Player Discussion Greg Pateryn - Part 2 **Mod Warning Post 33, Read before posting**

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
There's nothing wrong with ranting to your wife. I don't think Greg Pateryn is to blame for this fiasco. She clearly lacks self control and judgment. Nothing that communication between team and Pateryn can't resolve.

Agreed, she's his wife for a reason, he trusts her.

The only thing is if they've openly communicated things along the lines "This French ****". That might not go over so well even if it's to his wife.

Other than that, she did him a favor deleting her twitter. No self control. Let him talk to his boss himself.

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Judging from what she said, she knows.

Besides, who would go to bat for you if you're not even upset yourself?

Logically he ranted and she took it in her own hands as well.

So what ? Now you can't rant about anything even in your private life ? Of course he talked to his wife about the way this team/coach treated him, what's the problem ?

It's not his fault if his wife was stupid enough to insult French people on Twitter.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So what ? Now you can't rant about anything even in your private life ? Of course he talked to his wife about the way this team/coach treated him, what's the problem ?

It's not his fault if his wife was stupid enough to insult French people on Twitter.

When did I say he can't rant about anything to his wife?:popcorn:

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
... Unless he is part of a package that would bring to the Habs a top-player.

But one on one ?

Well yeah I mean if you can get a better player, sure. But to me he seems like an ideal 3rd pairing player. I wouldn't trade him for a low pick or something.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
Unbelievable... learn to control your emotions for God's sake... Now she's put Pateryn in an extremely difficult and awkward situation, both with the organization and the media.

Every relationship is different, but personally I would hope to be able to confide in my spouse and vent my frustrations about work without them posting it on the internet for all to see... I really find it hard to fault Pateryn himself on this one, other than maybe his choice in a life partner.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Considering Markov-Petry is here to stay, and as long as Emelin is playing with Weber....

I'd probably never even scratch Pateryn to begin with, because he and Beaulieu complelment each other perfectly.

If Beaulieu is moved up with Weber...? Well, the key player on the 3rd pairing probably becomes Emelin. In which case, pick the guy with whom if fits better, presumably Nesterov, and run with this.

I can see Emelin pairing with Petry if Beaulieu moves to the top pair. Markov then plays 3rd pair with Nesterov/Pateryn.

Markov gets lots of PK and PP time and can slot in with Weber when needed.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Now that's a comment that needs sources. #alternativenomics

Well according to Forbes the revenue is 202m, and the gate revenue is 76m. So most of the money they make isn't from fans paying for tickets.
http://www.forbes.com/teams/montreal-canadiens/

That said, most of the difference is probably merchandise and a large amount of merchandise will be bought by francophone fans. But on the flip side there's a sizeable chunk of the gate revenue coming from anglophone fans and corporations. So it's probably pretty hard to know for sure.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
.... Well, she wouldn't exactly do a disparaging comment on English people, right?

Even had she said something about English people, or black people, or jewish people, or any group. As a GM it would have 0 impact on whether I trade for the guy or not.

....And besides, Bergevin absolutely doesn't HAVE to trade Pateryn now. I mean, Pateryn is contractually obliged for next season. Optics are bad, but it isn't himself who said that.

Fine, but we have a history of trading away people who cause controversy. So it certainly makes a trade more likely which is probably why she said what she did in the first place.

Personally I'd have more respect for Bergevin if he stuck by him, but we'll see.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Even had she said something about English people, or black people, or jewish people, or any group. As a GM it would have 0 impact on whether I trade for the guy or not.

Fine, but we have a history of trading away people who cause controversy. So it certainly makes a trade more likely which is probably why she said what she did in the first place.

Personally I'd have more respect for Bergevin if he stuck by him, but we'll see.

6'3, 220 lbs...reliable 5-6 defenseman that has some physicality. Why aren't we dressing this guy?

I'd be amazed if nobody makes an offer on him and his 575k salary.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well according to Forbes the revenue is 202m, and the gate revenue is 76m. So most of the money they make isn't from fans paying for tickets.
http://www.forbes.com/teams/montreal-canadiens/

That said, most of the difference is probably merchandise and a large amount of merchandise will be bought by francophone fans. But on the flip side there's a sizeable chunk of the gate revenue coming from anglophone fans and corporations. So it's probably pretty hard to know for sure.

With regards, I'm pretty sure you missed the point. The user quoted a post explaining the corporate arrangements of Habs Ownership/Molson that were... let's just say, alternative.

I'd also add that you have to include the TV/Radio deal. I don't know how the "National" deal is accounted in that 202M$ but there has to be at least some of it.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

First paragraph : With regards, that isn,t a reply to my post, and you know it.

Second : Fair enough. But I'd add that all those traded players were themselves controversial. Pateryn himself isn't. His signficant other is. And please don't put Louis Leblanc in the same basket.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
6'3, 220 lbs...reliable 5-6 defenseman that has some physicality. Why aren't we dressing this guy?

I'd be amazed if nobody makes an offer on him and his 575k salary.

I agree. We're going to be hard pressed to find better at that price. I'd rather they hold on to him and deal with the fallout in the summer, should there even be a fallout.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
I agree. We're going to be hard pressed to find better at that price. I'd rather they hold on to him and deal with the fallout in the summer, should there even be a fallout.

GP has been doing decent in the last few games and yes, at this size we desperately need it since our 1st pairing appears to have caught PLEKITUS and is now suddenly made of glass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad