we are good at!
We are the definition of nice

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Just like in curling/figure skating we will train China and other countries to beat us in the Olympics in the sports which we are good at!
We are the definition of nice

Why do Canadians act like we're the only ones pimping out our coaches to other countries? Our national soccer coach is British, our national baseball coach is American and Milos Raonic's coach is Croatian

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Gretzky's post career life strikes me as sad. I've seen some interviews with him where he looks either drunk or drugged up. I kind of get the sense that he numbs himself out a lot. It's sad to see, he deserves better.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He truly is the Iron Fist.

Somebody needs to photoshop Gretzky's face on this:

ca5ec802141e2723e46ed0530e8be12e.jpg

@Del Preston ;)

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Gretzky's post career life strikes me as sad. I've seen some interviews with him where he looks either drunk or drugged up. I kind of get the sense that he numbs himself out a lot. It's sad to see, he deserves better.

Wait... what? I mean I've seen him looking a little tipsy from time to time, but I just kinda chalked it up to the typical "every day is a party" retirement stage of life that some go through.

Is there any reason why we should be concerned, or is he just having some fun before discovering a next passion?... big hero of mine and I was just concerned by your comment... perhaps I'd missed something.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Life happens. Family, career, controversy, family difficulties, all hard, all draining. Its why most of us Gretz age start to look really tired. In the pro sports world its worse as almost an expectation you marry starlet wives complete with baggage. its downhill from there. Speaking of which take a look at Kevin Lowe anytime in the last 20years.

I'm actually glad for Gretzky he's taking multiple opportunities to try to get away from things. He probably needs that. I wish him some downtime but he can't really get that so these types of positions are the closest thing. Being involved, somewhat busy, and being able to have some rest time and R & R at the same time.

That this guy still has the energy he does manage to have is something else. He carried the hockey world on his back for long periods of time. When you have had that kind or weight you burn out quicker.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad