Confirmed with Link: Greiss to StL: 1yr, $1.25m

ValHaller

May 23, 2022
St. Louis, MO
charlie.jpg

He compared a politician negatively to Hitler! That means he likes Hitler!

And did you see those S's?!?? Nazi yetis! Nazi yetis!

Last edited:

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Twitter’s down so I can’t link it, but one of the advanced stat card guys showed Greiss as still being elite at not allowing rebounds. Rebound control has been a thing that has turned mediocre-to-bad goalies into all-stars here (Elliott, Hutton, Binner, Chucky Sideburns off the top of my head). So there’s something to be hopeful about performance-wise.

I wouldn’t have minded going with term for Lindgren though. I think Hofer is the future, but dude is still super young for a tendie. He had a big playoffs though, and maybe that changed the organizational outlook/timeline on him.

The right wing stuff is gross, and a pretty bad look. But TDA and Max Domi both just got yet another contract too, so obviously the league doesn’t care about it. Greiss isn’t the first for our team surely, and he won’t be the last. Until it becomes a locker room problem or he’s vocal about it, I’d rather not think about it. Ink is already on the paper.

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
Is there any specific examples of him doing/saying terrible things? I hadn't heard of any of this stuff prior to us signing him and after doing a google search, all I can really find is that he is outspoken in liking Trump and listening to Rush. I'm not exactly a fan of being in the extreme on either side of the political spectrum but its hardly a reason to brandish him as some abhorrent person. I think you'd find that quite a few players likely lean towards the right wing.

On ice, I have always thought he's been a competent goaltender (with the Isles). I don't mind it from that standpoint and think its a serviceable stopgap to allow Hofer and Ellis to develop.

Mar 6, 2012
If was a nazi he probably wouldn't be comparing politicians he doesn't like to Hitler.

That said, if his politics are so distracting and off-putting that the German team chose not to invite him, that does represent a real problem. Lots and lots of NHL players are conservative politically. Lots of them love Trump. Clearly something deeper was going on.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Allens Five Hole

Jan 17, 2017
If was a nazi he probably wouldn't be comparing politicians he doesn't like to Hitler.

That said, if his politics are so distracting and off-putting that the German team chose not to invite him, that does represent a real problem. Lots and lots of NHL players are conservative politically. Lots of them love Trump. Clearly something deeper was going on.
I think its something to be cognizant of but at the same time, I think that we also have to recognize Germany's history and sensitivity to anyone of German descent using Hitler's name as a comparison to ANYONE.

I think we can say the German National Team has every right to distance themselves from one of their players using that name while also recognizing that it isn't some monumental disaster, just a really stupid thing to say. I won't go any further down this rabbit hole as it's not necessarily hockey related and I have a pretty strong opinion about others comparing people they don't like to that name.

At the end of the day, if a player is good enough, a club team will deal with the baggage. We've seen it with other players, namely Tony DeAngelo.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I think it was the Hitler comparison that upset the German team given that is probably a sensitive topic for Germany. I don't actually think he was banned. According to the article I linked yesterday, one higher up said he was not going to play for him again over it, but Greiss was hurt so it was a moot point.

Also, I agree with your first sentence. Nothing I saw him accused of is more awful than what 90% of people post daily on social media (there could be more I have not seen). It's just that politics have become so polarized, the other side is automatically labeled evil. There is no room for discussion or disagreement anymore. I don't condone calling people names on social media, but again, its no worse than 90% of what you see on there from both sides.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
This thread turned for the worst. who cares about his politics, we should only care that this bum took chuckie's spot on the club. i will curse him until the end of time for that alone.

FIRE ARMSTRONG.

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
This is speculation and it’s false. Did a little digging and those 2 Ss where a tribute to his favorite bike brand Specialized Bicycles. If he was a Nazi he would not have lasted as long as he did. Far Right or Far left who gives a crap

That's as cheap an excuse as it can get. As a german you simply can't use this font for a double "s". No way. Specialized, my ass ... muhaha.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
Excellent signing as a one-year backup. Greiss has had a very good career.

Jennings Trophy in 2018-19

Career 2.72 GAA .912 save pct

Reactions: GoldenSeal

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
My initial reaction to the signing wasn’t positive. I don’t think he’s very good. At least not anymore.

But he’s serviceable and the Blues D should be at least above average so he’ll have a lot more support than he did in DET.

I wish Chucky well but we couldn’t nor shouldn’t have matched the 3 year term he got. We just need a 1-2 year stop-gap for Hofer.

I hadn’t heard any of this political stuff about Greiss before. Personally, my politics lean to the left but based on what I’ve seen so far, I’m more than willing to give this guy the benefit out the doubt. Comparing Hillary to Hitler was stupid but he apologized and that election was super charged. Hopefully clearer minds have prevailed. The SS and yeti things seem super flimsy to me. And I’m not even sure what he did wrong concerning Rush. He was sad he died? Ok…so? Lots of right leaning people liked Rush. That part of the story seems to be missing context.

There’s enough smoke here for concern but I can only hope that Army did his due diligence and is comfortable having this guy on the team and in the locker room.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have a hard time getting worked up over a European making comments about US politics. They rarely understand enough to be credible. If he said it about Clinton or Trump, I’d just roll my eyes a little and ignore it. Scrutinizing fonts and condemning people over ‘likes’ on political posts is just too much drama for me. It just doesn’t matter. No one is significantly benefited nor harmed by trivialities like that.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
the only valid reason to dislike him is due to his play on the ice and the fact that he took chuckie away from us

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
View attachment 568800
Choosing that font for "SS" is certainly a choice -- especially for a German. Add him to the list of players I don't want to root for.

And apparently the Yeti, too:

"In a museum in Italy, there is a Nazi yeti. Reputedly collected on the orders of Heinrich Himmler, it was stuffed and brought home as part of a 1930s expedition to Tibet. And the reason the Third Reich was so interested in it was, at least according to some accounts, because of a belief it could be a missing link to the Aryan master race."

Just when you thought a backup goalie signing would go quiet after 8 hours on opening day...

NAZI YETIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Das Boot --> Das Blues

Cough
Cough
Cough

Ok...just another day on the insane internet...back to reality in 5,4,3,2,1....

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Just when you thought a backup goalie signing would go quiet after 8 hours on opening day...

NAZI YETIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Das Boot --> Das Blues

Cough
Cough
Cough

Ok...just another day on the insane internet...back to reality in 5,4,3,2,1....
Tequila or vodka?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
should be more than adequate to back up binnington and came cheap. could careless whether he leans all the way right or all the way left and don't expect it to be an issue from him, but i guess it will rile posters up. if he picks #88 or something, i'll raise an eyebrow then

Reactions: Reality Czech

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Will you be saying the same thing if he gets shelled and becomes a below .900SV% and above 3GAA goalie?
no cause caps D is not is good as ours is. apples to oranges.

Chuckie was the perfect fit here. He deserved 2 yr deal IMO.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
no cause caps D is not is good as ours is. apples to oranges.

Chuckie was the perfect fit here. He deserved 2 yr deal IMO.
Based on 4 games he was perfect? Well then shiver me timbers. Scandella was perfect too in his few games after he was traded due to JBo.

Reactions: Blueston

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Based on 4 games he was perfect? Well then shiver me timbers. Scandella was perfect too in his few games after he was traded due to JBo.
AHL performance also, he was top 3 goalie. team played hard for him. imagine if he had full NHL roster unlike the roster he had when he was called up.

instead we dumpster dived for this bum.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
AHL performance also, he was top 3 goalie. team played hard for him. imagine if he had full NHL roster unlike the roster he had when he was called up.

instead we dumpster dived for this bum.
And before last year Lindgren was a below .900SV% goalie in the AHL as well. He had one good season at 28 years old in the AHL and a good 4 game stretch in the NHL against Dallas, Montreal, and Detroit. All teams who were in the bottom 1/2 in the league offensively.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
And before last year Lindgren was a below .900SV% goalie in the AHL as well. He had one good season at 28 years old in the AHL and a good 4 game stretch in the NHL against Dallas, Montreal, and Detroit. All teams who were in the bottom 1/2 in the league offensively.
people said same thing about binnington.

difference is, he kept getting a chance after 4 games. this team shafted chuckie.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
people said same thing about binnington.

difference is, he kept getting a chance after 4 games. this team shafted chuckie.
Binnington was 25 when he took over for Allen and went on the run.

Lindgren was 28 when he made his debut with the Blues.

Take out Lindgren's season in Springfield and he has a 0.885 save % in the AHL

For reference, Binnington had had a 0.915 save % in the AHL (0.906 save % in the AHL excluding 2018-2019 with San Antonio).

Their situations and performances are not remotely comparable. The only reason Binnington never got a chance sooner is because Armstrong viewed Allen as the long term solution as a starter, signed Hutton, and then replaced Hutton with Johnson. Husso was also viewed as the better prospect.

Since Binnington was drafted, the following goalies were in the org that blocked his playing time in the NHL or AHL:

-Bishop
-Halak
-Miller
-Hutton
-Johnson
-Husso
-Elliott
-Allen

5 legit starters or tandem goalies, 1 good backup, and 1 bad backup.

Meanwhile, here's who Lindgren's competition was in Montreal:

-Price
-Tokarsi
-Condon
-Scrivens
-Montoya
-Niemi
-Kinkaid
-Primeau
-Allen

1 bonafide stud (Price),1 tandem goalie (Allen), and a bunch of garbage/AHL fodder.

Lindgren didn't beat any of those guys out in Montreal for a long period of time.

Comparing Binnington to Lindgren is a complete farce in terms of performance and situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad