Player Discussion Greg Pateryn - Part 2 **Mod Warning Post 33, Read before posting**

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I'm a MB fan but he should not of reveled his cards by wanting to trade Pateryn to the entire NHL (because of what his wife said). Seems like he acted too fast and prematurely and now the Habs gets screwed because Pateryn value has probably gone from a 4th round pick to a 6th or 7th round pick ish.

I bet MB is trying to trade Pateryn to acquire a player at similar age and similar contract left. Problem for a problem type deal?

I think it was deliberate sabotage to avoid trading him. He's necessary.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Are all the bad comments made by Francophones ? I don't think so.

And it would be the same in every hockey markets anyway. Fans on social medias are rude, very rude.

And Pateryn is very much liked by a good 90% of the fans, anyway.

Who said something really nasty about him ? I don't remember.

DD would have all the reasons to be totally mad. He's blasted by everyone for no f... reasons. He was not the one chosing where to play and how many minutes he would get.

I'm making a general comment about what is said about players and management. It's not normal. Or at least shouldn't be.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
At some point these players and their spouses have to understand that a good chunk of their salaries is paid by those local "French" fans.

Actually they are paid by Molson , who's revenue comes from mostly non-french fans... they are a global company.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Pateryn's wife can't be that stupid. She wouldn't openly jeopardize Pateryn's career in Montréal with a comment like that if Pateryn didn't agree to it in the first place. If that comment was made completely behind Pateryn's back, she probably isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Pateryn actually wanted out. We've been talking for a while how come he doesn't get a chance to play more consistently. Going back to last year, people have been happy with his game and thought he deserved more consistent ice-time... He probably feels the same way.

NHL careers are a race against the clock. He turns 27 this summer and hasn't had a chance to establish himself yet, even though he probably should have been a staple on our third pair at this point. I wouldn't blame him if he's angry and bitter at Therrien for not giving him a proper chance.

Jul 6, 2016
Pateryn's wife can't be that stupid. She wouldn't openly jeopardize Pateryn's career in Montréal with a comment like that if Pateryn didn't agree to it in the first place. If that comment was made completely behind Pateryn's back, she probably isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Pateryn actually wanted out. We've been talking for a while how come he doesn't get a chance to play more consistently. Going back to last year, people have been happy with his game and thought he deserved more consistent ice-time... He probably feels the same way.

NHL careers are a race against the clock. He turns 27 this summer and hasn't had a chance to establish himself yet, even though he probably should have been a staple on our third pair at this point. I wouldn't blame him if he's angry and bitter at Therrien for not giving him a proper chance.

Of course, Pateryn (and his wife) had good reasons to not like MT (French or not), but with a coaching change, he-she could had been a bit more patient before throwing out such comments. CJ has to evaluate his staff before making more permanent decisions. She jumped the Twitter gun way too fast. And that is why Twitter is such a moronic invention.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
If by "spoke her mind" you mean insulted the fanbase he's playing in, I disagree. You can't do this kind of thing and expect to remain employed in the city you're playing in. Stupid move on her part too. This guy isn't exactly a star and there is the possibility that if he was put on waivers he could clear. Fringe NHL players don't need this kind of controversy and she should put the Twitter down.

Which was probably the point of it all. I could easily see a situation where Pateryn had quietly asked for more ice-time or failing that a trade. But Bergevin would be in no rush to deal him unless he got something good in return. This forces Begervin's hand and he'll now likely accept something less then he would've before which makes a trade much more likely

And really if I was any other team in the NHL I would care less about this "controversy"

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And really if I was any other team in the NHL I would care less about this "controversy"

.... Well, she wouldn't exactly do a disparaging comment on English people, right?

Which was probably the point of it all. I could easily see a situation where Pateryn had quietly asked for more ice-time or failing that a trade. But Bergevin would be in no rush to deal him unless he got something good in return. This forces Begervin's hand and he'll now likely accept something less then he would've before which makes a trade much more likely

....And besides, Bergevin absolutely doesn't HAVE to trade Pateryn now. I mean, Pateryn is contractually obliged for next season. Optics are bad, but it isn't himself who said that.

Last edited:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Only way his wife knows anything is if he was ranting about his playing time to her. Looks like she's taking things in her own hands. In her defense, Gregs career was in limbo with the Habs. They clearly didn't see him as a top 6 D and he's fast approaching 30.

Judging from what she said, she knows.

Besides, who would go to bat for you if you're not even upset yourself?

Logically he ranted and she took it in her own hands as well.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Trading him isn't a certainty and he will definately not put him through waivers. Unless he gets a similar asset back, I doubt he goes anywhere.

Feels more like a shot across the bow than anything else. Just like when Toronto put Laich on waivers the other day. If a team what's you, you're available. If not, shut the **** up and play when we need you to.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
There's nothing wrong with ranting to your wife. I don't think Greg Pateryn is to blame for this fiasco. She clearly lacks self control and judgment. Nothing that communication between team and Pateryn can't resolve.

Poochie_D

Oct 31, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
He's the perfect #6.

And teams are going to rightfully offer a similar package to what we gave up for Nesterov. Him and Beaulieu on the third pairing is perfect. It's a shame that he'll be traded.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
There's nothing wrong with ranting to your wife. I don't think Greg Pateryn is to blame for this fiasco. She clearly lacks self control and judgment. Nothing that communication between team and Pateryn can't resolve.

Greg Pateryn is not at fault here. If he's frustrated, he never made it public. He confided in his wife, which any husband will do this. He could have also have approached Bergevin to share his grievances. Either way, he kept it professional. The only way I would lay blame on Greg is if he gave the green light to his wife to post what she posted. I don't think that's the case but there is also no way in knowing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad