Gretzky’s OT goal vs McDavid’s OT goal

Who did it better?

• Total voters

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Gretzky's was more iconic because of the camera angle, Oilers being SH, and Sather's reaction.

On the other hand, McDavid's was the OT series winner and the biggest moment (yet) of his career.

Then you have Tikkanen 's which was the most important because it was a Game 7 OT winner, but the least spectacular goal of the three.

They are all special for their own reasons and I hold them in equal regard, just like Henderson, Lemieux, and Crosby's golden goals for Canada

Bobieque

Low n' Slow (Me & the Food)
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2006
High River
I can remember the #99 goal so vividly. Gretzky was injured during the season, and the Flames ended up higher in the standing. Going into that series, all the papers were "Is the Oilers time over? Is this now the start of a Flames dynasty?" and for the first time in a long while...we were being questioned as to if the Oilers could still produce.

I'm 16, watching the game on our Mitsubishi 50" rear projection television, and as Gretzky scored, I yelled "Sweep! We will Sweep this series!" I just remember that feeling that it was over, just a death knell for the Flames.

That ended up being true, but mine was a foolish "kid" thought, not based on any actual analysis or second guessing I do now.

That OT and goal is probably my most vivid memory of the Oilers (including Doug Weight's 100th point in a season, the Cujo save, the Pisani OT goal). So I have to pick it, until McDavid scores the OT winner that wins us the cup ;)

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
As long as 1991 is coming up in discussion...a young 34-year-old Chris Cuthbert was the PBP announcer for Tikkanen's series winner in Calgary. Got to do the same with McDavid's winner 31 years later.

You can say a lot about Markstrom, but at least he played better than Vernon.

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
As long as 1991 is coming up in discussion...a young 34-year-old Chris Cuthbert was the PBP announcer for Tikkanen's series winner in Calgary. Got to do the same with McDavid's winner 31 years later.

Tikkanen had the game of his life in Game 7. That long range shot with only a couple minutes left in the first period was the turning point in the game when the Oilers had been down by 3 goals. Yet another Oilers comeback vs the Flames LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad