Rumor: Gretzky in talks with Caps & three others

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
I thought this might be worthy of its own thread but its been reported by Bob Mckenzie that Gretzky is in talks with the Caps, Leafs, Kings & Rangers about returning to the NHL in some capacity. I think it might be with us as he was with Ted last week at the game and today the lawsuit finally ended which could be what they were waiting for. I'd guess president of hockey ops? Thoughts?

Link:https://twitter.com/Hope_Smoke/status/408357760443899904

Last edited:

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Linky por favor?

Also, the other 3 don't make sense. Kings just won a cup, Toronto just had a major overhaul, and the Rangers are doing fine

Otherwise, stupid idea

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
was rumored, i think on dreklund's site - so dont pitchfork the messenger here - that snider reached out to him to replace luukko.

btw, what lawsuit are you referring to?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
btw, what lawsuit are you referring to?
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...-paid-money-owed-former-phoenix-coyotes-owner
More than four years since leaving the Phoenix Coyotes, Wayne Gretzky will be repaid money he was owed by former team owner Jerry Moyes, the NHL itself agreeing to cut a check to the Great One after reaching a tentative deal with the legend, sources tell ESPN.com.

Sources would not confirm the exact figure settled on but it's believed to be around $7 million to $8 million.
McKenzie posted the following a week ago:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Wayne Gretzky's presence at game in WSH last week has prompted rumors he's going to be next president of the Caps. 99 says no truth to them.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Gretzky: "Absolutely false. I just went to the game for fun." Gretzky said he was in D.C. on another matter and was invited by Ted Leonsis.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
who the hell is hope smoke? tony stewart?

thanks langway...didnt know about that.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
What is he going to say?

Yes I am there to take over GMGM job. Might as well quit now George....

dillyboy93

Dec 3, 2012
Canada
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...-paid-money-owed-former-phoenix-coyotes-owner

McKenzie posted the following a week ago:

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Wayne Gretzky's presence at game in WSH last week has prompted rumors he's going to be next president of the Caps. 99 says no truth to them.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Gretzky: "Absolutely false. I just went to the game for fun." Gretzky said he was in D.C. on another matter and was invited by Ted Leonsis.

Well now he says Caps are on of the teams he's in talks with so there has to be something going on there..

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Yes I am there to take over GMGM job. Might as well quit now George....
President is Dick Patrick's current title but..yeah.

99 wasn't a good coach at all but maybe he could be a worthwhile executive. Hard to say. Maybe some of those same management ability concerns would translate over but he's at least fairly plugged in. A new set of eyes in some sort of capacity in the front office would sure be helpful, esp. if they can actually evaluate.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Can't be any worse, can it? I have no idea what he'd do, but:

I mean, if the team is worse, we get better draft picks.
If the team is better, we actually win something.

Win win, I'd say.

Liberati0n*

President is Dick Patrick's current title but..yeah.

99 wasn't a good coach at all but maybe he could be a worthwhile executive. Hard to say. Maybe some of those same management ability concerns would translate over but he's at least fairly plugged in. A new set of eyes in some sort of capacity in the front office would sure be helpful, esp. if they can actually evaluate.

Every time I've seen a Gretzky quote about any team or player it's been excessive praise and delivered in a kind of rambling, incoherent way that makes him just sound like an idiot. Granted I've only seen a couple of quotes, but they left a horrible impression.

Liberati0n*

gretzky.jpg

drake-and-nicki-minaj.jpg

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Every time I've seen a Gretzky quote about any team or player it's been excessive praise and delivered in a kind of rambling, incoherent way that makes him just sound like an idiot. Granted I've only seen a couple of quotes, but they left a horrible impression.
True but that's largely as an uninvolved fan. If he's in Patrick's position he would be doing a lot of corporate sponsorship work most likely. I could see it in that sense because it could be a mutually beneficial cashgrab (and something ownership certainly may prioritize). The product on the ice is kind of important, though. Best-case he's networked to the point where evaluation in a broad sense would be an improvement. Sure seems like more of a figurehead type but, again, in the right capacity that could be mutually beneficial for some club.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I can see it now. Gretzky replaces Patrick. McPhee stays as advisor and Pierre McGuire hired as GM. The team may suck, but the drama between all those will replace the ice entertainment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad