Player Discussion Greg Pateryn - Part 2 **Mod Warning Post 33, Read before posting**

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Nothing wrong with Edmonton bud.

Signed: Edmonton resident

I remember taking a plane to Edmonton for work last year. I was at a company and a guy came up to me and introduced himself just as I was leaving to go home, asked me if I was around there. I politely told him no, that I was from Montreal and he paused, asked me how it was like. I told him something normal, that Montreal was a big city but most cities are liveable and good enough. He just responded "Edmonton sucks" laughed and that was last time I saw him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So I'm not sure why people feel Pateryn isn't responsible for his wife's comments. Let's be honest, he may not be the one that said it but it's very unlikely he's not letting her in on his frustration. Maybe she went too far on her own and he shouldn't be held accountable for that, sure. Thing is all it takes it a habs PR guy or coach to ask him, "What do YOU believe?" and he'll either bury his wife by downplaying the event or expedite a trade.

I believe it's somewhere with the latter, that he probably echoed the frustration without repeating the same words. Management says, we'll skip the headache because you're not special.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He has obviously been frustrated and constantly grumbling at home with his wife. You can sense it in his comments after Therrien was fired about how he always felt he was breathing down his neck. He has to do everything he can to impress Julien and stay in the lineup over Nesterov. Unfortunately his crazy wife hasn't helped his cause.

muzion

Oct 5, 2007
St-Hubert, Québec
Stefani is one of us :laugh:

3-1.jpg

:laugh:

If Bergevin trades Patetyn because his wife spoke her mind then he's less of a man than I thought...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

If Bergevin trades Patetyn because his wife spoke her mind then he's less of a man than I thought...

Pateryn is a solid #6 that costs very little. MB will not get a current NHL player in return. He might get a 4th rounder. Why would you trade a roster player that is needed for a late round pick. If he does this then he truly is unqualified to be a GM

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
Agree also. I don't see Pateryn as expendable at all. Why would MB make him avail in a memo to all teams like he did?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
So I'm not sure why people feel Pateryn isn't responsible for his wife's comments. Let's be honest, he may not be the one that said it but it's very unlikely he's not letting her in on his frustration. Maybe she went too far on her own and he shouldn't be held accountable for that, sure. Thing is all it takes it a habs PR guy or coach to ask him, "What do YOU believe?" and he'll either bury his wife by downplaying the event or expedite a trade.

I believe it's somewhere with the latter, that he probably echoed the frustration without repeating the same words. Management says, we'll skip the headache because you're not special.

Only way his wife knows anything is if he was ranting about his playing time to her. Looks like she's taking things in her own hands. In her defense, Gregs career was in limbo with the Habs. They clearly didn't see him as a top 6 D and he's fast approaching 30.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

If by "spoke her mind" you mean insulted the fanbase he's playing in, I disagree. You can't do this kind of thing and expect to remain employed in the city you're playing in. Stupid move on her part too. This guy isn't exactly a star and there is the possibility that if he was put on waivers he could clear. Fringe NHL players don't need this kind of controversy and she should put the Twitter down.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Agree also. I don't see Pateryn as expendable at all. Why would MB make him avail in a memo to all teams like he did?

It's possibly retribution for his wife's comments on Twitter. Look what happened to Mike Cammalleri when he expressed some dissatisfaction when the team was playing poorly. The Habs can be like the Spanish Inquisition. Heresy will be dealt with harshly.

It may be also that Pateryn simply asked for a trade, but it doesn't feel like just a hockey deal to me.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Pateryn is a solid #6 that costs very little. MB will not get a current NHL player in return. He might get a 4th rounder. Why would you trade a roster player that is needed for a late round pick. If he does this then he truly is unqualified to be a GM

Well, I'm not sure about the bolded, but I agree that trading Pateryn for a pick doesn't make much sense. I mean, we've seen our defensive depth when we rolled with the likes of Barberio-Johnson for a month and we should know by now that that is not an option. Pateryn/Nesterov are fine as #6/7.

Jul 6, 2016
I think it's more about the anti French comments.

At some point these players and their spouses have to understand that a good chunk of their salaries is paid by those local "French" fans.

Jul 6, 2016
Well, I'm not sure about the bolded, but I agree that trading Pateryn for a pick doesn't make much sense. I mean, we've seen our defensive depth when we rolled with the likes of Barberio-Johnson for a month and we should know by now that that is not an option. Pateryn/Nesterov are fine as #6/7.

If MB had a real intention of trading him, they would not had dressed him for yesterday's night game. He might had been injured and untradable. They just wanted to send him a message, to him and his wife.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
At some point these players and their spouses have to understand that a good chunk of their salaries is paid by those local "French" fans.

We used to have a guy that was so appreciative of that very fact that he decided to give back in the best way that he could.

Jul 6, 2016
We used to have a guy that was so appreciative of that very fact that he decided to give back in the best way that he could.

Most of the players are good guys and understand the cultural environnement they are working in. But you have always a couple of morons who don't.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
Not justifying her comments at all but the flip side is that the comments made about players on this board are often extremely insulting. That must have an impact on players and family.

Jul 6, 2016
We traded that guy because he was a distraction.

I am not talking about PK. Of course, he was perfect in the community. Hockey wise, he has his bright sides and bad sides, and in the famous room, I dunno. And no one really knows.

Jul 6, 2016
Not justifying her comments at all but the flip side is that the comments made about players on this board are often extremely insulting. That must have an impact on players and family.

Are all the bad comments made by Francophones ? I don't think so.

And it would be the same in every hockey markets anyway. Fans on social medias are rude, very rude.

And Pateryn is very much liked by a good 90% of the fans, anyway.

Who said something really nasty about him ? I don't remember.

DD would have all the reasons to be totally mad. He's blasted by everyone for no f... reasons. He was not the one chosing where to play and how many minutes he would get.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm a MB fan but he should not of reveled his cards by wanting to trade Pateryn to the entire NHL (because of what his wife said). Seems like he acted too fast and prematurely and now the Habs gets screwed because Pateryn value has probably gone from a 4th round pick to a 6th or 7th round pick ish.

I bet MB is trying to trade Pateryn to acquire a player at similar age and similar contract left. Problem for a problem type deal?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad