Rumor: Gretzky in talks with Caps & three others

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I know the restructuring may make it difficult to know who is going to have what powers, but I would think a top notch GM candidate is going to demand full control of the team.

Lets just hope we get a top candidate GM in here with said controls, which should all but confirm Wayne is a PR stunt at least for the next several years.

If it's PR then Ted remains an idiot. Any great GM has to be free to build the team in his way. If this GM is a dud then we can forget the Caps until Ted is gone.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If it's PR then Ted remains an idiot. Any great GM has to be free to build the team in his way. If this GM is a dud then we can forget the Caps until Ted is gone.

He may be an idiot either way then :laugh:

Based on Wayne's lackluster post playing career resume, I would say Ted is an idiot for bringing him into an executive position in anything other than for PR uses, attracting free agents, pull with the league, TV time etc.

You would think being the greatest ever, he would have walked into a post playing career as a diplomat for the NHL. While he may well have learned lessons from his time in Phoenix, what has he been doing since then?

Anyone want to throw together his post playing career resume?

Wayne Gretzky
[email protected]

Former NHL great who...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
While he may well have learned lessons from his time in Phoenix, what has he been doing since then?

Anyone want to throw together his post playing career resume?
When Phoenix's owner, Jerry Moyes, declared bankruptcy in 2009 he walked away from paying 99 ~$8M. Gretzky fought to get that money and kept his distance the past few years while that situation got resolved. Initially the NHL pushed to recover that from Moyes in court but it didn't happen so the league paid him early last December. What do you know but right after that comes word 99 wants back into the league.

2000 - 2009: Phoenix Coyotes--Managing Partner, Alternate Governor, Head of Hockey Operations
2005 - 2009: Phoenix Coyotes--Head Coach
2002 & 2006: Team Canada--Executive Director

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
so....its proof that g cant do hockey other than playing because he didn't win a lot in phoenix? you paint a lot of guys working for low budget teams when you do that....like trotz for instance.

he did lead team maple leaf to Olympic gold medal. that would be impressive.

I don't know whether he knows what he is doing or not. I do know that using lack of success in Pheonix as your main evidence that he can't doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Liberati0n*

so....its proof that g cant do hockey other than playing because he didn't win a lot in phoenix? you paint a lot of guys working for low budget teams when you do that....like trotz for instance.

I don't know whether he knows what he is doing or not. I do know that using lack of success in Pheonix as your main evidence that he can't doesn't carry a lot of weight.

It's the remarkable depth of his failure there that makes it so damning.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=84708525&postcount=24

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
When Phoenix's owner, Jerry Moyes, declared bankruptcy in 2009 he walked away from paying 99 ~$8M. Gretzky fought to get that money and kept his distance the past few years while that situation got resolved. Initially the NHL pushed to recover that from Moyes in court but it didn't happen so the league paid him early last December. What do you know but right after that comes word 99 wants back into the league.

2000 - 2009: Phoenix Coyotes--Managing Partner, Alternate Governor, Head of Hockey Operations
2005 - 2009: Phoenix Coyotes--Head Coach
2002 & 2006: Team Canada--Executive Director

Thanks. I had long forgotten just how involved he was in Phoenix. Despite the pending financial settlement, I am surprised he has not done more in the past 5 years. Generally speaking, employers are looking for candidates that don't have 5 year lulls in employment.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
since the honeymoon feeling of the firing of McPhee and Oates has fully burned off and we are full on back to the negative. can we discuss worst case scenarios? it is gretzky? ive been feeling like Ron Wilson is coming back. Would that be it?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Doomsday scenario is selling off all assets for pennies on the dollar and rebuilding overnight setting the team back 5 years. There is no name needed to doom and gloom proper.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
since the honeymoon feeling of the firing of McPhee and Oates has fully burned off and we are full on back to the negative. can we discuss worst case scenarios? it is gretzky? ive been feeling like Ron Wilson is coming back. Would that be it?

funnily enough, there's some who would rejoice at that prospect.

i'm not one of them.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I'm still glowing from the firings. I'll get back to you.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So what are we looking for in a president of hockey operations? All I see around the league is former players, most top-tier, and most with connections to the team. Sakic, Linden, Neely... Just doesn't seem like there are really any concrete qualifications for such a position. No background necessary in talent evaluation, contract law, management, etc.

Last edited:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona

It's fantastic evidence that carries a huge amount of weight, because virtually every decision Wayne made for our franchise was a complete disaster. From hiring his former player agent with no experience to be our GM, to making his brother our head scout, to giving all his Oiler buddies high-ranking jobs despite them having no experience, it was a complete mess. Not to mention he was an abomination as a head coach. It's not a coincidence that we went from 79 points to 107 points the season immediately after Wayne left.

I like the Caps a lot, and I really hope for the good of the team that Wayne doesn't get hired.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's fantastic evidence that carries a huge amount of weight, because virtually every decision Wayne made for our franchise was a complete disaster. From hiring his former player agent with no experience to be our GM, to making his brother our head scout, to giving all his Oiler buddies high-ranking jobs despite them having no experience, it was a complete mess. Not to mention he was an abomination as a head coach. It's not a coincidence that we went from 79 points to 107 points the season immediately after Wayne left.

I like the Caps a lot, and I really hope for the good of the team that Wayne doesn't get hired.

I'll echo this. TGO's decade-long reign in Phoenix pretty much ran the team into the ground. The *only* thing TGO did right and saved the Yotes from relocation (at least for now) was hiring Don Maloney as GM late in his tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: