Gretzky’s OT goal vs McDavid’s OT goal

Who did it better?

• Total voters

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

It’s actually funny how similar these are.

The audible gasp of the Calgary crowd as soon as he touches the puck, before the shot is even taken, like they know their team is f***ed already.

The “clank” sound of the puck hitting part of the bar.

The fact that both were assisted by their favourite wingman (Kurri and Drai) on nothing plays, but where the wingmen knew exactly where to pass the puck to.

Sather and Woodcroft celebrating on the elevated part of the bench.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
What (kind of) surprises me is how it's the exact same building, but the 1988 goal looks like it was either zoomed out more or shot from a much higher camera deck.

The sound of the net seems to be more of a "clunk" in Gretzky's goal vs. a "ping" in Connor's. Were the nets made with different dimensions or metals back then?

Reactions: Wretched Oil

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011

The audible gasp of the Calgary crowd as soon as he touches the puck, before the shot is even taken, like they know their team is f***ed already.

The fact that both were assisted by their favourite wingman (Kurri and Drai) on nothing plays, but where the wingmen knew exactly where to pass the puck to.

I love how we’ve been shitting on Calgary and their fans when it matters most for a good 49 years now.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton

That pass by Kurri I thought was Gretzky. Smart play

I loved that old school slapper goal. More of those needed

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Also both 5-4 goals scored on the 35th shot.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'll take McDavid's because he actually shot on a goaltender in position.

I understand that Vernon is one of the greats. But from where he was standing, there's no chance he was saving that shot.

Last edited:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'll take McDavid's because actually shot on a goaltender in position.

I understand that Vernon is one of the greats. But from where he was standing, there's no chance he was saving that shot.
Debatable if he’s one of the greats, he choked a lot in the playoffs.

On the other hand, Markstrom shriveled up into one of the smallest butterflies I’ve ever seen from a tall goalie on McDavid’s goal.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
The 97 goal was an opportunistic one based on a bunch of flame mistakes

Tkachuk lazy turnover at blue line
Hanafin lazy pass attempt to 13
13 Not engaging the dangerous player by turning away
Hanafin and Lindholm chasing drai while ignoring 97 ?????????
Tkachuk not recognizing danger of 97 and failure to rotate over to him
Markstrom getting cleanly beat

Last edited:

CageRage

Aug 15, 2009
What (kind of) surprises me is how it's the exact same building, but the 1988 goal looks like it was either zoomed out more or shot from a much higher camera deck.

The sound of the net seems to be more of a "clunk" in Gretzky's goal vs. a "ping" in Connor's. Were the nets made with different dimensions or metals back then?

The dimensions of the opening have stayed the same as far as I know, but the design of the nets has definitely changed. Doesn't surprise me that the sound is different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad